Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any opinions on the new IDPA 3-gun rules?

A few minutes ago I got an email from IDPA HQ saying they have drafted up a set of rules for IDPA multi-gun. I read over they briefly and they are similar to USPSA but different in the SG area most notably with the capacity being 6 total rounds in the gun.

I personally don't see the point of having yet another set of rules out there for 3-gun, but it is a free country. I'd be surprised to see any of the IDPA clubs in SoCal doing this match, but any chance I get to shoot is good with me.

Here is a link to the rules off the IDPA forum.

http://idpapostalmatch.co...paforum/IDPADMGrules.doc

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few thoughts...

10 shotgun rounds max / stage isnt much... Especially since you're only allowed 5+1 and an additional 6 on your belt, two spare rounds isnt a lot, especially if the stage is mixed bird/slugs.

Oddly enough no mag capacity for rifle, but stages with more than 15 rounds (18 max / stage) must have a mandatory reload.

No weak shoulder long gun at more than 20 yards as well as the no headshots beyond 30y seems a bit restrictive.

"only one type of ammunition may be loaded before the start of a stage", so no mixing bird and slugs in the tube. Not really sure I understand the need for this either, especially with the 5+1 mag capacity.

15yard max total movement for a multigun stage? I can understand that they dont want it to be about who can run a 100y dash faster, but 3 guns in 15 yards?

I'm sure some fun matches can be built with this format, but I dont really see myself traveling any distance to attend one.

Edited by gose

IDPA recognizes the use of long guns as well as handguns as defensive tools.

IDPA Defensive Multi-Gun (DMG) is designed to give clubs and competitors

the option of enjoying the use of these tools in a competitive environment.

IDPA DMG should be thought of as an occasional accompaniment to regular

IDPA matches and not a replacement of those matches.

IDPA DMG is a shooting sport that uses practical equipment to solve

simulated “real world” self-defense scenarios.

IDPA DMG shooting events require use of practical handguns, rifles,

shotguns, ammunition carriers and holsters that are truly suitable for selfdefense.

IDPA DMG Shooting events require the use of Rifles and Shotguns that are

typical of what is used for home defense and vehicle carry.

No “competition only” equipment is permitted in IDPA 3 Gun matches since

the main goal is to test the skill and ability of the individual, not equipment or

gamesmanship.

The highlighted portions above really illustrate the absurdity of their stage design limitations. Why have such a preamble then do so many things contrary to the stated mission purpose.

DMG- CoF 3. Shooter movement of more than ten (10) yards between firing points and fifteen (15) yards total movement in a string of fire is not permitted.

DMG- CoF 5. Avoid designing courses of fire that will substantially disadvantage senior and mobility-challenged shooters."

Because physical fitness and ability has NO bearing on ones ability to successfully defend oneself or win a fight.

"DMG- CoF 4. Only one (1) non-threat target may be used per every three (3) threat targets in any string of fire."

Because there will always be more hostiles in a self defense scenario than innocents milling around.

"DMG- CoF 16. No “weak-hand only” reloading."

Because you will never be wounded in a self defense situation, and you will never need to use only one hand to manipulate your firearm.

I really wouldn't have such an issue with any of these rules if the entire thesis for this competition format wasn't contrary to realistic training and contemporary tactics. The rules as published should be called "3 Gun Light" and not reference any thing related to the defensive use of firearms.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

A few thoughts...

10 shotgun rounds max / stage isnt much... Especially since you're only allowed 5+1 and an additional 6 on your belt, two spare rounds isnt a lot, especially if the stage is mixed bird/slugs.

Oddly enough no mag capacity for rifle, but stages with more than 15 rounds (18 max / stage) must have a mandatory reload.

No weak shoulder long gun at more than 20 yards as well as the no headshots beyond 30y seems a bit restrictive.

"only one type of ammunition may be loaded before the start of a stage", so no mixing bird and slugs in the tube. Not really sure I understand the need for this either, especially with the 5+1 mag capacity.

15yard max total movement for a multigun stage? I can understand that they dont want it to be about who can run a 100y dash faster, but 3 guns in 15 yards?

I'm sure some fun matches can be built with this format, but I dont really see myself traveling any distance to attend one.

