Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which will I be more competitive in?

Wik

I'm looking to start shooting in USPSA Limted or Production. I first assumed that production would be the easiest place to compete in, but was I mistaken? Are there more competitors on a national level in production who shoot as good or better than the limited guys that make it harder to compete?

I ask because I bought a Glock 34, but the shop accidently ordered a Glock 35. I'm wondering if I should just keep the 35 and shoot Limited Major.

But the kicker is I don't reload so I can't load down the .40s&w and ammo costs will be higher. I think I'd like the 34 better since I have more guns in 9mm, but would I have an easier time making higher rank in limited?

Thanks

Edited by Wik

Just starting out you literally have years before you need to worry about competing with the major players in the game. Depending on your particular area you might have more shooters of one division than another. Usually that will be limited. Limited appeals to many because you can top off your mags and do a whole lot less reloads. I shoot a 34 in production and it is as if it's made for it. Around here more folks tend to shoot divisions other than production so I can sometimes hold my own in a match(depends on who shows up :lol: ). But remember, you are only really competing within the division you are shooting and to break it down more you are trying to stay ahead of the guys with the same classification as you.

For what its worth, you can sell that 35 in about 10 seconds if you want a 34 instead. Hell, I'll buy it if the price is right.

It depends on if you are looking at National classifiers, being competitive at major matches or being competitive at the local club. Look at the local match results, which class is larger, has more GM, M and A shooters. Then it depends on if you are good at reloads, stage planning, accuracy and recoil control. For many shooters, one division "appeals" to them more than others. From my personal perspective, unles you have A class on up shooters, you will probably do better overall in Production than in Limited. Production minor ammo, is definately easier on the wallet than Limited major. In either case, a Lee Pro100 in either caliber is like $150 or so and will pay for itself after about 10 matches. No, it is not the best press, but loading small primer rounds, it does fine. I used one for many years.

First off, welcome!

Now, a couple of things come to mind here. You're looking to start, so forget about where you're classified...whether you're a D in say Production or a C in Limited really doesn't mean anything. So, forget which division is "easier"...pretty much none of them are. Each club/area has it's more popular divisions, and that sort of may make things seem different, but on a national level, you don't have to worry about competing with the better shooters (much less the best) in either division for quite a while. To make a comparison, I think I'm a pretty solid A in Open and not far from M. I got thumped by Dave S. at the High Desert Classic and he was shooting Production...he was 6th combined overall, I was 15th. The gun was a very small part of that!

If you don't reload, Atlanta Arms & Ammo is probably your best bet. You can get both .40 Major and Minor from that would let you shoot both Limited Major and Production Minor with a G35. They also make excellent 9mm Minor (that, coincidentally, Dave S was shooting last time I shot on a squad with him) that would shoot softer and probably save you money over typical store bought ammo. R,

Thanks for the tips. I'm not too concerned on a local level. My overall goal is to become a better shooter and to advance classes no matter where I start. I have fired roughly 4,000 rounds of 9mm since I started shooting pistols 2 years ago, so I'm definitely not as experienced as 98% of the shooters out there. I am a competitive person and do enjoy winning, but I am more concerned about classing up over winning local matches (although the two sort of go hand in hand I would think).

For classifiers your scores are compared to only those within your division, correct? So becoming an A shooter in production, one's scores wouldn't be competing against open shooter's scores?

I've decided I'm going to have the shop fix their screw up and get me the Glock 34. It is what I've wanted, and I'll be able to standardize my ammo a little bit more. I already have mags for it and a few thousand rounds of 9mm (American Eagle 124 grain).

If you really want to be competitive, make your next purchase a progressive reloader.

And good luck :cheers:

+1 on that. a good progressive loader is essential to churn out quantities of practice ammo. It would be very hard to move up in class or be competitive without putting in dry fire and live fire practice.

Thanks for the tips. I'm not too concerned on a local level. My overall goal is to become a better shooter and to advance classes no matter where I start. I have fired roughly 4,000 rounds of 9mm since I started shooting pistols 2 years ago, so I'm definitely not as experienced as 98% of the shooters out there. I am a competitive person and do enjoy winning, but I am more concerned about classing up over winning local matches (although the two sort of go hand in hand I would think).

