Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most reliable 1911 out of the box...looking for input from trainers...

jamesp81

I have 3 paras...the single stack .45 is my carry gun, more problems then I have fingers. The gun went back to the factory and came back with even more problems. If I would have known they were going to hold my gun hostage for $230 I would have void the warrenty and did the work from the beggining myself. when it came back I had to do it anyway, wouldnt feed, extract, cycle etc. now it runs without the help of para. my limited gun is a double stack para, it has too much work on it to call it a para anymore but it is a workhorse and can function in the most extreme conditions while dirty as heck, however once again didnt come that reliable. my open gun too is a para the only thing para is the frame which was still modified. The commom problem seems to be oversizing then over fitting from the factory. The quality of barrels are lacking too, possibly trying to get a few more barrels on a dull blade.

for the money I am into any of the paras I could have bought a TRP or an STI build and been ahead by now.

For defensive pourposes a revolver is about as reliable as it gets. 2nd would be a glock..

I have a few "factory" 1911's and my TRP has never failed in over 5000 rounds. I probably just jinxed it. I can't justify paying $3-5k on a single stack. If my life depended on it, I probably would carry an 8 shot .357 revo.

For defensive pourposes a revolver is about as reliable as it gets. 2nd would be a glock..

I have a few "factory" 1911's and my TRP has never failed in over 5000 rounds. I probably just jinxed it. I can't justify paying $3-5k on a single stack. If my life depended on it, I probably would carry an 8 shot .357 revo.

I agree. The 8 shot might be awkward with a reload but thats personal preference so its up to the carrier. But I do advocate carrying what fits best whether its an 8 shot, 5 shot, single stack, double stack, glock. they all feel different and if it feels right and shoots right for you then its the one to go with. But a revolver is definately a good choice because if you have a bad primer or misfire there is no other manuever needed besides pull the trigger again.

keeping in spirit with the question ill just revert back to my last thread, and leave off with advice you may hear too often. Buy what you like, practice practice practice, "Be aware of the guy with one gun he probably knows how to use it."

• 3 months later...

My first post here so time to jump in. I have been running a Colt Combat Elite for approximately 20 years. I have on and off shot IPSC, IDPA and 3 gun with it as well as using it in defensive pistol classes. It has approximately 40,000 rounds through it and it eats semi-wadcutters like they are ball ammo. The gun continues to impress people when they shoot it. Very smooth being a common comment. It may not be "in style" but it's hard to argue with success. My understanding is Colt still uses very good quality steel and hand fitted parts, non MIM. I plan to buy one of their Rail guns this summer.

I have a Nighthawk Talon 5" and it runs flawlessly, the only time I had an issue with it was when I put too light of a recoil spring in it I put the factory spring in and it's run without a hitch for over 5k rounds. If I were to get another 1911 for carry it would most likely be another Nighthawk, a Wilson, or a Les Baer. Competition wise I'd go with an STI.

The best 1911 out of the box is a Springfield Arms and I prefer the GI model.

The best overall would be a custom carry built 1911 on a Caspian frame and slide. In 2006, I did precisely this had proved to work out well. I built it myself, but a good gunsmith in your area could do the same or just go with Wilson or Brown, but that could get pricey. Oh, forgot to mention Cylinder & Slide for building a great .45 too....