Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000

scap99

Based on everyone's almost unanimous support of Solo 1000, I purchased an 8# keg from Powder Valley last night.

My wife was passed out from allergy medicine when I requested prior approval, so naturally, she said yes. :cheers:

I have absolutely zero experience with this stuff, so I'm a bit nervous that I purchased such a large quantity without previous personal experience. I have faith that you guys are praising this powder because it is just that good.

I hope to be one of the Solo 1000 fans by the end of the month!

If not, I've got a lot of expensive fertilizer...just kidding. :lol:

S1k varies some lot to lot so be careful. Start low and chrono map up slowly. It's great stuff. Never thought I could replace Clays, but S1k did.

S1k varies some lot to lot so be careful. Start low and chrono map up slowly. It's great stuff. Never thought I could replace Clays, but S1k did.

Duly noted. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I've read it several times, but had forgotten...

I am really liking it so far. About 12 lbs so far in both 9 and .40 and it seems to be a good replacement for the TG I was using previously.

Cool. I really liked the TG loads I've been shooting, but they do generate alot of heat...I think you are the one that told me you burned your hand with it.

n320 is the my first pick but Solo 1000 is a close second and a whole heckuva lot cheaper.

I couldn't find any N320 either, since I discovered VV back in the early '90's I've used N350 almost exclusively for my .40. I would definitely jump on some N320 had I been able to find it locally and/or for a decent price.

I burned through my initial two lbs of Solo 1000 in about 3 months and just got my first 8 pound jug of it as well. Obviously I am perfectly happy with it. If you decide its not for you, I would be glad to take the rest of the jug off your hands and can arrange pick up in H-town. But, I dont see that happening :cheers:

Edited by Sharpe

From everything I've read on this stuff, I don't think I will be unhappy. Too many of you guys are saying good things about it.

I do wish I had been able to get a smaller container for my maiden voyage, but I know I can find a good home for it in the unlikely event that I don't like it.

Weight each powder charge for all of your chrono ammo with S1000, and don't be suprised if you see no velocity change from .1 gr changes. It's big fluffly flaked powder, and sometimes it tough to get quantative results from just .1 gr's of powder. S1000 doesn't throw nice and neat like N320 and TG from the powder throw. It gave me absolute fits the first time I tried it. You will have to throw 30+ test charges to dial it in, and you will have to test powder throws a lot more often during the reloading sessions in comparison with other powders. I tested a throw every 20-25 rounds when first reloading ammo with S1000. I learned a lot about my powder throw with S1000 doing this and now keep my power reservoir filled within a certain range to keep the throws consistant. I don't like it with 115gr 9mm rounds. It just won't get to 130pf without some pressure concerns. 124s and up will work just fine. I used it for 165-200gr bullets in .40 cal, and 200 and 230 gr bullets in 45 ACP. They all shoot well within my needs.

It's great stuff, but not trouble-free. Once you get the powder throw kinks worked out you will like the results. It's by far the best powder I've found with lead and moly bullets. I usually don't recommend it to brand new reloaders though as it can be frustrating for a newbie.

I burned through my initial two lbs of Solo 1000 in about 3 months and just got my first 8 pound jug of it as well. Obviously I am perfectly happy with it. If you decide its not for you, I would be glad to take the rest of the jug off your hands and can arrange pick up in H-town. But, I dont see that happening :cheers:

My only gripe with S1000 is that the small bottles are 3/4lb. I can't imagine why they would market a powder towards shot shells and then sell it in an sub-standard weight. I'm guessing it's just too fluffy to fit a pound into Accurate's standard 1 pound packaging.

Weight each powder charge for all of your chrono ammo with S1000, and don't be suprised if you see no velocity change from .1 gr changes. It's big fluffly flaked powder, and sometimes it tough to get quantative results from just .1 gr's of powder. S1000 doesn't throw nice and neat like N320 and TG from the powder throw. It gave me absolute fits the first time I tried it. You will have to throw 30+ test charges to dial it in, and you will have to test powder throws a lot more often during the reloading sessions in comparison with other powders. I tested a throw every 20-25 rounds when first reloading ammo with S1000. I learned a lot about my powder throw with S1000 doing this and now keep my power reservoir filled within a certain range to keep the throws consistant. I don't like it with 115gr 9mm rounds. It just won't get to 130pf without some pressure concerns. 124s and up will work just fine. I used it for 165-200gr bullets in .40 cal, and 200 and 230 gr bullets in 45 ACP. They all shoot well within my needs.

It's great stuff, but not trouble-free. Once you get the powder throw kinks worked out you will like the results. It's by far the best powder I've found with lead and moly bullets. I usually don't recommend it to brand new reloaders though as it can be frustrating for a newbie.

I always spend time to get the powder settled by tapping it really good. Then about 10 throws and it's good. For some reason all my loads seem to be more consistent if I just let the powder measure do what it is supposed to do. I had a dial on my powder measure and ussually just turned the dial to "2:30" setting, check the throw and start loading. If I need .1 grain more I knew to turn it to "2:45" or something like that. I have a micrometer now so it's nice to be able to use that rather then the pointer. Typically Solo 1000 gets more consistent with charges that result in 130PF or more. In my experiance at that point it's typical to have single digit ES's. YOU NEED A CHRONO. You need to be comfortable working it up. I also don't like it with 115gr 9mm but 124 gr or heavier it works great. I use it for 124 FMJ and various 147gr and now my 155gr lead Lyman bullets.

Ran a few rounds down range this afternoon. Loaded 20 rounds up with 3.6gr, 20 with 3.8gr, and 20 with 4.0gr All were topped off with a Precision Bullets 125gr FP.

All shot well, great accuracy at 15 yds.

Guys, I really like this powder, so far. Glad I jumped into this one with both feet!

I have really, really tried to like this powder and make it work for my 9mm minor loads with 124gr bullets. Out of my M&P I cant get up to 130PF like I want without going way over max, and not really feeling comfortable with it. I do however use it in some .40 and .45 loads though. I just wish it worked in 9mm for me. work up your loads slowly, and make sure you really watch the chrono. Good luck...

Bass

I am having similar problems with MG 124 CMJ. My jug is slow and 4.7gr at 1.130" is only making 116 PF. I emailed Accurate and they told me I probably need 5.1gr :surprise: based on my chrono results. 5.1gr of Solo in a 9mm case is too much volume. I will probably switch to 147gr or save this jug for .45acp. I really like Solo but the lot to lot variation stinks.

My jug says it is Lot 1930 and what appears to be a date of 3-17-10

I'm not terribly concerned with PF at this point, just spending time at the range mostly. I guess once I get into competition that will all change. I just don't have the time right now.

I'm not terribly concerned with PF at this point, just spending time at the range mostly. I guess once I get into competition that will all change. I just don't have the time right now.

In that case it is great powder. Just be careful like others have said.

In that case it is great powder. Just be careful like others have said.

It's pretty forgiving and seems to have a nice pressure curve. There's .357 and .44 mag load data for it.

I love it and I have been using it since 2004; 9mm, 45, Major 40 - even 38 special - "I put that **** on everything!"

When adjusting the Dillon powder measure, fiirst go to a LARGER volume of powder & work your way DOWN to the weight you want. Should work better that way.