Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P open gun

Chillywig

I have a M&P I've had since they came out and just got a pro in 9mm to shoot production in. At the last match there was a guy that have an XD with a fast fire dot on it with base pads on his mags shooting it in open 9mm minor. He was talking about getting a comp for the gun possible a screw on and shooting 9mm major.

It got me to thinking about trying to build some bastard open gun out of my old M&P 9. I've worked on the trigger and have it really close to the pull weight of the pro and polished the slide. After seeing that XD with a fast fire on it I keep thinking about continuing the bastardization of my old M&P 9.

Has anyone ever made an open M&P other than Julie G and does anyone make a comped barrel or a screw on that would work on a smith barrel???

You can make one pretty easily, Kenny at speed shooters sells a doevtail adapter for a jpoint/docter/fast fire, mag extensions magwell, and strom lake barrels. I am not sure if he stock the extended threaded one you would need or not, there are a couple thread on comps on the market that will work. I have one that I have been testing but have run into a snag getting it produced (looking for a new company)

Good luck and have fun :cheers:

Hey Dan, email me about the comp.

Chilly, we do have the extended threaded barrels in stock but I've been talking to David Olhasso (he built Julie's Open M&P) and he seems to think the extended ported barrel would be the way to go. It's not as efficient as a comped barrel but it's a lot easier to work with and there's not a lot of difference in the two as far as shooting flat. I have a new Storm Lake extended ported barrel that I ordered for mine but haven't gotten around to it, if you want it I can get you a price. We should have everything else you need.

I just finished building one myself last week. I used a full size that was lying around as the base and went from there. Only have 50 rounds through it so far but ran like a champ first time out. Tonight I'll be testing a bunch of handloads to try and get to ~170pf. So far so good though.....

0708101625a.jpg

Chilly, we do have the extended threaded barrels in stock but I've been talking to David Olhasso (he built Julie's Open M&P) and he seems to think the extended ported barrel would be the way to go. It's not as efficient as a comped barrel but it's a lot easier to work with and there's not a lot of difference in the two as far as shooting flat. I have a new Storm Lake extended ported barrel that I ordered for mine but haven't gotten around to it, if you want it I can get you a price. We should have everything else you need.

Ya I need a price. I was thinking that the extended barrel would look kooler and definitely cheaper than a real comp. I have a STI open gun so I am just doing this because I'm looking for a new tinker project. I'd be interested to know what kind of luck others are having trying to make major out of the M&P, changing recoil springs, muzzle rise etc.

Ya I need a price. I was thinking that the extended barrel would look kooler and definitely cheaper than a real comp. I have a STI open gun so I am just doing this because I'm looking for a new tinker project. I'd be interested to know what kind of luck others are having trying to make major out of the M&P, changing recoil springs, muzzle rise etc.

I've got my M&P dialed in pretty good at this point. Making major wasn't a problem. The load I'm going to run with is 8.6g of HS-6 behind a 115 MG. Its making ~168-170pf. I went as high as ~174 in my tests and didn't see any adverse effects. I'm using a 13lb spring with a reduced power striker spring. Ran thru 150rds Monday night without any issues. No FT_'s of any kind to date. You know you are shooting major but muzzle rise is not that bad. I did find that the screws on the Jpoint and mount loosened up but now that I added some loctite, they have been good to go. I'm going to shoot the gun at a match this weekend to see how she does under the buzzer.

For some reason I can't send a pm right now, email me and I'll give you the info on the barrel.

Thanks

I have been thinking about a holster. I'm assuming if I just use the extended ported barrel I can use the same blade tech holster. I was also think about I have a safairland 012 holster I don't use for anything why not just cut the trigger guard down till it will fit into that holster.

The gun that Julie was shooting last year is actually Dave Olhasso's gun. Keep in mind that it was built for steel. Might give EGW a call, it definitely looks like George's slide lightening. He might have supplied some of the other parts too.

Seiichi

According to Dave he built Julie's gun just like his and we supplied the parts for it. You are correct on the slide lightening.

The gun that Julie was shooting last year is actually Dave Olhasso's gun. Keep in mind that it was built for steel. Might give EGW a call, it definitely looks like George's slide lightening. He might have supplied some of the other parts too.

Seiichi

• 2 weeks later...

David Bowie is building me one right now. 9L with Trijicon RMR sight and Storm Lake 5.7" ported barrel. I will use it with Taylor Freelance 170mm basepads. Intended use was steel, but lately I figure I will shoot Open Minor as well. I will let you know how it works out.

I just finished building one myself last week. I used a full size that was lying around as the base and went from there. Only have 50 rounds through it so far but ran like a champ first time out. Tonight I'll be testing a bunch of handloads to try and get to ~170pf. So far so good though.....

0708101625a.jpg

What kind of grip tape is that?

What comp is that?? Threaded to a Storm Lake barrel??

I'm just assuming it's a 9mm. But SL has threaded barrels for other calibers as well.

SL threaded barrel

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog/search.php?submit=submit&categories=Smith+%26+Wesson+M%26P+9L%2FPro&subcategories=Barrels

and the comp here

http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/item176537.ctlg

zero-down, what mini red dot did you use?

Edited by tt350z

Hi Guys,

Sorry I missed a bunch of the questions.

The barrel is a Storm Lake 4.95 Threaded.

The comp is a Carver Custom. It is for a glock and took some milling to get it to work. The guide rod does not fit in the stock hole and has to be bored out to fit.

The reddot is a JPoint with a standard adapter.

The grip tape is from 3M. Its a rubberized tread tape. I use it on all my guns. IMO is much better than skateboard tape as it has a great feel, won't trash your hands and works in all weather (sweaty hands and all). I ended up buying a 50' roll of it so if anyone wants to try a little, just PM me and we can work something out.

The mag extensions I got from Speed Shooter Specialties (one of the contributors to this thread). Highly recommended vendor. They are made by Taylor Freelance. The magwell is from SSS as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is in progress and has stopped at the Limited step for a few months of shooting. Its nice to be able to shoot open for less than half the cost of an S_I open gun and still be competitive.

I have the SSS Magwell, AT sear and USB kit, WT sights, TF extensions, SSS guide rod, and grip tape so far. Mine is a .40, so I'll have to get the conversion barrel and different mags. I already have a couple JPoints, so I'll just need the base.