Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to decide on a 1911 for CC

Revopop

So a while back I got a Colt CCO for carry, and all was well. It just so happened that once I found a holster that worked well for me, it so happened that I got the same holster for a 5" 1911. So just to see, I tried carrying my full size Kimber. I found that the longer grip wasn't any harder to hide under the baggy tees and Hawaiian shirts I wear, so I figured I might as well get something with a full size grip so I'd have an extra round in the gun, familiarity of controls, ability to swap mags/grips, etc. The only downside was the weight of the gun. It was noticeably heavier on the belt, especially at the end of the day. I pictured some sort of lightweight Commander sized gun.

So I did a little recon at a nearby huge gun shop, and handled a few different pieces. The one I fell in love with was a Dan Wesson VBOB. I really like the bobtail grip frame, and the one they had was a "blem" so I could actually afford it. The only thing I didn't like was the weight. I also handled a Springfield Loaded Champion Lightweight, and very much liked it. I also handled a Colt Lightweight Government, which is full sized but with a lightweight frame. Now I can't decide.

The VBOB is definitely the most nicely fit/finished one of the bunch, and will probably only appreciate in value, but it's also the most expensive, and it has a steel frame so it's noticeably heavier than the other 2. The Colt is nice, and will also hold it's value well, but it doesn't come with night sights so figure an extra $100 or so and the hassle of having to change out the sights. The Springfield costs the least, so much so that I could actually send it to the Springfield Custom Shop and have it bobtailed and it'd end up costing about as much as the Colt with night sights added.

Those are the pros and cons, but being much less experienced than most in carrying a 1911, I thought it best to ask some of you with more experience.

So, what size/weight of 1911 do you carry and why?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a big guy down from a bigger guy (lost 90 pounds) and I carry a lightly modified Colt LW officers ACP. A well known GS stated that the LW's are more reliable than the all steel model so when I came across a LW that I was able to afford I bought it had it modified and carry it a lot. During the hotter times (like now) I carry in a fanny pack and don't get a first look let along a second. When able, I carry in an Askens Avenger type holster. I use Wilson and McCormick 7 round mags and they work all the time. I shoot IDPA with it sometimes just because. It accounted for two clean scores in a "BUG" gun match...mine and a RO that had never shot it before. He liked it so much he went looking for one for himself.

FWIW

Richard

I carry a 5" steel frame, and if I had the cash, I would pick up a 5" alloy framed gun. It would be easier for me to rely on a 5" gun than a 3 or 4". I'm sure there are many that run 100%, but short guns are generally more finnicky.

Just my opinion.

Eric

I am carrying the Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry (3") in a modified Blackhawk Serpa or a custom belt slide. This has been my go to eversince I bought it. Of course the previous owner had the Kimber Bomar style sights put on it, but I have not had any issiues with them (easier to see). This one does have an alloy frame, so it is a bit lighter than my all steel 5".

I carry a Kimber Pro Carry. 60% of the time I carry using a Crossbreed Supertuck. If I am wearing my shirt tucked in then, of course, I always wear the Crossbreed. The Crossbreed with the Pro Carry is perfect as the barrel doesn't protrude below the leather of the holster where a 5" does and if you are carry all of the time it will eventually wear a hole in your britches with the 5". The 5" is also more noticeable (looks like you have a tail), the Pro Carry is is nearly impossible to notice small of the back, which is how I always wear the Crossbreed.

If I don't have a belt on and my shirt is untucked, wearing shorts, driving, etc., I will appendix carry, a little more back toward the kidney, the Kimber Pro Carry with no holster. I will just slip it in between my britches and shorts. It is a very comfortable way to carry a 1911 and retention is fine. I carry this way probably 30% of the time usually when in and out of the truck, running into a store, etc. It is nice as I can just take my pistol out when I get out of the truck and slip it in between the seats and when I get out, I can slip it back into my britches.

Sometimes if I am walking or doing something more active, like today, I will throw on a cheap $10 uncle mike's IWB, the one with the black plastic clip. It is great with shorts, untucked shirt and no belt or with a belt. I will use this when I want a little more retention than carrying without a holster because I am doing something more active, etc.

