Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which powder?

3ddiver

I wrote in a while back about tumbling bullets and have finally used all of them up. Some suggestions were different bullets and different powder. I have aquired some 147 grain cast bullets that I will probably stick with assuming they work fine. I am also going to load up some jacketed bullets in 124 grain. I am using Unique powder right now but have less than 1/2 lb left. I have been doing some reading and think that WST or Titegroup would be a good choice. I have used Universal Clays before but thought I would try something else. I know there are lots of opinions out there but I would like to hear what you think. Thanks

I run 124-125 grain jhps for production with 4 grains of Titegroup.

If I was going to go with lead, cast, or moly bullets, I'd change to VV320, or, maybe try some Solo.

+1 The TG will light those lead bullets up and cause a lot of smoke! With pure lead you are going to have smoke so you might as well try to create as little as possible. Try Solo1000 or the premium blend, N320.

What gun? You should not run pure lead in a factory Glock. Just info.

Edited by Sarge

I am shooting a Beretta 92. I am glad I asked for opinions, I didnt realize those powders would burn up the bullets. We have a ton of smoke now but we are using alox lube and from what I read that is a smoke causer also. The bullets I bought have the wax ring so we wont need the lube.

Solo 1000 has it problems, light flaky, spills on the shell plate of my 550 but i sure like the way it feels when you shoot it, groups good. The good out weigh the problems. Polish the inside of the powder funnel with a wad of Q tips and some Simicrome polish to help on bridging. Works best with the heavy bullets. I use it with 147gn, lead, plated and jacketed with good results. Worked well with 124gn jacketed also. I don't think you can get enough Solo 1000 in a case to use 115gn bullets. My load with a 124gn bullet fills the case. 4.6gn loaded to 1.130 length.

Did some crono work today and one test was to leave six bullets on the tail gate of my PU while shooting some other loads. Solo 1000 slows with heat and those six didn't make minor at 124.5PF, the others ran 132PF so it is heat sensitive.

All that being said I would recommend giving Solo 1000 a chance, I like it.

No Solo in my area, I just got back form looking. It looks like Winchester, Hogdon or IMR if I am going to buy it off the shelf. Any suggestions on these. I can buy ot online but it is going to add a bunch to the bottom line. Thanks for all of the input, I am still learning and its great to have this resource.

Edited by 3ddiver

No Solo in my area, I just got back form looking. It looks like Winchester, Hogdon or IMR if I am going to buy it off the shelf. Any suggestions on these. I can buy ot online but it is going to add a bunch to the bottom line. Thanks for all of the input, I am still learning and its great to have this resource.

Winchester WST or 231

Hogdon TiteGroup

• 3 weeks later...

With the cast Unique would probably be ok, For non compensated loads generally something faster burning will generate less recoil, I used 135 gr lead over WST in 9mm quite a bit with no issues that I recall. Not much data out there so you will definitely need a chronograph.

I am not sure of the twist but your Beretta just may not stabilize 147 gr bullets unless you get close to max charge, which is kinda defeating the purpose, I had a Browning HP and a Walther that keyholed 147's till I got up to around 1000 fps.

• 3 weeks later...

Solo 1000 slows with heat and those six didn't make minor at 124.5PF, the others ran 132PF so it is heat sensitive.

VERY heat sensitive. This cost me all the money I spent to shoot area 5 this year. 3.4gr of Solo behind 147gr J&K Cast lead bullet made 130pf in cool march weather but only made 123pf at the match in may. When I got home, I bumped my load to 3.6 gr which chrono'd at 139pf for me. I just shot the Michigan Sectional, and I'm not sure whether the rounds they tested had been laying in the sun or what, but they came to 125.9pf and almost gave me a heart attack. I'm looking for a new powder.

I am fairly new to reloading and I have been using Bullseye powder and have not had any problems, but maybe I don't now any better. I see on this forum that it burns dirty. I also see a lot of votes for Solo 1000. I shoot .45 & 9mm and I use Lyman's and Speer #14 reloading manual's. I don't see any .45 or 9mm loading data for Solo 1000.

