Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus 1911

muleymaniac81

your going to get alot of people saying to just spend the extra money and get something better. Im going to say that Taurus 1911 will work fine for you. When i picked that thing up at gunshop i was at, i just grabbed it, pointed and pulled the trigger i just thought to myself ''very sweet''

I've seen too many problems with Taurus pistols and revolvers. I don't recomment them. All I can think is that you will need warrentee work for it eventually and their repair time isn't the best.

It's a cheap way to get into shooting but if you can wait, save up and buy something else.

I do own one Taurus. A 24-7 in 40 S&W that I keep in my glove box. I got it from and FBI friend of mine that didn't like it but the deal was ok. I'll probably sell it soon. I've put a box of shells through it with no FTF for FTEs so this one is o.k.

My 1911 ran great right out of the box. The only real problem I had was that the thumb safety liked to work it's way loose. I replaced a couple of other parts just to be safe, but nothing else broke.

If you do a search, you will find mixed results. Most of the people who have owned the Tuarus 1911 really like it. A lot of people will tell you there are better guns out there for not much more money. Then there are the people who will tell you Taurus sucks, even though they have never shot one.

I have a Taurus PT1911 and have had no problems what so ever from it other than the finish is a little thin but my god i have shot the piss out of it in IDPA and it will eat anything i put through it and is very accurate. as far a barrel fit goes it is up there with some of the sti and springfields go that are at the matches i shoot in. like the first person said u will hear everyone say oh dont buy that gun save up get something else. well if i just happened to get a good one and you have problems i am sorry but all guns no matter the price tag can break and malfunction. the rra is a good price no doubt but if you get the base gun you will have to up grade it some.

My PT1911 has been very solid. I also bought a Springfield TRP (used) as a backup gun for the PT1911 but never needed it.

I started shooting USPSA Limited so I sold the TRP. I still have the PT1911. :rolleyes:

If the PT1911 has the features you want, go for it. Like any gun you should inspect closely, any example from any brand can have problems. If you want a popular brand, get something else.

On mine I replaced the mainspring housing with a Smith and Alexander unit that has a mag well, added a set of olive color Alumagrips cut for the mag well, and a Dawson front sight. I ground down the inner lips of the mag well to blend with the Taurus' beveled mag well. Its slicker than snake snot! :D

I also did a detailed strip to clean and inspect which broke the connection between the two parts of the ambi safety. After a while they started to come lose and I had to replace it - went to a single-sided unit. As I understand it that is a common issues with 1911 ambi's. I suspect if I had left it alone it likely would have been fine.

As a side note, I've been wanting a 9mm 1911 for some time. I've not gotten one of the many fine brands that exist today because I've been waiting for the Taurus 9mm 1911 to hit the streets. I've waited over 2 years (who knows how much longer

I have a PT 1911 and had a couple of problems with mine. It shot 4-5in hi or low(don't remember which now) at 50ft. I sent it in and Taurus replaced the barrel, It shoots very good now. The other issue, light strikes, showed up after shooting 2-300 rds. The shop I bought it from had a local gunsmith look at it and this was something to do with the firing pin safety, He fixed it and have not had this problem again.

With that being said, after those issue were fixed the gun has went through a few thousand rounds of practice and shooting it in single stack with no issues. The gun is accurate and feeds reliably. For the money I still think they are a good deal, but I think if you consider resale value also you will find Springfield, Kimber, STI easier to get money back on if you decide to sell.

Bob

I don't own one but have spent some time behinds a friends and it is a pretty nice gun for the price. It feeds everything and is very accurate. Everybody wants to put it down but how many posts and how many times at the range have you seen people have issues with an STI, SA, Kimber, etc...? You can run into an issue with all of them but for the price a Taurus makes tweaking them to you liking pretty affordable.

I do not own a PT1911 but I have run over 1k rounds through one a friend owns. He shot SS division for a year with it and loves it. This is a guy who has some NICE guns and the Taurus is his go to 1911.

I have several other buddies with them that love them and a .38 super is on my wish list...

I picked up a stainless steel version in .38 super for the dealer price of a glock and I can't be more pleased for the money. The fit was good, the accuarcy was great and the reliability was there so I plan on picking up the 9mm model when they become available again. The first batch or so may have been rough but mine is just as nice as the last Spartan I purchased. With the checkering, ambi's, a good trigger out the box and a good beavertail it's really hard to find more that needs to be done. Other opinions may vary of course, but I'm very happy.

I've owned a stainless PT-1911 for 2 1/2 years and shoot it regularly in USPSA Single Stack. The only changes I've made was convert the ambi safety to a single side Wilson Combat, Wilson 47D mags to run 200 gr SWC bullets and Novak fiber optic sights. I found the follower on the original Taurus mags had a tendency to pop out if they were dropped with rounds in the mag. I ultimately traced the problem to early version Taurus mag springs had 4 small turns above the larger lower turns. Later versions had 6 small turns and don't have the problem. I found Taurus Customer Service to be informed and responsive. Turnaround for the 6 mags I returned was about 14 days from the day I shipped them back. They paid both ways. I have nothing but good to say about their products. I also recently purchased an older model 66 in .357 mag for $250. It's fitted nearly as well and shoots as good as my Smith Model 19. What's not to like?

:surprise:

I have folks send me other manufacturers of 1911 and I replace disconnector,

sear,tweak the thumb safety or add an ambi they spend more money overall

then you will with the Taurus 1911, I believe Ive tweaked four of them , none

of them was not working folks just wanted to add what they wanted.

Some folks will tell Taurus pistols are a problem, Ive got a couple of them,

my son has them also. I dont believe you can go wrong. Inmy opinion the

top 1911 type is Caspian.

:D

Jim/Pa

Sailors :devil::roflol:

:surprise:

I have folks send me other manufacturers of 1911 and I replace disconnector,

sear,tweak the thumb safety or add an ambi they spend more money overall

then you will with the Taurus 1911, I believe Ive tweaked four of them , none

of them was not working folks just wanted to add what they wanted.

Some folks will tell Taurus pistols are a problem, Ive got a couple of them,

my son has them also. I dont believe you can go wrong. Inmy opinion the

top 1911 type is Caspian.

:D

Jim/Pa

Sailors :devil::roflol:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107440

I bought mine when I was a poor student and really wanted a 1911. At the time I think they went for around 450-500 and I am happy spending somewhere around that amount. Now they are considerably more expensive and less of a value.

I can tell you that they are filled with bottom drawer parts, most everything has broken on mine and been replaced with better bits. I even had the front sight fly off into oblivion one day.

I think there are better values at the price point they are at right now, and I don't put Kimber on that list.

I've had two. The first was white station wagon that my wife loved until she totaled it. The air bags worked as advertised, she and the kids where fine. No complaints. The second was a blued .45 that ran great, accurate and easy to shoot well. I sold it to fund another project and got surprising resale value due to it's popularity. No complaints.