Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

US Optics with Lund reticle- Pics

Bear1142

Okay guys, here are some pics of the new reticle in the US Optics SN-4 1x4 scope.

First, sorry for the quality of the pics. I was trying to hold the rifle, camera, and focus all at the same time, but you should get an idea of what the reticle looks like and the strength of the illumination.

The reticle is designed to be zeroed at 200 yds. directly in the center of the 2 MOA center dot. The tip of the stadia post is your 300 yd impact point. The first small hash is the 350 point, followed by the 400, 450, 500, 550, and 600 hold points. The horizontal stadia lines at 400, 500, and 600 represent 10 mph full value crosswinds at those distances. The large outer ring is used for the up close, run & gun targets. Just throw the large circle in the center of the target and let'em rip and you'll have two A's, knowing that all you hits will be located inside the large ring. It's very fast up close.

I will try to get some magnified pics if I can get the camera to cooperate. Here you go...

03332.JPG

03829.JPG

04220.JPG

04018.JPG

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green? No red?

BTW, how about taking it out and putting the stadia lines on 8" and 10" targets at distances and telling us how much they cover? My current optic, no names mentioned, completely covered the 400yd targets at RM3G, which was not a good thing...

Edited by ken hebert

Thank you. Looks like it was worth the wait. How is the illumination outdoors on a bright day? From your pics it seems pretty bright but you are still partially indoors. I'm also interested in battery life after you get some more play time with it. How do you turn the illumination on and off? Any auto-shutoff? That reticle simply makes sense!!!

I notice that Swarovski introduced its BRT-I reticle for the Z6 1x6 in July which looks similar but without the large illuminated ring for close up targets (has the center dot and stadia which look identical). Price is $2300 for the illuminated version so I guess I don't have to worry about either one.

Ken,

It comes in green or red but USO suggested green as it would be brighter than the red.

Erik,

As I've said in the other thread, I love the reticle design - I'm just worried about the illumination. I'd love to see it side by side w/ the new Swarovski or a Meopta. I'll also try to find you at the 3GN shoot-off next week to look at it in the desert sun.

Edited by grywlfbg

Ken,

You can have your choice of either green or red. I went with green as it's a bit brighter during daytime.

The stadia lines are about the same thickness as the Leupold MR/T SPR reticle. They are pretty thin. I've not had any issues with the stadia lines obscuring long range MGM flashers.

How do you turn the illumination on and off? Any auto-shutoff?

There is a large illumination dial on the left side of the scope with 11 intensity settings. No there is no auto-shutoff

Regarding the visibility of the illumination during daytime. The illumination will be washed out in bright sunlight. It's very difficult to overcome the power of bright sunlight with a battery powered diode. USO has the strongest diode available in the size required to fit within the scope body. You are only going to get it so strong. Everyone in the optics industry is fighting the same battle, more or less. The only company that really has the best solution so far is Trijicon, but they use fiber optic technology, not diode powered batteries as their primary lighting source. The USO illumination is daytime visible, but not compared to bright sunlight. In a light source other than a bright noon sun, it is visible, but it will never be as bright as an Aimpoint or an EOTech scope; they use different technology that is not compatible with internally magnified optics. The USO's illumination is comparable to all the other scopes (Nightforce, Meopta, Burris, Swarovoski, Leupold, etc.) on the market.

I will not be at the 3-Gun Nationals this weekend. My Brother choose this weekend to get married. I'm happy for him, but I'm :angry: at missing the Nationals and the finals of 3-Gun Nation! I will however, be at the Ozark 3-Gun match at the end of Sept. for all those that would like to take a look at the scope.

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

It's designed for 68/69's at 2,850 fps, but also works with 75/77's at 2,700 fps. Basically any heavyweight bullet works.

The reticle is designed around the heavy bullets, but you can use 55's. Due to the flatter trajectory, you have to take a 6 o'clock hold on the target once you start getting over 300 yards, but it will work with a little practice.

Erik

• 2 weeks later...

Is this thing on the shelves? I can't find it on the US Optics website.

Chris Patty at CPWSA is supposed to be the exclusive dealer of that model. He did have some in stock but I heard they were going fast.

Erik and I were at the range today doing some zero confirmation work before the Ozark match. The reticle was dead nuts out to 500 shooting a 69 SMK at 2850. All the 50 yard increments were spot on as well.

The scope is illuminated. Not to terribly visible in afternoon light. But the design of the reticle is crisp and fast without illumination. I actually preferred shooting it without illumination.

I think the 2nd revision of the reticle turned out excellent. Not cluttered. Very precise and fast. It was easy to hold a 4" group on a 5"x5" head at 400 yards.

I dont know that I'd call it reasonable if the illumination is weak during the day. Plus it's twice the price if the Meopta and Accupoint. Now if it was a 1-5x or even better a 1-6x it would be a bargain.

How is the glass compared to the popular Accupoint and Meopta models?

I am going to be hunting down Mr. Lund to take a peak through this thing in MO for sure.

The glass is phenomenal. Its every bit as good as the expensive European scopes. FOV is monstrous on 1x. Yeah....Illumination is kinda weak in bright daylight. But once you see the reticle. You'll see its not all that important for speed.

I'll say its definitely worth looking at in MO.