Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

worried about having a huge accident when reloading

I'm going to be getting a press for xmas and for the last few months i have been picking up any piece of brass i can lay my hands on. I've been shooting 9mm reloads from miwallcorp (best once fired reloads imo) but i had a few that were a little deformed (bullet dented and didn't wana risk running it thru my barrel). I pulled them apart so i could keep the casing and throw away the deformed bullet and had them (3 in all) on my work space and long story short, my dog decided he wanted some love and jumped up on my lap and that knocked those 3 casings with the rest of my 9mm casings. I can't tell which one's they were and what has me worried is that they have a live primer in them. ( newbie and wasn't thinking very smart)

When I run those 3 casings thru my dillon 550b after i get it, will the station that takes the used primer out set off the live primer in the 3 casings? I'm worried about a huge accident possibly happening....What can I do? DUMB DUMB DUMB ME :blush:

When I reload I pick up a piece of brass and do a "wrist flip" which checks three things. 1. verifies nothing is inside the case. 2. I look at the headstamp. (which will show you your live primers) 3. I feel the brass for splits/cracks.

It is not advisable to deprime a live one.

I have deprimed a ton of live primers myself, the thing you want to be careful of is seating them too "vigorously", I've set off a primer or three this way trying to get some in tighter pockets or have gone in a little cock eye'd, even then, it's more of a "surprise" than something catastrophic. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

BTW, deformed bullets shoot through a barrel just fine, and just as accurately. Unless it's a really, really bad deformation causing a big part of material to be missing, it won't even affect accuracy. Deformation of the area were the bullet contacts the rifling has more affect to accuracy, but as far as the face of the bullet, absolutely no ill affect, unless again it is really really deformed. But worst case scenario from a slightly dented bullet are feeds "possibly" even then, I have not even heard of any issues with that, let alone experienced any issues first hand.

If it really bothers you, put it in the "practice" bin, but they will go pop along with anything else.

Edited by Aristotle

how much brass have you acrued thus far? why not just spend 10 minutes and dump them out on the table, grab a few check them toss them back in a bucket if they are clean (clean being no live primer). you shold be able to find the primed ones and then not have to worry about it when you actually get to reloading down the road.

Put a double handfull of the 9mm cases into a small shallow container and shake 'em up. Many of the cases will stand upright in the bottom. You can grab several of these by the case mouth at a time and turn them bottom up in your hand. With a good light, you'll be able to see at a glance which cases are fired by the firing pin mark on the primer. A unmarked primer is unfired.

Just go through your cases this way, dumping the fired ones into another box. In ten minutes you'll be able to check 500 cases, easy. Shucks, do it while you're in the can...

Oh, and take those live primed cases and put them in a marked baggie.

I have reloaded brass that I knew had live primers with no problem. Wear your glasses. At one time you could buy pulled primers, they had to punch a bunch of them.

As a tip, 100% of the time put the cap on the powder measure, even when adjusting weights. Get a primer in there and you do have a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...