Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 1911 in 22lr

caz41

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a unit 1 and unit 2 Marvel's and both are real accurate and run fine most of the time with CCI stingers. I also have a Kimber Super Match which i like the best,cause it fits the holster better..All run real good with Winchester 333's..Mags for the Marvels give me the most problems,which i use on a Baer frame. Colt frames seem to do better..

I just got the gsg 1911 .22 from Freedom Gunworks. The one thing I can say about it is that I have put 500 rounds or so through it with all cheap (I mean real cheap) 22 and she goes bang all the time. It is not picky.

Is it unmolested, or did Bobby do anything to it?

I just got the gsg 1911 .22 from Freedom Gunworks. The one thing I can say about it is that I have put 500 rounds or so through it with all cheap (I mean real cheap) 22 and she goes bang all the time. It is not picky.

It is bone stock. No modifications of any kind.................... Yet.

It is bone stock. No modifications of any kind.................... Yet.

What do you have in mind for it?

Make the trigger pull as close to the same as my competition 1911's and a flat mainspring housing. That is pretty much all I want to do to it.

Does it have a standard mainspring housing?

It has an arched mainspring housing.

Make the trigger pull as close to the same as my competition 1911's and a flat mainspring housing. That is pretty much all I want to do to it.

My bad, I meant will a regular 1911 MH fit it?

My bad, I meant will a regular 1911 MH fit it?

Sorry, I have no idea. I have not taken it apart yet. I'm going to tear it apart when it quits functioning. I want to see how long it will run.

My Marvels have been 100% reliable. They are not ammo sensitive. They have one thing the others don't--an accuracy guarantee. They all shoot less than 1"@50 yards. You will see plenty of Marvels on the line at Camp Perry.

Marvel also supports the shooting sports,being at Perry every year.

My 2 cents.

• 1 year later...

This...I use mine at a steel match every month...no hiccups as long as you keep it clean and wet

I have a kimber 1911 22 set up with similiar sights to my competition 1911 It runs great as long as you keep a light coat of oil on it I would use it in any 22 competition with no hesitation You get what you pay for in most situations

I have the Sig. It's identical to the GSG. Cheaply made, works good, much more reliable than my Kimber conversion. Uses mostly standard 1911 parts, which is good because upgrades are needed on some things--sights (Novak cut), MS housing, etc.

I have the gsg, broke a guide rod and firing pin. Called the importer, sent me a firing pin free of charge. Put in a cw accessories guide rod and put on their mag bases. The pistol is alot of fun. Some local matches now have a 22 division . They are becoming more popular.

I've been running my GSG-1911 in rimfire matches for about 4 months now, probably 4k rounds, between practice and matches shot.

I can practice with pretty-much any .22 ammo with 99% reliability. But for competition I chose one particular brand of ammunition to ensure 100% when it counts.

A lot of that bulk-pack ammo can be trouble (primer hits but no ignition, deformed bullet nose, etc). Find a brand that works in your gun. the gun+ammo need to work together.

I added a Dawson precision fiber front-sight, it helps. The GSG-1911 has performed good for me.

On Main Spring Housing (MSH): I have not done it personally but a friend of mine did swap his MSH. It fit. I have read that you need to transfer the GSG's original main-spring into the new MSH. (eg so you kept the correct main-spring power for the rimfire)

Edited by SlowShooter

On Main Spring Housing (MSH): I have not done it personally but a friend of mine did swap his MSH. It fit. I have read that you need to transfer the GSG's original main-spring into the new MSH. (eg so you kept the correct main-spring power for the rimfire)

I saw that too, but it's not true. I put in a flat MS housing on mine, and since I had a good quality lightweight hammer/sear/disconnector set laying around, I swapped that in too. Trigger was vastly improved, but I had a lot of light hits. I figured the lightweight trigger parts and the stock MS didn't go together, and put in a 17 lb (IRC). Now I still get a few light hits on cheap CCI Blazers, but that might be the ammo. Think I'll try an 18 lb before the steel matches start up for the summer.

I have a GSG and it runs OK. It will run most any ammo, but I have been able to outrun it.

I also have a Kimber Rimfire Super, it is a very nice lightweight gun. But it only runs reliably on CCI mini mags. And that is what Kimber will tell you too.

I also have a Kimber Rimfire in .17 mach2. It can't get through a mag without a FTF. Kimber blames that on ammo too. I guess that is why they made 300 and gave it up.