Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock owner considering a switch to M&P

CJ1

I've been shooting Glocks for about the last 12 years. I like Glocks, but the ergonomics have always been somewhat lacking for me. After the trouble I've had with my Gen4 G17(persistant FT Eject malfunctions), I've been considering a switch to the M&P. I did get to shoot an M&P, and I liked it. It fit my hand better than the Glock, and I shoot it a little better, it also didn't malfunction unlike my Glock.

I'm just looking for opinions from M&P owners, preferrably those who also have experience with Glocks. Which do you like better between the two platforms? Are there any problems with M&P's that I should be aware of? Any other information I should consider?

Thanks!

I used to shoot Glock then went to the XD when it came out then picked up the M&P and have never liked a handgun out of the box more. Truth is there is much to like about the M&P and with more after market parts making their way to the market it is much better than the glock. A big plus is not having the plastic guide rod like the glocks do. I have over 5,000 rounds through mine without a hickup. M&Ps are made in the USA unlike glock and XD so thats a good reason also.

Lot's of info on the M&P's on this forum. I used to have a Glock 20 and liked it. I miss it, but unfortunately the 20 & 21 are the only glocks that my hand remotely fits (Big hands). My M&P Pro has almost 8,000 rounds through it and hasn't had one single malfunction (knock on wood). It's stock, but I have future plans to throw in some Apex parts. There have been some issues with some M&P's, but it's not any different than any other firearm.

-Drew

I switched from Glock to MnP for competitions. I still carry a G19 everyday and probably wont change. If it aint broke dont fix it.

The switch was made for a couple of reasons.

1. I like the ergonomics of the MnP better. Just fits nicer in my hands.

2. After shooting both makes with trigger jobs done on them I like the MnP trigger feel better.

I am just as accurate with either but the MnP just feels better and gives me that extra bit of confidence. Having that extra bit of confidence is well worth the switch.

Not to be the one to chime in but I just bought a CZ Shadow Custom and that my friend is the best production gun I believe. Just my 2 pennies :cheers: Try one and see if you dont put that m&p down. lol

Edited by G34 CORDY

When I first stated out shooting, it was with Glocks. Second month I bought a G17 and then a G35. I learned the more I tinkered, the more trouble I got myself into. I also found that it wasn't always so perfect. I traded up to a 1911 platform, and then an XD, which I still like. I picked up an M&P not very long ago. Right out of the box, it fit my hand better than the Glock or XD. My first time out, I shot it better than my XD and Glock, like putting on an old pair of shoes. It did shoot a little left, but it grouped tight, and recoiled better than the Glock and XD hands down.

There are so many things about the M&P that I liked over Glock. You can definitely tell that it received input by shooters, it's very well thought out. It covered most of the gripes I had about the Glock. If I could be picky, I only wish the take down lever folded away the breech like the XDm. Because it creates a natural support hand thumb rest that I really like about my XDm.

Other than that, the M&P is showing a lot of promise. So far it's been perfect the few times I've shot it. It's funny how a timer can make a gun choke, so I'd be interested to see how she holds up.

I've long since gotten rid of the Glocks, but I still have the XD, and now an XDm. But I am really liking the M&P.

Even though I never shot them a lot, I've had a few Glocks for years. A while back, I ended up getting a M&P .40 in a trade, and was pretty impressed that, right out of the box, it would run my "production" loads. With my Glock 35, I had to put in a reduced power recoil spring to get it to reliably run less than 140pf loads.

I took the M&P, and the Glock 35 to the range and shot a bunch of drills with both guns, and was really surprised to see that I always shot the M&P faster, and more accurate than the Glock.

I ended up buying a Pro, in 9mm, and ran the same drills with it against my Glock 34, and the edge went to the M&P again.

When Apex finally came out with their "competition" kit, a little while ago, I put a set in my Pro. Even though my trigger gauge says it doesn't break until 36 oz. it seems to feel a lot lighter. I have most of my 1911s, and 2011s set around 20 oz. and although I've never had an issue with them, yesterday, when I was at the range, trying some loads, I had the Pro going off a couple of times a little early, while "prepping" the trigger.

I'm planning to shoot the Pro for the rest of the year, now that I like the trigger, and forsee going up a class in production division. :surprise:

I went from a Gen 2 G17 to a 9-pro and love it.

Both have stock triggers/connectors and the M&P trigger feels better. Points better, balances better; just feels better.

The glock kind of feels blocky and top heavy to me now, not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

I don't know how I could stand shooting the glock with the pinchy trigger safety in the middle of the trigger for so many years.

My 17 has Dawson adj sights, A-grip fuzzy wrap around grip and an extended mag release and runs fine. M&P only needs Dawson sights and it runs fine too. The texture of the M&P grip is just right for me although I think someone is making a sandpaper type of grip for the backstrap insert.

I am seriously considering a small M&P for carry over a G23 or G27 mainly because of the thickness but a thumb safety is nice too.

BTW I was pointed in the M&P direction by a glock shooter who is now an M&P shooter. Seems like a lot of tupperware shooters are moving from Austrian to American plastic, including many big L.E.A.'s.

Here's my $.02:

I own three Glocks and I own 3 M&P's in different flavors. Since getting the M&P's, I haven't even considered using the Glocks. They are great shooting guns and they have all been 100% reliable for me using various factory ammo. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Hello: I like the M&P's that I have shot but just don't like the radius of the trigger and how it pivots. I will stick with the Gen 3 Glocks since I can get parts and work on them myself. Thanks, Eric

Are you trying to say you can't buy any parts or much less work on an M&P yourself? There is much flawed with your comment starting with Hello. JMHO

Glocks have never been comfortable for me to shoot. I have shot, can shoot, and will continue to shoot one as needed but I never look forward to it. Once I tried an M&P I was sold. The more I worked with it, the better it got and the better I was with it.

I handed it to a couple guys this weekend to check out the trigger and the thoughts on were quite good. "That's even good for a 1911 trigger..nevermind a plastic gun." It's been worked over pretty well but continues to run no matter how much I tinker with it.

I run the large grip insert, but I've thinned down the sides and made the back flat. Indexes like a 1911, even more so than before. I don't even notice the hinged trigger when shooting. Slide sits low on the hand, like a Glock so it's not top heavy (XD, Sig).

I've started promoting them so hard, I should be getting paid for it. I just really, really like the M&P's. After messing the borrowed 9Pro for 2 weeks, I bought a compact to carry.

I just picked up an M&P Pro 5" in 9mm last weekend and so far am really liking it. :D

I will be shooting it at our weekly indoor match tomorrow night so we will see how I do in an actual match with it.

I have been shooting a .40 XD service 4" for the last year and a few months ago I borrowed a friends 4" M&P to classify in SSP and missed Expert by 1.07 seconds. Not too bad for only having shot that gun at the range once before that. :D