Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 or 45 for single stack?

twister

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the 40 impulse better also. When you get a 1911 40 cal to run 100% (its not real hard to do)it will stay 100%

40 cal bullets are cheaper--- If you shoot limited you probly already reload 40 you should be able to use the same ammo

Kevin

I've been shooting nothing but single stack for the past two years. I like the 45 for it's simplicity to run. I also like it with the 200grn LSWC bullets that leave mighty big holes in cardboard.

That being said, if I was already set up for 40 and had the time to invest in making it run reliably. I might consider going 40. Like the man says I think once you can get it to run it's golden. Especially if you are already use to shooting mostly 40.

Pro's and con's with each. Get the one that suits you.

I shoot a 45 in SS for the simple reason that its a caliber i enjoy and it happened to be the gun i owned when i started USPSA. If you are currently set up for 40, then a 40 single stack may be the way to go. if not, your choice. just remember....all the cool kids are shooting a 45 ;)

Brian Enos has said in that his experience, taking into account both the cartridge (.40 or .45) and magazine configuration (single or double stack), in order of how easy it is to get the gun to run reliably (descending from easiest to hardest), it goes:

.45 single stack

.40 double stack

.40 single stack

.45 double stack.

I've known a number of people who've gone the .40 single stack route. Invariably it took them a year or two of experimentation to get the gun to run reliably. Of course, once they made it through that process they had a very nice gun. (Not particularly nicer than the same gun in .45, mind you....)

Maybe I got "lucky" but I had my smith take a delta elite & put a .40 barrel in it. He did whatever it is he does & it runs. I had 2 issues, loading factory length ammo in Tripp 10mm mags & once I went wild with heavy slide glide in freezing temps. Thats it. Outside of that its been sheer pleasure to work with. Interestingly I had a factory colt SS single stack in .4o that ran good & I couldnt hardly give it away. I guess it was too plain.

1st consideration - what game you expect to play

2nd consideration - ammo / reloading and gun logistics issues

1. If ever want to shoot IDPA CDP, you need a 45 ACP. 40S&W will move you to ESP where you may feel a disadvantage with a lesser ammo capacity and will be competing with major PF ammo against mostly minor PF ammo (Atlanta Arms & Ammo does offer minor PF 40S&W) In USPSA, SS Major is limited to 8 rnds so there is no capacity advantage to 40S&W as compared to 45ACP there. True, most 230gr 45ACP ball ammo is ~10-15 PF higher then most factory 40S&W but muzzle energy will be ~10-15% LESS with the 45ACP. In both games, then bigger hole can be an advantage. Its surprising how many points are lost by not quite touching the line! Bottom line: IMHO a 1911 in 40S&W is slight or modest disadvantage in IDPA and no significant advantage in USPSA. Slight - modest advantage to 45ACP.

2. Factory 40S&W will be no more and probably cheaper than 45ACP. Depending on brand and source it might be 1-2 cents or 8-10 cents per round difference. Reloading components will be cheaper, ~3-5 cents, maybe more. 40cal mags might be harder to find or you may find a less diversity of brands to pick from. Costs may be slightly more but you only have to buy them once so I look at it as part of the price of the gun. Slight - modest advantage to 40S&W. If you reload for one but not the other you might consider tool costs but that is a one time only thing.

It all depends on what is important to you. From a USPSA SS or IDPA CDP game stand point, 45 ACP is "it", the standard all are compared to. For every 1000 rnds you shoot, you'll save at most $100 (more likely only ~$30) with 40S&W.

So.... What's it going to be?

To me it can be pretty simple: If you shoot IDPA also, 45. If you shoot Limited in USPSA and already have a 40 load worked up, then 40. If neither of these is true, it's probably a toss up. I'd lean 45 because it's easier to find mags and you can start with a relatively inexpensive factory gun.

Nope not a year here either. A little magazine R&D, a feed ramp tune and I'm off to the races.

we're going to the race. We're gonna win first place.... :)

From everything ive seen, it seem that if you can figure out the ammo length and potential magazine issues, it would seem that 40 single stacks run pretty well.

[in both games, then bigger hole can be an advantage. Its surprising how many points are lost by not quite touching the line!

It can also be a disadvantage. Lots of times holes don't quite touch a no-shoot, but a bigger hole would have!

[in both games, then bigger hole can be an advantage. Its surprising how many points are lost by not quite touching the line!

It can also be a disadvantage. Lots of times holes don't quite touch a no-shoot, but a bigger hole would have!

Touché! So true, so true.

:cheers:

I want to buy a new gun for single stack, and wondered which would be best? Is there any advantage to the 40 over 45? Some say it's harder to get a 40 to run reliably. Thanks for your help, Dave

If you haven't...I would shoot both and make a decision. I find the muzzel flip of the .40 suits me. I find the .45 has more of a push. I still own and shoot both but prefer the .40 cal.

Magazines are not a problem. Once you decide on a load, if you go .40 then mags are available from varied vendors. I personally use the Cobra's both in .40 and 10 mm for .40 loaded long, also .45acp. I've had nothing but great performance from the Cobra mags and SUPER service from Virgil Tripp. I've used and still own McCormick, Wilson, Megar, Metelform, and almost every other vendors single stack mags in .45, 9mm, .40, .38 super, and 10mm, some have ran great, but some have not from all of the vendors. I'll never buy another single stack magazine except Cobra's until Virgil quits making them available.

But please try various guns and mags to make your decision.

Edited by pvhendrix