Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GLOCK 34 OR CZ SP-01 SHADOW For Production?

I just wanted to see what you guys have to say about the Glock 34 or the CZ SP-01 Shadow for production. I have a G34 and love it but down the road I have been thinking about buying another production gun for a back up and something else to play with and the Shadow has came to mind. I have shot a Phantom but I would rather have a all metal CZ because I already have a polymer gun. So what are your thoughts on the two guns for production? :cheers:

I just wanted to see what you guys have to say about the Glock 34 or the CZ SP-01 Shadow for production. I have a G34 and love it but down the road I have been thinking about buying another production gun for a back up and something else to play with and the Shadow has came to mind. I have shot a Phantom but I would rather have a all metal CZ because I already have a polymer gun. So what are your thoughts on the two guns for production? :cheers:

I have a simular situation but with an XD Tactical and a SP-01 Shadow. Shot production all last year with XD and then found and fell in love with the Shadow. Now that is my primary and the XD is backup. Probably will someday get anothe CZ just so I don't have to carry an extra rig or at the least a different holster. Like the XD and it performed well but the CZ is even better. Have done a couple side by side tests and the CZ comes out better for groups and speed. Maybe the all metal gun does it or maybe just feels better but that is how it works for me. But back up is a good idea and if the CZ broke and I had to go to the backup I would not have lost that much and still had just as much fun.

My friends CZ Phantom even in polymer shoots alittle softer and fatter in my hands so it made me think should I try a Shadow. And it gives me a excuse to have a back up gun, dont get me wrong I love my G34 but I also would like to try another production gun to see which one I really like shooting more. It would be hard to give up the reliability of my G34 never had a problem (yet) and Iam not to familiar with the CZ's. Its that I dont know factor that is killing me lol. I really like shooting production right now thats why Iam looking at another production gun rather than a limited STI or something similar, I personally enjoy all the reloads and having to really cut a course down because of only having 10 rounds to play with. When I get tired of production I will get a Limited gun but for now I would like to find another production gun, I dont really like the M&P'S to much and I had a XDM 9 that I sold to buy my G34. I didnt shoot the XDM very well but I do my G34 so hopefully a CZ would be just as good if not better.

Like Flexmoney has said....several times.

"For Production division...

The Glock is like Coke...dominant.

There is no Pepsi (yet). There are a lot of Dr. Peppers"

If it's a different gun you want buy it. But buying a CZ and all it's related gear to "back up" a G34 makes zero sense "to me".

i'm a CZ fan, so maybe biased a bit,on top of that i shoot both shadow and a tactical sport for prod/limited.

for the price CZ offer very descent guns easy to work on.

but i must add to this that i'm also a glock fan as well ,i'd like to make my G17 my main one of these days.

once the .25c trigger job performed, my G17 has been transformed into a very sweet shooter, i get a faster reaquisition/second shot with my G17,but front lift increase as the mag is unloaded, that's mainly why i use my shadow , i think i get more consistency out of a full metal gun.

I gotta go with Jman on the Glock. I absolutely love my 34. If I were serious about getting a backup for competition I would get a G17, if not another 34. If I just wanted a different gun then I would buy what I want at the time.

Iam not wanting to buy another gun to just back up my G34 which I might add I love but like many of you all out there that have many guns just to have and not that you need multiple guns. Same with me I would like another pistol to play with but I would like to play with something different, as if I was to buy another truck I would not buy another sierra cause that would make no sense to buy the same thing over I would buy a f-150 to mix it up alittle. Its more fun to have more than one make of gun thats what Iam trying to say and nothing more. My G34 has all the bells and whistles on it thats legal for production and again I love it but Iam asking about everyones advice on the CZ also.

Hello: I shot a Glock 34 for a while. Sold that to a friend and bought the CZ Shadow. I loved the Shadow. It was a very accurate pistol and I did the trigger and it had a Bo-Mar rear sight and a fiber front. The only things I did not like was the DA/SA trigger and the weight of the pistol. I like a lighter pistol(personal thing). I sold the CZ and bought a Glock 17 and I thought I made a mistake. Another friend wanted that pistol so I then bought another Glock 34. I really like the G34 and it will be my primary pistol for Production and IDPA. I have a Glock 19 as a backup. If you can try a Shadow before you buy one to see if the DA/SA trigger will work for you then you could decide. The trigger can be made very light at 7lb DA and 2lb SA. I don't seem to have a problem going from the 1911 grip angle to the Glock angle but then again I am not a master shooter. My other Production pistols to look at are the S&W M&P if you fit the trigger. The STI GP-6 if you like the DA/SA. The XD if you like the heavy slide. I do like the Glock since I can buy all the parts just like a 1911/2011. Thanks, Eric

Shot CZ SP01, 75b and G34 at USPSA matches. Here are the main differences...

