Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 1911 in 22lr

caz41

I want to get a 1911 in 22lr for several reason's. Cheap ammo, rimfire competitions, etc... I have been reading about the Chiappa and the GSG 1911. There is very limited info out there, and plenty of mixed reviews. Anyone have access to both or put them up against each other head to head?

Also I was talking to a guy at a local gunstore and he told me that one of his rep's told him that there was going to be another 1911 in 22lr coming out from another company very soon. He didn't have the details on who was going to be making it. Anyone else know anything more about this?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not had the opportunity to shoot either one. The only thing I know is the local gun shop sold a GSG 1911 and the buyer traded it back in within the week. The gun shop would not say why.

thanks,

George

I have a kimber 1911 22 set up with similiar sights to my competition 1911 It runs great as long as you keep a light coat of oil on it I would use it in any 22 competition with no hesitation You get what you pay for in most situations

I have a kimber 1911 22 set up with similiar sights to my competition 1911 It runs great as long as you keep a light coat of oil on it I would use it in any 22 competition with no hesitation You get what you pay for in most situations

Ditto, but mine does not like cheap .22lr ammo but runs like a champ with a steady diet of Mini-mags.

Mark K

I am not familiar with the brand names you mentioned but I use a Tactical Solutions that fits both my single stack and SV Wide Body. So I have a very accurate upper that has the exact same triggers as when my guns are set up for shooting competition. Look at TS first.

I have looked at the TS conversions, but the price is too steep. 500 for the conversion and 100 per mag is way more than I am looking to dish out. I realize that sometimes you get what you pay for, but you have to be able to pay for it to start with!

i have a gsg only have about 1k threw it but has ran fine my uncle has a chippa he has about 2k threw it no problems either the gsg is built more like a tru 1911 there is a post on rimfire centeral by a guy that has both

the 3rd brand is going to be a urarmex colt model there a few pics of it on the web but dont think they have shipped any yet

also rock island is coming out with one to i think they have it listed on there website now

I havbe two Marbvel unit #1's, Jarvis, atctical Sol;utions and Ciener. In the past I also owned an orirginal Colt unit.

The original colt unit was a plinker in terms of accuracy, quite reliable but the floating chamber fouled and required cleaning.

The Marvel Unit #1 is by far the msot accurate and reliable unit made. It is a favorite on the bullseye pistol circuit. It come set up for SV ammo but you can purchase a heavier recoil spring for use with HV ammo. Mine have been totally reliable with a wide variety of SV ammo. Slide is aluminum and does not lock back after firing the last shot. Customer service is excellent if required.

The Ciener unit is a plinker in terms of accuracy, reliability has been excellent with either SV or HV ammo. Customer service is nonexistent. My firsdt unit gave a shotgun pattern - I found that it had a smoothbore barrel.

The Jarvis unit is all steel and designed for HV ammo - prefer CCI MiniMag or Remington Golden for reliable functioning. No longer being manufactured. Accuracy better than Colt or Ciener but not as good as the Marvel Unit#1.

The Tactical Solutions unit is an improvement of the original Jarvis unit. All steel very well machined, works well with Federal HV copper plated bulk pack ammo. Accuracy on a par with the Jarvis unit. Excellent customer service.

I have two Marvel Unit 1s. One is on a dedicated SV widebody frame and the other is on a Caspian Single Stack frame. Both run without a problem on CCI standard velocity ammo. I never clean the barrels only the chamber area with a nylon brissle brush. I replace the springs one a year unless I am shooting them more than normal.

i have a gsg only have about 1k threw it but has ran fine my uncle has a chippa he has about 2k threw it no problems either the gsg is built more like a tru 1911 there is a post on rimfire centeral by a guy that has both

the 3rd brand is going to be a urarmex colt model there a few pics of it on the web but dont think they have shipped any yet

also rock island is coming out with one to i think they have it listed on there website now

So having been around both, is there one that stands out above the other? Mostly looking at a reliability standpoint.

As much as I hate to say it I use a Kimber .22 conversion with mine and the STI mags. If I could afford it I would probably get the TS or the STI conversion I just don't like how they lock up on the slide lock pin where as the Kimber goes together like a traditional 1911.

The Kimber unit will work on other "traditional" meaning un-ramped 1911s. It will not work on the Trojan because they have a ramp cut in the frame for their barrels. I've actually used one on my Trojan .45 and it worked. BUT, I almost couldn't get it off afterwards. The Kimber unit is designed to be used with un-ramped frames. Hope that helps.

cheers623

DVC

The Kimber unit will work on other "traditional" meaning un-ramped 1911s. It will not work on the Trojan because they have a ramp cut in the frame for their barrels. I've actually used one on my Trojan .45 and it worked. BUT, I almost couldn't get it off afterwards. The Kimber unit is designed to be used with un-ramped frames. Hope that helps.

cheers623

DVC

It works on unramped guns as well, it just looks funny with the big hole in the frame. It worked on my back up .40 for awhile but I just ended up putting it on one of my .45s.

So having been around both, is there one that stands out above the other? Mostly looking at a reliability standpoint.

the gsg standsout for being more like a true 1911 than the chippa the gsg just looks and feels better and you can change out most of the parts to match any other 1911 you have

and ours have been super rieliable and run with ever variety of ammo we have tried

the gsg standsout for being more like a true 1911 than the chippa the gsg just looks and feels better and you can change out most of the parts to match any other 1911 you have

and ours have been super rieliable and run with ever variety of ammo we have tried

Just curious, but the gun looks good. My concern is the trigger. How's the origional, and will standard 1911 replacement parts fit?

Just curious, but the gun looks good. My concern is the trigger. How's the origional, and will standard 1911 replacement parts fit?

the trigger feels about the same as my kimber havent put ascale on it but feels in the 4to 5 lb range havent taken it all the way apart but from looking in it and a few post on other sites i think it will

I have had the opportunity to shoot both the Chiappa and the GSG. The Chiappa is much lighter than the GSG and the trigger sucked. The GSG was more like my carry and Competition guns in weight and feel. Both are very accurate and not ammo finicky. The GSG was the same price and Mags are available. The Chiappa came with one mag and none available for spares. In My Honest Opinion the GSG is the better buy. However I did not get the chance to see or shoot the Chiappa in their target version as they are sold almost as soon as they are available. And again extra mags are an issue.

also take note that the Ciener and i believe Kimber conversion kit's don't work with a 9mm since the ejector is a little taller.

I used to use a Ciener, and it was just a plinker.

Had a Kimber, but it wouldn't fit on my TRP (the only 1911 i had at the time). It would only go on about 1/2"

I now use a Wilson/Marvel Unit #2 and it works great.

I just got the gsg 1911 .22 from Freedom Gunworks. The one thing I can say about it is that I have put 500 rounds or so through it with all cheap (I mean real cheap) 22 and she goes bang all the time. It is not picky.