Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 1911 in 22lr

caz41

i have a GSG with over 10k rounds on it , broke a firin pin and bushing , called the company about it both times and got the parts under warranty within a week , great customer service , the gun loves to be clean and of course after these many miles is showing some wear ,i think its a pretty good option for what it is ,i recommend them without hesitation to anyone interested in a 1911 in .22lr , wish my .40's could shoot that soft and flat and cheap

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a GSG. I'm looking forward to getting out and shooting some steel challenge with it. Now it's time to order some new sights from Dawson, and some wrap around finger grove grips from Hogue. I have seen a couple of different after market guide rods. Thoughts on which one to get?

I picked up a Chiappa because it was pretty cheap on sale. It has shot very well for me. The trigger has a longer reset than my 1911 but you can't have it all for $200. It snaps into my kydex and has been a decent trainer...

Also you can't dry fire them.

Edited by dogtired

I am surprised to not see much mention of the Advantage Arms Conversion. I have the standard conversion hosted more or less permanently on my Kimber Eclipse with a 18# main spring and a C&S ignition package. It is very accurate, fits perfectly in my 1911 holster, is totally reliable with CCI Mini-Mags, locks back just like my 45 acp 1911's, and the mags are $25 each. I did send it to Novak for a FO front sight. Mine has just about 10,000 rounds through it and other than cleaning it every 5-600 I have changed the recoil spring once. Having an AL slide the set up is lighter than my 45 acp 1911's but I have gotten to hardly notice the difference.

Edited by castnblast

• 2 weeks later...

A friend and myself picked up a pair of the gsg's last wk and are going to the rang this wk. :) We both have a box of Federal high velocity 36 gr copper plated hp, and I also have a 3 pound bucket of Remington 22lr hi-speed 40gr lrn Thunderbolt bullets. Any experience with these rounds? Should I bring something else for a backup?? Hate to have ammo trouble the first time out. Cant hardly wait till thursday...

I have had a GSG for about a year now--early on it broke a barrel bushing (sheared the ears) and I replaced it with a stainless regular old 1911 bushing. the washer at the back of the guide rod also disintegrated--replaced with a plumbing (nylon faucet washer) which fit it perfectly and gives me a nice buffer. I have replaced the sights with a Warren/Sevigny set up--note the sight cuts on the slide are almost Novak cuts. I also ended up shaving down the grip safety to work more easily. This gun now runs amazingly well, and is quite accurate. It will shoot just about anything, but I feel more comfortable with Federal Match 40gr lead rn. The trigger is also about 4lbs and smooth. This gun is set up basically just like a 1911 except for the barrel which is pinned. Lots of interchangeable parts!

One of my kids that I coach has a Chiappa .22 and that gun has been problematic--doesn't feed anything well except mini-mags, and last Saturday broke the barrel bushing ears off. The trigger is somewhat gritty and heavy--reset is pretty long. I still have to contact the distributor for replacement parts. I spoke with them regarding a slide safety spring which commited sucide on my work bench somewhere. They were very nice and are going to ship a replacement spring right away. Hopefully I can get this gun going nicely--I'll report back.

Also Note: The GSG mags are very well made and go about $30 ea. Chiappa mags are all plastic and don't inspire confidence. Don't know their cost.

Edited by MDC

Went to range yesterday, after 150 rds of 36gr federal copper jhp through the GSG 1911 I have only had a few issues.

1. The magazine will not catch / lockin if it has 10rds in it and the slide is not back / open

2. failed to eject the spent round about 4 times. Think I seen a fix for that on You tube before I bought it.

3. It also stove piped about 4 times

Not bad otherwise, I will adjust the trigger length and take the sharp corner off of the thumb safety ( maybe just replace it ) and install an extended slide stop first, probably with the same parts that are on my P12, then some sights later.

36gr federal copper jhp

that might be your first problem. When mine was new it wouldn't cycle properly on the Federal (had to run CCI instead), but later after it loosened-up it would run OK on Federal Bulk. Even so, I use Federal or other bulk-pack ammo for practice only.

1. The magazine will not catch / lockin if it has 10rds in it and the slide is not back / open

I had the Same thing happens to me. Solution: Count your rounds, you will find that on some magazines you are actually cramming 11 rounds into the magazine, and it won't seat that way because it is over-filled.

Load only 10 rounds, then it has room to seat when the slide is closed.

For sights, FYI, Dawson precision makes a fiber-optic front that will work with the standard Rear sight.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the sig in flat dark earth and it runs like a champ with everything I feed it, same as gsg just a better name on gun. It's a lot of fun for the money!

I have the Sig 22. It runs fine on just about any ammo, and has a decent trigger. The barrel seems to lockup slightly off center in the slide. It will rip out the center of the target but I have to aim about 2" left. Overall not a bad gun for a little bit of money, but irritating none the less. When it is perfectly sighted, the rear sight is actually sticking out of the dovetail a good bit.

One of my shooting buddies has a GSG and his seems to have a nicer lockup and has a similar fit finish and trigger, and no annoying alignment issue.

The one salesman at a local gunshop said straight up to stay away from the chiappa. That's all I needed to hear.

I'm a big Kimber fan, there are some guns I want to get before it, but as soon as I have a spare $750 I'm gonna get one of them, and I'm sure it will run as well as all my other Kimbers.

Just sitting here typing this post makes me wish I would have gotten the Kimber I saw at the gunshow last weekend.......

If you got the $$$$ get the Kimber.

My 0.02

D

I have had a gsg for going on 3 years now. It runs everything. I even used up my grandpa's old supply of thunderbolts. The aftermarket base pads are recommended. I broke 2 dropping them. I sold my Kimberly .22 after getting the gsg. The Kimberly worked well IF you use mini mags. Mini mags were just too expensive for me to justify as a practice rig.

I've had a GSG for a few months now and i have a few observations.

1. Keep your barrel retention screw TIGHT! You know that little allen head screw on the side of the frame you remove to take it apart? Well, on mine, if the screw isn't absolutely tight, the barrel will wobble up and down in the bushing and the accuracy goes out the window. I found this out the hard way after noticing the accuracy diminish recently.

2. The main spring housing can be swapped with a standard 1911 unit but you do need to swap over the GSG spring and the two parts that go on either end of the spring. My only concern was putting a GSG spring which is not true 1911 spec in a 1911 spec main spring housing. I went and mic'd the GSG spring and a standard Gov't main spring and the GSG housing is shallower internally in the spring channel than the govt housing and subsequently the GSG spring is shorter than a govt spring (But not by an equal amount with respect to the MSH depth difference). I called GSG to see what the main spring weight was and they claimed it was 23# but since it's not the same free length as a standard 1911 spring, it won't work. I put in an actual 23# 1911 govt spring and its too much spring for the GSG--the slide wont cock the hammer with that much weight under it. I don't know what weight 1911 govt spring would be equivalent here (maybe a shorter officer length spring?).