Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sevigny vs. Heinie

dskinsler83

I have a Glock 32 with the Heinie Slant Pro sights and a 35 with the Warren Tactical Sevigny Compettion sights. I bought the Heinie's first, but after shooting a friend's pistol with the Sevigny sights, I bought a set for my 35. I really like the Sevigny sights. The front is a little narrower and the rear notch is a little wider. when mounted on the longer slide of the 35, the resulting sight picture seems more to my liking. It may be the signts, it may be the difference of the longer slide, but I prefer teh Sevigny sights.

So what do you all think is the diff in the Sevigney Comp sights and the Heinie Slant Pro sights? They look almost identical. Which is the best combination on size of front with rear?

Rear serrations? :D :D

I've got guns with both -- and find that the Heinie's (set for .45 Glocks) work better for me on the .45 caliber Glocks. On the 9mm and .40s, it's pretty much a wash; and I find it easy to transition from black on black Sevigny competition sights to the Tritium sights on a house gun to the Heinie sights on the .45s....

"comme ci, comme ça"

....some like this, some like that.

Dawson, Warren/Sevigny or Heinie.

None of the above sight sets will hurt your game.

All of them will improve it with practice.

The Sevigny has a wider notch than the standard Heinie, .150" vs. 125" (though Heinie also makes a .156"). Other than that the differences are the serrations and the finish (Sevigny is more durable and rust-resistant). I also found the Sevigny to be harder to install, requiring quite a bit of sanding to fit the dovetail.

If I were outfitting another Glock, I would have a hard time choosing one or the other.

I have heinie slant pro's on 3/4 of my Glocks, an am pretty happy with all of em, even the straight 8 nite sights give a good crisp sight picture. hell i won 2 out of 3 divisions shot with em at a local GSSF match??? cant be all that bad right??? from the sounds of it, the heinie's are good, and the sevigney's rear opens up a big for a 'quicker' shot??? sounds like a wash to me, you will be happy with either one.

The Warren Tactical Series-Sevigny Competition sights and the Heinie SlantPro are actually quite different. Are you sure you're not referring to Heinie's Glock Classic Sight Set?

http://www.heinie.co....php?info_id=12

Anyway, assuming you are talking about the WTS-Sevigny Competition versus the SlantPro, as I said the two are quite different. The differences in the widths of the rear notches has already been noted. Also the front sight on the WTS-Sevigny Competition is .115" wide, on the Heinie SlantPro it's .125". I say that as someone who has taken files to Heinie SlantPros numerous times in the past in order to get the narrow front blade/wide rear notch sight picture that I get with absolutely no work with the WTS-Sevigny Competition.

Another big difference between the two is that the rear sight face on the Heinie is serrated and slanted forward - hence the name SlantPro. I don't like serrated rear sight blades. While touted as "breaking up distracting glare," in my experience they do exactly the opposite, they cause distracting glare. This is made even worse by the fact that the rear blade slants forward. It's like they were trying to design a rear blade to catch and reflect light. On the WTS-Sevigny Competition by contrast, not only is the rear sight face not serrated but it's backdrafted, i.e. the top of the rear sight comes further to the rear than the bottom. This means that, at most angles at which light can come in, bright sunlight just puts the rear blade in shadow instead of turning into distracting glare.

For me, WTS-Sevigny Competition versus Heinie SlantPro, it's no contest. It's WTS-Sevigny Competition all the way. Honestly, I wouldn't have a set of Heinie SlantPros on one of my guns. And I say that as someone who used to run them, but removed them to replace them with WTS-Sevigny Comps.

I have the Warren Tactical/Savigny sights on my G17 and they rock.

Either Heinie or Warren/Savigny would be a good choice.

It boils down to what you like and works for you.

Try guns with these sights before you decide, if you can.

Hello: I use the Warren rear sight and a Dawson fiber front sight. I like the rabbit ears on the Warren sight over the Savigney flat blade. I can see targets that are close together and far away better. The Dawson front sight glows better than the Warren for me. Thanks, Eric

I prefer the Heinie's/Dawson combo. Someone mentioned earlier that Heinie has a standard width and a wide width for the rear sight notch. I wanted something in between and they did it for me. They will work with you. I tried the Sevigny and they were very hard to install.

I used to have just Heinies when I quit shooting 9 years ago so I was use to the heinie. seeing the hips only confuses me so I have Heinie rear with Dawson front. The fiber optics are great!! Almost like a dot. Almost.

"Seeing the hips"?

I guess I never really looked closely at the rear. I saw the Warren trade mark and after that I went to a differnt page. Looks like only the tactical rear has the narrowing towards the top design (hips) and the competition has the big block out of everything.

The Warren Tactical Series-Sevigny Competition sights and the Heinie SlantPro are actually quite different. Are you sure you're not referring to Heinie's Glock Classic Sight Set?

http://www.heinie.co....php?info_id=12

Anyway, assuming you are talking about the WTS-Sevigny Competition versus the SlantPro, as I said the two are quite different. The differences in the widths of the rear notches has already been noted. Also the front sight on the WTS-Sevigny Competition is .115" wide, on the Heinie SlantPro it's .125". I say that as someone who has taken files to Heinie SlantPros numerous times in the past in order to get the narrow front blade/wide rear notch sight picture that I get with absolutely no work with the WTS-Sevigny Competition.

Another big difference between the two is that the rear sight face on the Heinie is serrated and slanted forward - hence the name SlantPro. I don't like serrated rear sight blades. While touted as "breaking up distracting glare," in my experience they do exactly the opposite, they cause distracting glare. This is made even worse by the fact that the rear blade slants forward. It's like they were trying to design a rear blade to catch and reflect light. On the WTS-Sevigny Competition by contrast, not only is the rear sight face not serrated but it's backdrafted, i.e. the top of the rear sight comes further to the rear than the bottom. This means that, at most angles at which light can come in, bright sunlight just puts the rear blade in shadow instead of turning into distracting glare.

For me, WTS-Sevigny Competition versus Heinie SlantPro, it's no contest. It's WTS-Sevigny Competition all the way. Honestly, I wouldn't have a set of Heinie SlantPros on one of my guns. And I say that as someone who used to run them, but removed them to replace them with WTS-Sevigny Comps.

Duame,

good stuff. any idea if the Sevigny front sight would be too tall for a 5" gun like the 17? I have them on my 34, but I am not sure how it would do in a 5" gun. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thnak you!

Sandro

Duame,

good stuff. any idea if the Sevigny front sight would be too tall for a 5" gun like the 17? I have them on my 34, but I am not sure how it would do in a 5" gun. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thnak you!

Sandro

Sandro,

Thanks. Actually the Glock 17 is not a 5" gun, it's four and a half inches (or 4.49" if you want to get excruciating precise about it - which apparently I do :lol:). In my experience, exactly where a gun will hit relative to elevation, and even windage, really does vary based on the individual and their hold. Fortunately WTS has various height front sight blades available, and they've got you covered if you need a taller or shorter front sight to bring your gun to perfect POI/POA.

Duane

Well I just bought both and put one set on the G17 and the other on the G34 and to tell you the truth i like both so honestly i think if your looking for a great set of sights but on the cheap buy the Heinie that are just as good IMHO. quick to line up and look almost identical.