Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't more people shoot single stack?

Pro2AInPA

That's it for me. Shooting basically the same pistol that J.M.B. came up with 100 years ago, carried by both my grandfathers to protect this country. I had my grandfather over last weekend on the 4th. He isn't and never was a big "gun" guy. He is in his mid 80's and was an MP in the war crimes tribunal guarding Tojo to and from the trial and also in the prison until they hung him for Pearl Harbor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideki_T%C5%8Dj%C5%8D Anyway, last weekend he noticed my pistol on top of the fridge in my race rig. I took it out and gave it to him and after all those years it was like a hand and a glove. He knew exactly how to make it run and I doubt that he had even picked up a 1911 since the WWII. That's one of the reason's I shoot SS.

Shooting SS is like bowhunting and fly fishing, it is spiritual.

Guys that shoot SS like that spiritual side of the challenge.

SS is about the journey, not the outcome.

If you understand that above, you are probably already shooting SS, for those of you that don't, keep shooting the Hi-Caps!!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like doing a walk through when shooting revolver, other shooters will say "Oh man, this stage sucks for you."

I'll say.. "No, the reloading is what makes it fun." Same goes for single stack.

Limited looks boring to me and Open just looks stressful (with Limiteds boring thrown in)

If you understand that above, you are probably already shooting SS, for those of you that don't, keep shooting the Hi-Caps!!!

Spiritual?? HaHaHa! You do need too get out more.

• 1 month later...

I like SS. I have shoot OPEN -- LIMTED -- L10 each for at least 3 or 4 years each and I have been shooting SS for about 4 years now and find I enjoy it. I don't shoot anything really well anymore but I do enjoy it.

Flexmoney sees our mission count for Crooked Creek Practical Pistol in NE Ohio and has asked why we have more SS mission count than the rest of Ohio combined. There are a few of us who like it and have shown the light to others. ( I realize that some of you may thing it is darkness but I don't care)

ed

I would venture to say he gets out more than most any of us do.

It's like doing a walk through when shooting revolver, other shooters will say "Oh man, this stage sucks for you."

I'll say.. "No, the reloading is what makes it fun." Same goes for single stack.

Limited looks boring to me and Open just looks stressful (with Limiteds boring thrown in)

It's ridiculous that we have to have 32-round squirt fests to force people to make one lousy reload.

I shot SS stack for the first year I shot USPSA up until about 2 months ago. Made it to 82%.

But the competition was slim around here for SS guys so I picked up a limited gun, but so far its been like single stack without all the fun reloads.

I shot CDP in IDPA a year before I got into USPSA as well and I honestly just got a little burnt out on SS and the fact that there wasn't a ton of competition locally.

I'm thinking of trying open for a while to see if that gets me back out there and excited about practicing like I want to.

Personally I am drawn to L10 and SS. I do have a natural affinity for the 1911, I carried one for 2 1/2 years while vacationing in Central America. But the main point that draws me is the necessity of actually having to hit your targets. Some high cap shooters tend to solve accuracy problems with volume - we've all heard the remarks after someone shoots 30+ round on a 24 round stage. When you are limited to 8 or 10 rounds you tend to plan your stages, aim more accurately and conserve ammunition. I also like shooting .45. Yes it is somewhat more expensive but not enough more than .40 or even major 9 to matter. (lets face it jacketed .45 are $116/1000, .40 are $110/1000 and 9mm are $88/1000 a $.03 savings over .45 - another way to look at it - if an Open shooter uses 6 more rounds than me on a 24 round stage we broke even) The .45 forces good grip and trigger control because it is realtively unforgiving especially on 2nd shots.

Granted it sucks to pick up 5 mags when your squad mates are picking up one and not too many people participate in the divisions AND there are additional rules for SS but it is a good place to learn the fndamentals of accuracy and gun handling plus there are tons of 1911s on the market. I agree with CocoBolo it's a heck of a lot of fun.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to USPSA and shoot my first match in Febuary of this year. All I've shot is SS. I love it. There are a good group of SS shooters in the PNW at there series match. I'll be shooting SS until I can afford the ammo anymore.

Edited by Victor R

Lot's of comments about liking to shoot not reload. If you're not reloading, you're not really doing practical shooting.

And if you're not shooting a .45, then why are you shooting at all. :sight:

Someone said "because it's the newest division". It's the ORIGINAL division. 1911s (euphemistically referred to as single stacks) were winning IPSC matches before you were born and they were winning bullseye matches before that and still are. :cheers:

;)

I'm with you there.... SS is THE gun to use when I started practical shooting as a teen in the early 90's. There literally was no other pistol to shoot at the time. In fact my Open gun before was a SS in 45ACP and Clark Pinmaster Comp and Bomar. Then cutting edge came in as the higher capacity ie: 10 Round 38 Super and 2 Port Compensator... OOOOOOOh.. Limited was the same pistol minus compensator and in 45.. Man o man, I was on point then on the reloads. Today, my 28 round 170mm big stick makes me lazy to reload..

I believe it's Just evolution and pistol style and models are just preferences and eventually your skill will be apparent regardless of what gear you are using. In fact at my club, we have the luxury of shooting with the USPSA president and he still kicks everyones ass with a SS. Goes back to "indian not the arrow"

If they allowed Sig P220's in Single Stack, you'd probably get more shooters..... The P220 is 8rd Single Stack, but its DA/SA, and they feel alot like a 1911.

