Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a reloading bench

S-Hurt

Help! I need to build a new reloading bench ASAP. I need it to be at least 8' or 9' long to hold a Dillon 1050 and Dillon 650. What is the best countertop? My old countertop was a cheap one from Lowes and its done a good job but I wondering if there is something better? Come on ... give me ideas with pictures!

Help! I need to build a new reloading bench ASAP. I need it to be at least 8' or 9' long to hold a Dillon 1050 and Dillon 650. What is the best countertop? My old countertop was a cheap one from Lowes and its done a good job but I wondering if there is something better? Come on ... give me ideas with pictures!

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5485&view=findpost&p=67681

Good support for the top is as important as the top itself. My next one will likely be two sections of 3/4 plywood laminated together then trimmed with some type of hardwood to cover the edges. I also slant the top to the rear ever so slightly so when tiny parts fall they tend to stay on the bench and not fall on the floor.

Good support for the top is as important as the top itself. My next one will likely be two sections of 3/4 plywood laminated together then trimmed with some type of hardwood to cover the edges. I also slant the top to the rear ever so slightly so when tiny parts fall they tend to stay on the bench and not fall on the floor.

Just put a little piece of trim around it.

Mines got 2x6 as a base with 3/4" plywood screwed on top of that. All aged wood taken out of an old Emu pin. A bit stained. I need my barn so couldn't do barn wood.

I just bought a work table from Sams Wholesale Club - it has a butcher block top that is unreal. It take two men to move it. Very well made.

Yep, I've got the same one...it is VERY sturdy! I added two shelves to the right side by putting brackets between the legs and adding semi-finished wood from Lowes (don't recall the thickness, but it's pretty stout). I've got hundreds of pounds of bullets on the shelves and it's quite stable...it's not even bolted to the wall and I can crank on it hard without movement. R,

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=101756

Edited by G-ManBart

I just bought a work table from Sams Wholesale Club - it has a butcher block top that is unreal. It take two men to move it. Very well made.

Yep, I've got the same one...it is VERY sturdy! I added two shelves to the right side by putting brackets between the legs and adding semi-finished wood from Lowes (don't recall the thickness, but it's pretty stout). I've got hundreds of pounds of bullets on the shelves and it's quite stable...it's not even bolted to the wall and I can crank on it hard without movement. R,

Well, I have one as well. But when it came time to bolting a press to it, well, it was just to damn pretty, with that maple top and all (plus it set up just a bit too high for me). That's where my supplies and tumblers are.

Edited by GrumpyOne

+1 on these work benchs. I put two end to end which gives about 12 feet of space. I've read lots of posts about bolting your loading table to the wall for less movement but these things are heavy enough that I haven't had to do it and have had no problem with movement either.

Edited by tohlmann

I just ordered one from Harbour Freight. They are on sale for $159 instead of $400. Works out great. I'm moving next month and need to set up the garage for my reloading area. I may just have to order a second one.

I just ordered one from Harbour Freight. They are on sale for $159 instead of $400. Works out great. I'm moving next month and need to set up the garage for my reloading area. I may just have to order a second one.

I have an older version of that HF bench. I like it for small tasks, and used it for a loading bench, but it's not nearly as sturdy as the Sam's club bench ($200). R,

My bench tops are just 3/4" cabinet grade plywood (birch maybe?). They're smaller though, only 4' wide, so there's no flex. At 8' you might want to go with two layers, or one or two crossbars for extra rigidity. The second one which I built for my 1050 is reinforced where the press mounts with a second layer of plywood underneath. It's no butcher block, but it's cheap.

People tend to underestimate the importance of the top and over estimate the importance of the legs.

My top is two 3/4 peices of scrap plywood, glued and screwed. Then add 4.25" wide X .5"" thick hardwood flooring, glued and nailed. My legs are 44" long and are simple 1 inch pipe. With the top attached to the wall all the pipe does is hold up to top. It carries zero side loading if the top does not flex. If the top flexes then the base carries side loadings. A typical kitchen countertop flexes a lot more then you want and it will require bracing in the legs to eliminate movement. So the top being strong and attached to the wall is the most important part of the process.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I bought the Seville work-bench today based on the recommendations in this thread. This is a SOLID table. I got the press mounted today, I just have to recalibrate everything (it's been in storage for 9 weeks during my house move). Now I can start reloading again, just in time as I'm down to my last 200-300 rounds.

It took a little while to get the table level as the garage floor has a slight decline towards the door (I presume for drainage). I signed up for Sam's Club just so I could get this thing, even with the $40 membership it was worth every penny. It was a tight fit in my Land Rover....

I'm going to save up some money and get the set of drawers to go with it, I assume it will fit under the table.

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's late, but I am in the process of building one myself. I just found some 1" thick playwood at homedepot. It's used for flooring, but I am planning on doubling that up and using some 4x4 posts for legs. I'm hoping that will work well. Cost of everything should be about $50-$60.

I bought the Seville work-bench today based on the recommendations in this thread. This is a SOLID table. I got the press mounted today, I just have to recalibrate everything (it's been in storage for 9 weeks during my house move). Now I can start reloading again, just in time as I'm down to my last 200-300 rounds.

It took a little while to get the table level as the garage floor has a slight decline towards the door (I presume for drainage). I signed up for Sam's Club just so I could get this thing, even with the $40 membership it was worth every penny. It was a tight fit in my Land Rover....

I'm going to save up some money and get the set of drawers to go with it, I assume it will fit under the table.

Cool...I've been very happy with mine. If you want to see a pic of how I made shelves for the right side, let me know and I'll take a couple. R,

Well, I have one as well. But when it came time to bolting a press to it, well, it was just to damn pretty, with that maple top and all (plus it set up just a bit too high for me). That's where my supplies and tumblers are.

You could take a look at Pat's RockDock.

http://www.patmarlins.com/

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=68714

gohuskers, that sure is a nice ash top. How did you sand it down to even the boards up? Not a bad setup, though I'd probably make up some plugs myself.

Edited by Dannix

I think they are designed to fit, but check them out in the store before you buy if possible. I bought the same table a while ago and looked at the cabinets. Unfortunately the cabinets were noticibly poorly made compared to the table. Things not square or flush, little gaps, etc. Just seemed very cheap compared to the great table, and the cabinets are $$$. Too bad...