CZ is a heavy gun. You will find that the gun transitions differently than your G34.

Because of the steel frame and light slide, perceived recoil is lot softer with a CZ, especially with lighter bullets.

You will have to master the first double action pull, and transition to a single action.

Finally, while it is not difficult to work on CZs, it does have more small parts that can get lost around your work bench.

Best thing to do is to see if you can borrow any Steel framed CZ and shoot a local match with it.

PS

Actually like the balance of the 75B better than SP01s. Still heavy compared to a Glock but without that huge dust cover that moves the balance of the gun towards the muzzle.

Edited by Wideload

I have a 34 and a 17 as backup. I understand your desire though, I want a CZ someday just because I want one. If you are trying to compete at a high level, ain't we all, then another glock makes more sense. That being said, if you want a CZ buy what you dig........

Like Flexmoney has said....several times.

"For Production division...

The Glock is like Coke...dominant.

There is no Pepsi (yet). There are a lot of Dr. Peppers"

If it's a different gun you want buy it. But buying a CZ and all it's related gear to "back up" a G34 makes zero sense "to me".

I agree with that 100%, "but" the 34 is not legal for IPSC. So... if you want to shoot both the CZ is the way to go. BTW- I own two 34s...

:roflol: @ Cordy......

Cz's are a fine gun. If you want one, get one. I believe you once told me you weren't after every single .001 second that you could get, so why not get something different as a backup gun. You might make your 34 the backup gun.... :goof:

jordano what do you like about your Shadow?

Number one is the trigger. SA is light and crisp with a very short reset. DA is smooth, a lot like a revolver. The comp hammer from Angus helps by making the release point a little sooner so the hammer falls before you start jerking the trigger. I didn't have any issue getting used to the DA/SA. It would be one thing if you had to go from SA on one shot then DA on the next, but you're going from heavier to lighter so you don't even really notice. I don't have any trouble on difficult first shots either since I'm focusing a bit more on trigger control. Of course all your shots afterward are that sweet SA trigger. Most stages you can find a closer target to shoot first if you're not real confident in you DA shot.

Number two is ergonomics. I love the way it fits my hand. It's also pretty ambidextrous, which is nice since I'm left handed.

Number three is the way the gun handles during recoil. It's a front heavy gun which helps reduce muzzle flip. The slide is lighter since it rides inside the frame rails instead of outside. It's just a lot of fun to shoot. When I shoot my Glock I feel I have to have a really strong grip to get the gun back to the target after each shot. With my Shadow I'm more relaxed and the gun seems to return back to the same spot more neutrally. This is probably due to the fact that I've shot thousands of rounds through my Shadow and maybe 100 through my Glock though.

Thanks for all the insight everyone, Iam going to see If someone has one to shoot. But there is only one person I know that shoots a CZ and that is my friend but his is a phantom. When Iam able to buy one it will probley be one from angus. Hopefully it will serve me well. But for now I will be shooting my G34.

The CZ's are very appealing. The triggers are great and the grip feels very nice. Having shot one for a long time, I've gone back to a glock 34. The reliability and ease of maintenance on the Glock makes it the better choice for me. I can over come a little bit heavier and squishy glock trigger easier than a malfunction at the wrong moment!

Cordy, for now, I say put the CZ on the back burner, and buy a loader. It's cheaper than the CZ, and you'll be able to use it regardless of what gun you end up with, and you'll end up saving money by loading your own (even though you'll end up shooting more, but hey, that's the price we pay! ;) ).

I have thought about the same thing about the reliability of the CZ, my friends CZ is picky with factory ammo I might add. He has a hard time taking it apart. I have watched alot of CZ's on youtube jam not saying they are bad pistols. My G34 has never had a jam and is easy to take apart and clean, I would like to buy the CZ just for something else to play with and see for myself how reliable it could be or not be.

I own both a G34 and a Shadow and love them both. The Shadow is a shooter, but you will need to get use to the double action first shot. The recoil management and transitions are sweeter on the Shadow then the G34 in my opinion, but it is hard to argue with the Glock reliability.

Pezco I feel the same way the recoil management is alot better with the CZ not that the 9mm has alot lol but its seems easier to deal with. I dont have personal experience with the CZ reliability put from what I have seen its not 100% like my G34 has been. Both are great guns and some day I will own a custom CZ shadow to see for myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Grumpy you are right, I will buy a CZ later down the road and after the reloader. Hell I might not even want a CZ down the road lol. GOOD CALL :cheers:

Good call, I think you made the right decision. I love my 34 and if you already run the glock well I don't think you're giving up much of an advantage to the CZs. Plus I think it would be good to have another Glock 9mm back up gun for major matches, just in case...

CAZ