I agree. Personally I am not a fan of shooting off the weak shoulder even in real life. Yes you expose less of your body as a target but you are shooting with your weak side and most people don't shoot nearly as well on this side and they must stay exposed longer to make the shots and their accuracy is not as great. If they wanted to limit weak side shooting they should say their must be a barricade or something for the competitor to shoot around (and use for support) to make weak side shooting viable.

If they hold a IDPA 3 Gun near me, I will give it a try. No reason to discount it before I have had a chance to try it. As I see it, there are so many 3 gun matches which have varying rule sets or variations from major rules structures that, to me this is just yet another rules structure variation to compete in. :sight:

Like I said, I'll try it if its local and then assess it. The more 3 gun, the merrier I believe.

Edited by cold

If they hold a IDPA 3 Gun near me, I will give it a try. No reason to discount it before I have had a chance to try it. As I see it, there are so many 3 gun matches which have varying rule sets or variations from major rules structures that, to me this is just yet another rules structure variation to compete in. :sight:

Like I said, I'll try it if its local and then assess it. The more 3 gun, the merrier I believe.

I agree the more the merrier. This type of match maybe just the thing for beginning shooters.

Pat

Don't you know you are supposed to bash on IDPA? :devil:

I agree. If there is one here, I'll go. A local club around here is toying with doing a rimfire 2 gun match every now and then. I'd go if there wasn't a real 3 gun match.

Shooting anything is better than shooting nothing, but I can't see this taking off. We've seen for several years now that the more rules= less participation.

Kind of looks like they are trying to level the playing field, doesn't it Trapr? :roflol:

Edit to add- I have to think some of these changes are simply for the sake of changing and to differintiate IDPA 3 gun from all others.

Edited by Bryan 45

I go to every local IDPA match I can attend. My fear is that they will try some of this 3 gun instead of the handgun matches. Then I have fewer handgun matches I can attend. I hope my clubs mostly ignore this new opportunity.

I go to every local IDPA match I can attend. My fear is that they will try some of this 3 gun instead of the handgun matches. Then I have fewer handgun matches I can attend. I hope my clubs mostly ignore this new opportunity.

I do remember reading somewhere that the 3-gun matches are going to be side matches along with normal IDPA matches, at least for the first couple months while they give the rules a preliminary trial. But it's really up to the club.

Then depending on the feedback they will move forward after some type of conclusion.

I agree. Personally I am not a fan of shooting off the weak shoulder even in real life. Yes you expose less of your body as a target but you are shooting with your weak side and most people don't shoot nearly as well on this side and they must stay exposed longer to make the shots and their accuracy is not as great. If they wanted to limit weak side shooting they should say their must be a barricade or something for the competitor to shoot around (and use for support) to make weak side shooting viable.

Tell that to Kyle Lamb and Greg Coker! :roflol:

Tell that to Kyle Lamb and Greg Coker! :roflol:

They don't shoot "weak" side, they shoot support side. But then you knew that.

I've never felt that most people not doing something well was a good excuse for anything.

From my experience, most people don't shoot a rifle well from either shoulder (excluding most 3 gun participants).

What I don't like is the mag tube length for shotguns-the only ones I have that don't extend past the muzzle are my Browning Citori and Mossberg 835 (my Duck Gun). You can only load 5 max, why would tube length matter?

I really enjoy IDPA, but with the abundance of rules and low round count, I don't how well these matches would do compared to other Multi Gun.

I have no idea how well these rules will be received by most IDPA shooters interested in multigun, but I will say this, there is a local club that has been running "defensive multi-gun" matches since the provisional rules came out and have built a pretty good following. I've shot a few of them all along and the increase in skill of most of the shooters involved is amazing. I'm not crazy about some of the rules myself, but I do hope it takes off.

A few thoughts...

So Pat......you never see the need to go bi-lateral in tight confines of a house when searching rooms?

A few thoughts...

So Pat......you never see the need to go bi-lateral in tight confines of a house when searching rooms?

Doesn't take too much work to make your "weak" side not so weak.....I made my weak side viable with practice :devil:

Edited by smokshwn

Now guys the TIGHT confines of Alaska's trailer parks and other "low Rent housing" that Pat loves to tell us all about,...the ones where even a 14.5" barrel is toooo damn long, all turn to the right...it is THE code in Alaska building so no-one needs to do bi-latteral shooting..."Alastical" shooting!