An alloy frame 1911 is 10x's more comfortable to carry than a full size. With my Kimber I'm not giving up any accuracy or function either, I am 100% confident in the Pro Carry, accuracy wise and function. The only difference is that it is a little more of a handful to shoot compared to the 5". I also carry flush fitting mags so I am giving up 1 compared to my 47 D's.

Edited by old506

Even though I bought a really nice, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, back in 2004, with the idea that with the "bob tail" I'd carry it, I think it's too heavy, and usually grab my old, .40 caliber, Pro-Carry.

Even though I bought a really nice, Ed Brown Kobra Carry, back in 2004, with the idea that with the "bob tail" I'd carry it, I think it's too heavy, and usually grab my old, .40 caliber, Pro-Carry.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I think I've decided on the Springfield Lightweight Champion. I've found that the 5" gun is too long for me to wear in my sports car (Jaguar XJS), so the 5" gun is out, and I just think the steel frame is gonna be too heavy. I think I'll be happiest with the 4" lightweight gun.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I think I've decided on the Springfield Lightweight Champion. I've found that the 5" gun is too long for me to wear in my sports car (Jaguar XJS), so the 5" gun is out, and I just think the steel frame is gonna be too heavy. I think I'll be happiest with the 4" lightweight gun.

Dan Wesson CCO, American made, and no MIM.

Dan Wesson CCO, American made, and no MIM.

Yeah, but I just sold my Colt CCO for something with a full sized grip. I wish that DW would make the VBOB in a lightweight frame. Kimber's making one now, but street price is only about $100 less than a DW, and I just don't think the value is there compared to a DW.

I can also recommend the Light Weight Commander. Slide long enough for reliability, full size grip, slide short enough for comfortable IWB and good quality without a firing pin safety that works off the grip safety.

Dont overlook having a custom gun done. Im sure you could have a lightweight commander build with good parts by a good gunsmith for around the going price of a VBOB or close to it.

I have three 1911s that I carry as circumstances warrant.

1. If I need maximum concealment and minimum weight (i.e. wearing a suit in the city on business), I carry a Springfield Armory EMP.

2. For most uses, I carry an S&W 1911 scandium frame commander, with a bobtail mainspring. It's light, accurate, and carries a decent payload of .45acp.

3. When I can wear a proper belt and can handle the weight, and when I'm out of doors, I carry a Kimber 10mm. Somehow the 10mm makes me feel warm and fuzzy, regardless of the threat potential, but the 10mm really needs a hefty frame.

All are carried in paddles or removable OTB leather rigs, though I also use a shoulder holster every now and then when driving a lot.

I use a 4" BWC Wilson (steel frame) in a Bullard leather holster which holds it tight to my body. I sold a 3" Kimber Ultra CDP because every time I shot it my teeth hurt. Both guns are/were practiced with often and have been 100% reliable.

For most uses, I carry an S&W 1911 scandium frame commander, with a bobtail mainspring. It's light, accurate, and carries a decent payload of .45acp.

Where did you get the bobtail mainspring housing? I have the same pistol for carry and really love it but a bobtail mainspring housing would make it near perfect.

I carry my Dan Wesson CBOB daily. It may seem heavy but with a proper rig it is barely noticable. After a long quest for holster/belt I now exclusively carry in a comp-tac M-tac holster with a wilderness belt with stifener in it (stifener not necessary for IWB carry but definatly requried for belt carry with heavy guns). I used to carry a m&p40C but find the CBOB more comfortable and easier to conceal. Comp tac belt holster is nice too.

That being said, If the s&w 1911PD scandium frame had a bobtail option I may have gone with that.

You will love the VBOB.

For most uses, I carry an S&W 1911 scandium frame commander, with a bobtail mainspring. It's light, accurate, and carries a decent payload of .45acp.

Where did you get the bobtail mainspring housing? I have the same pistol for carry and really love it but a bobtail mainspring housing would make it near perfect.

It's an Ed Brown Bobtail. You'll need the cutting jig, or need to borrow one, but it is quite the improvement when done right.