Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocks vs. M&P

Is there any real difference/advantage of one over the other, or is it a matter of preference? I've never thought of a Glock as a competition weapon, but then again until yesterday I didnt know what a race gun was. Ive spoken to 4 people over the past two days (2 open masters, 1 GM in my state) and all of them have said the exact same thing. Get one or the other if youre gonna shoot production. So, the question is out there. All responses welcome (lol, within reason)

J

I have had my M&P for about a 1 1/2yrs.... I love it.

But it comes down to this in my opinion. Get whatever fits your hand.... M&P, Glock, XD's, CZ's etc..... all great guns. If you can somehow shoot them all, you will find the ones that fits you....

This is the "Chevy vs. Ford" question.

Both the M&P and Glock are good guns. The grip angle difference is something you will notice right from the start. That tends to be the deciding factor for most. My wife shoots a G34 and has tried a M&P. She will stick with the Glock. I play with a G34 in IDPA.

I love STI's BUT...it's hard to argue over the "plastic guns" as they just flat out run. Most problems that you'll hear concerning both models will have to do with the owner tinkering with them. Other than sights, grip tape and a trigger job, both will run well on stock ammo or handloads. Another plus is that if you want to tinker...there are several places to buy parts.

Good luck! :cheers:

Ive been 100% happy with my M&P Pro through 2K+ rounds. It fits me better, and I like the trigger better than the Glocks Ive tried.

Shoot as many as you can before you buy.

I shoot a Glock 17 the Gen 4, and love it! I shot an M&P at my first match and it just didnt fit my hand right, it really comes down to what fits YOU. Nothing else matters. Shoot both and see what one you like better.

I am a Glock man myself. I think currently it still has an edge because of all the aftermarket support and reliability. I do believe that over the next few years M&P will gradually catch up to and overtake Glock.

I've owned both the 34 and a pro. 34 is the way to go. Runs on any ammo, and has never failed me in any way that could be blamed on the gun. My M&P was a different story.

I love my Glocks. I just sold my M&P9 I bought for a steal to a friend for his son to start IDPA. While it was a reliable gun and I liked it well enough, I just couldn't see the point in switching triggers and/or learning a third. I'll stick to Glocks and occasionally 1911's.

I agree with the above 100%.... It's a Ford/Chevy debate. If possible, try before you buy; pick one, then shoot the hell out of it.

I shoot a Glock 34 in production. It is very reliable and eats almost any ammo. Any accuracy issues are solely my fault. The real advange I see is the ability of aftermarket parts and the Advantage Arms 22 conversion kit. Cheap practice using the same trigger helps.

I own and shoot a G17. I shoot more accurately with a M&P Pro. I stay with the Glock because they are simple and easy for the owner to work with, durable, lots of parts available and reliable. You may also want to take into consideration that Glock has the GSSF (Glock Shooting Sports Foundation). These are shoots for Glock owners and the prizes are generous. Several guns are usually given away along with cash and memberships.

I have 3 Glocks...

G34 (Main Race Gun), G17G4 (Backup Race Gun - but a beast as well) and a G26 for everyday carry CCW .. trust my life with them. Glockmeister is in Phx, they do all my work.

I like the xXD's and M&P's though as well.

i used to work in n indoor shooting range when Glock's first hit the market, we rented them, and in one instance we had one G17 go 60,000 rds in 6 or 8 months, in that time it broke a trigger return spring(a 2 dollar part and 2 min. fix)

on a personal level, i own several, am co-match director of a GSSF match here on the west coast, and have seen the level of support for their product first hand is second to none

I'm an XD man myself. For me the XD fits the best. Let me repeat, FOR ME it fits the best. It has nothing to do with who shoots what or how many rounds are fired through it. All 3 (glock, springfield and S&W) are all major manufacturers and have been building quality guns for a long time and spend millions on engineering them. For production purposes it's gonna come down to what fits YOU the best, what YOU shoot the most accurate and what YOU feel most comfortable with. Plain and simple. My XD feels like Christmas morning in my hand :rolleyes: and that's what you have to find out; which one feels the best for you. But, if you want a 2x4 that points at Mars and has the same trigger as a cap gun, go with the Glock!!Hahaha :sight::devil:

As everyone else has said...either one is a perfect choice, built and supported by 2 companies that have great reputations in competition, law-enforcement and every day concealed carry folks. Loved the jab from the guy with the XD too...maybe someday Springfield will make a gun that actually wins...other than the Frankenpistol that TGO is still shooting. Just kidding btw...I have a Springfield 9mm single-stack that's just awesome so I really don't dislike Springfields at all. The XD just isn't my cup of tea.

Either gun is a good choice, someone already said there are more and cheaper accessories for the glocks, I would recommend going to a range and shooting both. Then you should develop a preference for one or the other.

But realize with either gun, it is practice and technique that will make you a good shooter, first and foremost you need a reliable consistent gun that runs and runs.

I have carried Glock Model 22 for duty for many years. Has been loaded all the time. It still goes bang out of the holster every time. Armour's school for Glock-one day. Armour's school for M&P one week. And I am not stating anything negative about either pistols. Just the real facts. Either pistol will serve you well. It would be nice to see an American company to take over sales to law enforcement and competition shooters.

Well, ive shot them both (about 100 rds per) at the range. I have always liked the feel of a glock, but i was much faster (and had much better groups) with the M&P at about 15 yards on an indoor range. I think my mind is pretty much made up. now to just convince the bank. on a serious note, thanks for all the input and info fellas. helped out alot!