Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Question (and Holy Cow!!)

Well, here here. I've been thinking about getting back into reloading for a while now, and have been nosing around various fora looking for info on presses and other reloading subjects. I had Brian's site bookmarked, but hadn't surfed over here for a while. In two words HOLY COW!! What a bonanza of information on reloading in general and Dillon in particular :o Now for my question:

From Brian's "which press" Page..."Although not really a drawback, but it is worth mentioning, the case feeder for the 650 is optional, meaning add another 173 bucks to the base price of the machine. (Don’t even think of buying a 650 without the casefeeder.)"

Would someone like to elaborate on this? I plan on loading mostly pistol (9mm, 357SIG, 38spcl/357Mag, 40S&W/10mm, 41Mag, 44spcl/Mag, 45ACP, 45Colt and 454 Cassul), some rifle (30-06Spr for now, maybe 223Rem and 308Win later).

You can buy a 650 without a casefeeder and I guess some have, but you need the casefeeder to really take advantage of the speed of the machine. Without the casefeeder a 650 is just a real complex, over priced 550. In fact without a casefeeder on the 650 a 550 is a better loader. Larry

Yeah I totally agree. When first starting out I bought the 650 without the 650 because I thought "how long does it take to put in a case." Well after 2 times loading on the machine I bought the case feeder. The 650 with casefeeder has been one of the best shooting purchases I've ever made. It def. paid for itself already several times over.

Pete :ph34r:

If you are going to go the 650 route, I would suggest first getting the machine set up in the calibres you will load heaps of. Buy the machine from the outset with the 4 casefeed plate kit. This means you will have, from day one, all the plates you are likely to need.

Then as you buy the rest of the conversion kits and dies you want, you will already have the required plate.

Remember this, if you own the press in 9mm/38super and you buy the 40/10mm set up, all you need to load 357Sig is a toolhead, powder dies and reloading dies. You can mix and match the shellplates and pins with the powder funnels.

45ACP shellplate and pins will work for 30-06 and 308, so just buy the casefeed adaptors and a powder funnel and you are away.

The .223Rem shellplate is same as 38Super Comp, 9mm Largo and 38TJ???

I bought a 650 3 years ago, ordered the electric casefeeder yesterday. Can't wait till it gets here. I've enjoyed the 650 without the electric casefeeder but think it will be more efficient with it. I did however make a longer feed tube for mine that would hold about 50 9mm cases. That did make life easier.

I'll be watching for the big brown truck! :D

I started with my 650 by loading 20 or so cases at a time in the tube before I got the casefeeder. (You can't just put it in the shellplate like you do on a 550 or SDB.) It's not so bad. Anytime I have a Super case nested in a 40 case and the @#$%! thing ties up and I have to disassemble it, I yearn for the simple days of hand-feeding.

I still haven't picked up a casefeeder for my 650. I have four tubes from a local plastic supply house that hold 40+ 9mm cases each. So far I don't feel all that hindered but I seldom make more than a few hundred at a time. If you make much more than that at a shot the casefeed would help a great deal.

-ld

Well, my HOLY COW still stands. Guys, thanks for the information. My situation is that I will not be loading thousands of rounds per month. Maybe 300-500 of 3 or 4 of the rounds that I listed. Would I be better off with the 550 (from a cost point of view). I'd like to get started for around $500 (with accesories, scale, case tumbler, etc.) I think that the 650, fully tricked out is going to cost that much.

I load on a 550, and I think it is a good, efficient press. I can get a few hundred rounds per hour out of it (less than the published rates when you account for filling primer tubes, weighing powder charges, cleaning the press, confirming adjustments).

My impression is that it is easier and faster to change calibers on the 550 than on the 650--there's just less work to do. If you really only want to load a couple hundred, then switch calibers and load another couple hundred, then the 550 might be the ticket.

On the other hand, if you got a 650, you might just decide to load a couple thousand one month, then switch calibers, and load a couple thousand more next month. With the 650 you can really take advantage of economies of scale.

DogmaDog

erik warren

I started with my 650 by loading 20 or so cases at a time in the tube before I got the casefeeder. (You can't just put it in the shellplate like you do on a 550 or SDB.) It's not so bad. Anytime I have a Super case nested in a 40 case and the @#$%! thing ties up and I have to disassemble it, I yearn for the simple days of hand-feeding.

erik,

i cut the tube about 1/2 inch to be able to pull the tube out and access the stuck .40 case. hope this helps. see attached image.

lynn

650%20tube.JPG

If you buy into the idea that one press can do everything and can last the life of your interests, then the 650 is the only choice that would make sense to me. It amazes me the amount of presses some guys own. I guess if you had unlimited money and space the more the merrier, but a smooth running 650 can do it all for alot less.

I find it annoying to load without the casefeeder. It seems just when I get into a rhythm the tube is empty. To me the real benefit of the 650 is the auto-indexing. Just put on a bullet and pull the handle.

Without the casefeeder it's pretty comparable to the 550 price, and if you spread the difference over years of use the cost is not really an issue.

My .02

Ditto what the other posts said about choosing the 650 straight away. There is a little more to the story that hasn't been posted.

One of the key features of the 650 is that it auto indexes, meaning that you do not have to remember to move the shell plate. I have heard some people say that this makes it easier to screw up and not charge a case (i.e. if the powder measure fouls up). Maybe. The only time I have ever had this happen was when I let the powder bin run dry. But that's where another feature comes in - the powder check. When I did seriously undercharge a case, I got that irritating beep warning me.

Also, since I don't have to worry about a lot of stuff (setting cases, indexing, etc) my focus is on looking into the mouth of each case just before I set the bullet. There are then 2 checks - 1 mechanical and one visual that there is approximately the right amount of powder in the case.

Even if you don't get the feeder up front because of $$, get the 650 and a couple of extra feed tubes.

erik, 

i cut the tube about 1/2 inch to be able to pull the tube out and access the stuck .40 case.  hope this helps.  see attached image.

lynn

650%20tube.JPG

I moved my casefeeder ~1/4" up the mounting post. Same theory.

Another aspect of the 650 is if you can find a shooting buddy that uses the same load you can reload together. One pulling the handle and one setting the bullets. That way you each have a free hand to drink beer while watching the football game/nascar race/shooting video/whatever....... Yeah the 650 is the best.

:D:D:D:D:D

Legal Disclaimer: Loading ammo and consuming alcohol may be hazardous to your health.

Questions on which press to purchase can be best answered by your host BE. Just give him a call. I like you load for 9's, 40's 38's, 38 super & 223. I load 40's & 9's on my 550b at well over 500 per hour and 223's at over 300 per hour with my primer tubes filled in advance. The change over time on the 550 b is simple and fast. Why buy more work than you need. A 550b will more than do what your needs are! Old John