For classifiers your scores are compared to only those within your division, correct? So becoming an A shooter in production, one's scores wouldn't be competing against open shooter's scores?

I've decided I'm going to have the shop fix their screw up and get me the Glock 34. It is what I've wanted, and I'll be able to standardize my ammo a little bit more. I already have mags for it and a few thousand rounds of 9mm (American Eagle 124 grain).

That is correct.

I would say getting classified higher in one division over the other is a myth, Production and Limited are both extremely competitive and you truly have to earn your classification.

You have the best possible gun in the 35 to make your own decision. If you don't like shooting Limited, you can shoot it in Production without losing anything competitively. Do the math on buying ammo and you'll see it won't take too long to pay for a reloading setup.

I think in THIS situation, your gun-store ordering the wrong gun will actually work in your favor.

I agree w/ Precision40.

If you get into the sport, you will end up reloading your own ammo. At that point, except for the (slightly) higher component cost, the G35 at minor power factor becomes comparable to the G34, and has the benefit of allowing you to shoot major PF in Limited or L10 with the same platform, the same brass and bullet and just a bit more powder in the case. ;)

Until you start to reload, AA&A minor 40 ammo will work well, and you can save the brass.

Just another two cents worth.

KC

eta: Now if you really want the G34, go for it. It's not like buying another Glock for Limited Division is going to break the bank. :D

Edited by kevin c

My 2 cents I give new shooters is regardless of what your long term plan is enter Limited for your first few matches either minor or major whatever. shooting limited lets you load to mag capacity and reload less(don't worry about extended mags unless you plan to stay in limited) letting you concentrate on shooting not reloading. after you have a few matches under your belt and are more comfortable with how everything works then set yourself up for whatever division suits your fancy.

as for what division is easier to be competitive in they are all about the same, I spent the last year shooting a different gun or division at every match and got classified the same class in all the divisions so the old saying that its the Indian not the arrow is true.

just have fun and shoot.

Mike

I got the 34 because I want to shoot production and it makes more sense for standardizing my ammo. I can also shoot about 40% more rounds for the money. I am in college and do not have the space to reload. I asked them to rush it due to it being their screw up and last time it took them a week to get the wrong gun. They were very understanding of my frustration and handled it well. I know how bad it makes them sound, but they are good guys. I don't understand how they possibly could have got it wrong since everyday I called and asked if the 34 was in, and when I placed the order I said 34 and 9mm both about 5 times. Oh well, they're making it right. It sure cuts down on the trigger time and dry fire practice I would get with it before my match monday though. It maybe won't even be here in time for my match, last time it took a week.

I would say it depends on when you plan to start reloading. If you don't plan on reloading at this time, then get the G34. If you plan to start reloading extremely soon, then get the G35.

I also recommend people start out in Limited if possible if within their equipment limitations. I will say though, starting out in any division is better than waiting.

I think one thing people forget, or don't take into account, with this whole "you can handload .40 as light as 9mm so why have a 9mm" thing is that, especially considering the recent (though thankfully recovering) primer situation, we do tend to occasionally hit those times when the match rolls around and we don't have any of our ultra-quality, loving-crafted-for-the perfect-recoil-impulse handloads. But if we're avid gun nuts (not that that description fits anyone on this board :)), we may well have some factory ball laying around. So what do we do, blow off the match or grab a few boxes of factory and head out the door? I've had this happen to me several times, and I grab the factory stuff and head out the door.

Especially for shooters at the lower skill levels - and those are almost invariably the folks asking for advice in this area - if you're shooting a 9mm this is no big deal. No, the factory stuff will not have the same recoil impulse as your 147/N320 handloads (or whatever) but the overall level of recoil is going to be pretty darn close to what you're used to shooting. If OTOH you're used to shooting super-soft .40 Minor and you have to fire a match with .40 factory (which is going be running Major or close to it) that's a much larger recoil jump to have to deal with, especially in a lightweight gun like a Glock. For less experienced shooters that is a big deal.