Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most reliable 1911 out of the box...looking for input from trainers...

jamesp81

I am curious what handgun course teachers have observed is the most reliable 1911 pistol out there? I want something for heck and back reliability. Double stack polymer framed guns do not fit my small hands, no matter how much I wish that they would. For a defensive pistol, it's going to be either a 1911 or a six gun, and I'd prefer a 1911 if I can find one that's bomb-proof reliable.

There really isn't such a thing as a particular 1911 that is completely reliable out of the box. Sure, some manufacturers have much better reputations than others but at the end of the day, any 1911 is probably going to need some attention before it is completely reliable- nature of the beast. That being said, it's hard to go wrong with wilson, les baer, ed brown, or dan wesson.

If you want complete out of the box, hell and back reliability, then get an M&P or glock and dont fiddle with it.

Maybe mines an exception to the rule but I have a S&W 1911 that has run flawlessly for just over 3000 rounds now without a jam. Another guy at my club uses one as well and Ive never seen him have a problem with his either. People will bash the external extracor idea but S&W isn't having problems with them like Kimber did. I have yet to hear of a S&W extractor issue but Im sure they're out there just as with any internal extractor gun.

I have a Wilson Combat Classic Supergrade, and I do not think there is anything else that could be done to it to make it more reliable. Purchasing from a smaller manufacturer such as Wilson, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, etc. will get you a gun that has had a bit more tlc than bigger manufacturers.

Randy

1911s are also bullet and magazine sensitive reliable with 230g ball is easy but once you get to defensive rounds there are so many bullet shapes a gun tuned for one may not like another. also magazines make a big difference take a top of the line gun and feed it with a cheap magazine and it may start choking. all the parts really need to work together for a reliable unit.

Mike

Any 1911 can be a hit or miss on reliability, but it doesn't take much to get them 100% reliable. :cheers:

Sometime, when you have time to read something long, send me an IM and I'll tell you all about how long it took me to get my RIA 1911 shooting reliably :D

I know you've had a bad experience with a frankengun project - many of us own something similar. Many 1911 feeding issues can be fixed with chamber mouth beveling, setting extractor tension, and using a good magazine. When I shoot Single Stack, I use the Wilson 47D mags: http://brianenos.com/store/wilson.html#mags

And have had good luck with them. All of my 1911s will feed virtually any bullet shape - and one started out a frankengun.

If you want something that you don't have to mess with, STI has some good 1911 offerings - how about a Ranger II or a Sentinel? It will cost you a bit more, but my experience has been good with their stuff working out of the box.

Come shoot with us at Owensboro ORPCI.org

Maybe mines an exception to the rule but I have a S&W 1911 that has run flawlessly for just over 3000 rounds now without a jam. Another guy at my club uses one as well and Ive never seen him have a problem with his either. People will bash the external extracor idea but S&W isn't having problems with them like Kimber did. I have yet to hear of a S&W extractor issue but Im sure they're out there just as with any internal extractor gun.

I have one also and was great until I tried mounting a serendipity to it! I had to go to a side mount to stop the stove piping. Two smiths and I tried to no avail to tune that damn extractor. I will never again buy an external 1911 gun again even though this is quite a shooter now with a fitted bushing, trigger job, c-more and small radius firing pin retainer.

Sounds like you need a CZ75, these fit small hands and the guns are very reliable and accurate, my wife carries hers, I use a Sig P239. The only new over the countere 1911 I have bought is the SpringField Mil Spec 1911 and it just ran like a champ, and was accurate to boot.

Out of the box, my S&W, all steel, external exctactor, 1911 Government has been an excellent gun. 21,000 rounds through it and all I've had to do is replace a cracked firing pin stop at about 15,000 rounds. I changed out the sights, did a trigger job put on a magwell and shot it in SS for over a year without so much as a hickup out of it. I'd put my S&W up against any of my Ed Browns any day for reliability.

:cheers: THG

I'd had a few modern 1911s and they've all been 100% reliable straight out of the box. Springfield, Para, STi.

I tried a 3" 1911 and it wouldn't run. But a government length, I've not had moments headache.

Out of the box, my S&W, all steel, external exctactor, 1911 Government has been an excellent gun. 21,000 rounds through it and all I've had to do is replace a cracked firing pin stop at about 15,000 rounds. I changed out the sights, did a trigger job put on a magwell and shot it in SS for over a year without so much as a hickup out of it. I'd put my S&W up against any of my Ed Browns any day for reliability.

You mean that horrible external extractor hasn't caused the gun to malfunction, catch fire, and blow up? J/K How easy is it to do a trigger job on the SW1911?

Most reliable 1911 I ever owned was an all GI Remington Rand running Ball. I sold it in a weak moment when the price on Original GI guns got so high. Now I have a pair of Colts. One is a Combat Commander that has been tweaked and is fairly reliable with lead bullets . Other is a box stock Series 70 that rarely fails even with my handloads. Either one is a quick clear if choking

Avoid handloads shoot them as built and most good 1911's are reliable as Glocks, which by the way are not generally shot with handloads and not altered. Tweak it or load your own and the problems crop up.

Boats

Out of the box reliability is not uncommon for the 1911. My Wilson CQB ran from the first round, and 5 years later has only jammed once, and that must have been ammo or operator induced. 5" government length guns outperform commanders and shorter. .45 ACP guns will run when other sub calibers will not, and many have purchased STI single stacks with no issues whatsoever. The key is using good magazines right from the start. I use Wilson 500 ETM mags, and used the 47D before that. Either of those mags, and a well built name brand .45 1911 will run in my experience. That doesn't mean that you won't want to change springs to match your ammo.

Edited by fomeister

These are some of the reasons I bought my Nighthawk T3. Yes, it's crap-ton of money, but I wanted a gun that wasn't going to need to be worked on out of the box, if there was ever an issue, they would take care of it, and it came with everything I would want in a carry 1911. It runs, period. The only malfunctions I have experienced were of my own doing with ammo.

+1 on tha mags. Quality mags can make all the difference. Wilson, tripp, CMC etc. Most of the government models will run out of the box with good mags or VERY minor tweeking ie extractor etc. The smaller guns can be a little more finky and good mag springs are a must in the short guns.

If you would prefer a polymer double stack but have small hands have you ever felt a glock with one of the grip retuctions. They get pretty drastic on some of them and makes that grip much smaller.

You mean that horrible external extractor hasn't caused the gun to malfunction, catch fire, and blow up? J/K How easy is it to do a trigger job on the SW1911?

I have one and it is great..EXCEPT don't try and put a c-more serendipity on her. You will never be able to tune the ejection to eliminate stove-piping! External extractor is it's albatross, IMO

I'm not an instructor but from what i gathered out of box reliablity is hit or miss.

Several years ago I gave up on a springfield operator after shooting 1K rounds plus, changing out the magazine, and playing with the extractor. i was having trouble with the last round in the magazine hanging up at times. looking back if i spend some more time with the extractor; i would have been able to nail it down.

but i am happy to report more recently i bought a kimber tactical entry II, and after 600 rounds, wilson ETM magazines, and tuning the extactor...it has run smoothly over the last 200+ rounds.

• 1 month later...

Both the Springfield TRPs I've had have been reliable out of the box.

Right on. I've run every kind of ammo there is through my Springfield TRP and have yet to have a problem with it. Probably upwards of 5K rounds in the couple year I've had it. If you get a TRP you won't be disappointed!