What's up this that?

Solo 1000 slows with heat and those six didn't make minor at 124.5PF, the others ran 132PF so it is heat sensitive.

VERY heat sensitive. This cost me all the money I spent to shoot area 5 this year. 3.4gr of Solo behind 147gr J&K Cast lead bullet made 130pf in cool march weather but only made 123pf at the match in may. When I got home, I bumped my load to 3.6 gr which chrono'd at 139pf for me. I just shot the Michigan Sectional, and I'm not sure whether the rounds they tested had been laying in the sun or what, but they came to 125.9pf and almost gave me a heart attack. I'm looking for a new powder.

I know it seems expensive, though once you do the math it really isn't, but you must give N320 a try. At the Michigan sectional my ammo showed the biggest deviation all year from my target PF of 135. It came in at 134.7. There really is a reason why many shooters flock to 320.

Titegroup is a good, consistent powder.... I use it for Jacketed 124 and 147gr as well as 160 and 125gr cast lead in a factory bbl. The smoke with Titegroup is bad but luckily I try not shoot in the same position very much :) I notice it on standards every once in awhile.... the RO's notice it a lot more than I do.

As far as Solo 1K goes, it's very sensitive to temp as well as being very different from keg to keg.... got some recently that was so slow we had to go up 0.5gr (NOT 0.05gr) in a 45 to make the same PF....

I've seen with my own eyes 147s tumble with Titegroup.

Guns were:

Glock w/factory barrel

Glock w/Lonewolf barrel (same gun)

M&P 9 w/factory barrel

M&P 9 w/Lonewolf barrel (same gun)

The problem developed after the owners were chronoing before a major

match and discovered that they weren't anywhere near minor. When

they bumped the charge up to make minor PF tumbling bullets ensued.

They tried everything, OAL, crimp, crimp dies, you name it. A change to WST

powder fixed it completely.

I also saw a girl at a match that had every round tumbling out of her M&P 9. This was an

indoor match so the ranges were on the short side. I asked her about it and she said her

husband had just loaded up some lead 147 rounds with Clays to try. They went back to whatever

they had been using I'm sure.

I don't know what it is or why, but lead 147s in 9mm gotta have the right powder to work.

Edited by Shadowrider

I wrote in a while back about tumbling bullets and have finally used all of them up. Some suggestions were different bullets and different powder. I have aquired some 147 grain cast bullets that I will probably stick with assuming they work fine. I am also going to load up some jacketed bullets in 124 grain. I am using Unique powder right now but have less than 1/2 lb left. I have been doing some reading and think that WST or Titegroup would be a good choice. I have used Universal Clays before but thought I would try something else. I know there are lots of opinions out there but I would like to hear what you think. Thanks

I use Solo 1000 with my cast 147 gr bullets. Depending on the lot you need between 3.0 and 3.2 grs @ 1.080"

I just went to try out my newly acquired used minked SP01, 147gr FP Missouri bullet, 3.54gr HP-38/W231, 1.115" OAL, didn't chrono yet, boy its smoky as hell. that is indoor by the way. feels good though. soft shooting. i like it.

I'm not doubting the results you saw, but I'm wondering how many times you chrono'd that load after you bumped it up, and how varied were the conditions? Are you sure it was all from the same lot? Many people seem to chrono once or twice, and call it good. That really doesn't work well, and it's worse with temperature sensitive powders, and ones that have larger lot variations. I chrono'd my 9 Minor load a dozen times before I shot the first big match with it....no problems. I've got both N320 and Solo 1K loads worked up, and can use either without worry, but I'd probably do some more chrono work with the Solo 1K and try to get as close to the match temps before I would go to a Major with it. R,

I don't know what it is or why, but lead 147s in 9mm gotta have the right powder to work.

Solo deserves a try. My lyman 147 gr molds are both dropping at 155gr with range scrap lead. They shoot straight and tight at the 25yd range. I use a KKM barrel.