I shoot production, I like that division. The next division I shoot in is going to be Single Stack.....

Only reason I suggest the P220 added to the list is its a fairly common "issue" weapon for County and City police. Both Adams Co, IN and Decatur, IN(County Seat in Adams Co) both issue P220's, with the rest of the Towns in Adams Co moving to adopt the P220 to simplify county costs.

Just a thought, as I would shoot single stack in a heart beat if P220's were allowed.

No, we really wouldn't see a significant increase in the number of shooters in SS if they allowed the P220. Sure, a couple of people might jump on board, but it's never been an incredibly popular gun (numbers wise) and just because a bunch of cops carry them in one area really means nothing. I've met thousands of agents carrying Glocks that would be perfect for Production and so far I've managed to get ONE to come out to matches. R,

I shoot some SS, and it's not about a special spiritual challenge, or the journey. Shooting SS well is about executing the fundamentals extremely well time and time again. It also limits the amount of stage gaming, so it really all comes down to how good of a shooter you are and how well you execute your plan. If someone shoots SS because it's a spiritual journey, rock on and have a blast. Just because that's not what it is for me, I'd politely (and you know I mean that) tell you to can the "keep shooting hi-caps" stuff....it's counter-productive thought and commentary that won't help promote the division or the sport :)

It's ridiculous that we have to have 32-round squirt fests to force people to make one lousy reload.

Isn't that just that many more chances for the better SS shooters to separate themselves from the less skilled SS shooters? Who cares how it impacts other divisions, you're not competing against them, and the best guys are going to rise to the top whether it's no reload, one reload or five reloads. At our last match I shot a solid classifier with my Open gun, put on my Production gun and one of the guys shooting Production said "oh, I'm gonna love watching this"....yeah, I would have won the stage in Production as well, even with a challenging thing like a reload in it <_< R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Isn't that just that many more chances for the better SS shooters to separate themselves from the less skilled SS shooters? Who cares how it impacts other divisions, you're not competing against them, and the best guys are going to rise to the top whether it's no reload, one reload or five reloads. At our last match I shot a solid classifier with my Open gun, put on my Production gun and one of the guys shooting Production said "oh, I'm gonna love watching this"....yeah, I would have won the stage in Production as well, even with a challenging thing like a reload in it <_< R,

I like 32 round stages shooting SS. Sure it allows the guys shooting Open and Limited to distance themselves from me in the over all and I probably won't get overall stage wins but I'm not shooting against them. It does however separate out the better single stack shooters. A lot to go wrong with 3 or more reloads. I've won Open division before shooting my 9mm Single Stack on the second run for fun but it doesn't happen to often, especially now that we have some pretty good open shooters shooting with us as well.

Its all fun and games until a SS wins HOA :ph34r::devil:

I like 32 round stages shooting SS. Sure it allows the guys shooting Open and Limited to distance themselves from me in the over all and I probably won't get overall stage wins but I'm not shooting against them. It does however separate out the better single stack shooters. A lot to go wrong with 3 or more reloads. I've won Open division before shooting my 9mm Single Stack on the second run for fun but it doesn't happen to often, especially now that we have some pretty good open shooters shooting with us as well.

I'm gonna have to 2nd the fun of a 32 rd stage shooting SS :sight: . While I cant quite beat the Open guys yet ( at least not the good ones, I do get some satisfaction of beat B and C level Limited shooters with my skinny gun :)

I started shooting SS at first because.... well, that's what I had. I am shoting OPEN now but will probably get another 1911 to shoot SS with pretty soon. I agree it's fun however I think it's AWESOME that my MD HAS to design a 32 COF just to make me reload now:)

Steve,

If you want to forece Limited and Open shooters to reload, throw in more steel at some distance. In the quest for speed the Open and Limited shooters will miss smaller steel, often repeatedly, and force the reload.

I suspect it would only take a 24 rnd course with a combination of something like a bianchi plate, star, and series of USPs or falling plates to elict some curses and maybe a standing reload.

We both know the M and GMs may not fall victim to this ploy. But A and under...

• 2 weeks later...

One of Z's working outings is others travels of a lifetime. B)

Do we have a crying/whining smiley? But, but, but...

1911s are not practical...

1911s are a 100 year old obsolete design...

Too much reloading...

Mags are too skinny...

Magwell is too little...

45 is too powerful...

Daddy didn't hug me...

Mommy didn't breastfeed me...

SSTK is not about shooting...

:yawn:

Man up!

One of Z's working outings is others travels of a lifetime. B)

Do we have a crying/whining smiley? But, but, but...

1911s are not practical...

1911s are a 100 year old obsolete design...

Too much reloading...

Mags are too skinny...

Magwell is too little...

45 is too powerful...

Daddy didn't hug me...

Mommy didn't breastfeed me...

SSTK is not about shooting...

Man up!

:roflol:

1 Estill, Corey A57351 M Single Stack Major N N N N 570.4976 100.00%

2 McGowan, Todd A42582 B Open Major N N N N 566.0454 99.22%

3 Bradley, Chuck TY25460 GM Limited Major N N N N 555.4756 97.37%

4 Pignato, Anthony TY55612 A Limited Major N N N N 542.5663 95.10%

5 Hopkins, Shaun A56938 A Production Minor N N N N 542.0936 95.02%

6 Foley, Mike TY47474 A Single Stack Major N N N N 514.1961 90.13%

7 Lyons, Alex A29454 B Open Major N N N N 513.9301 90.08%

8 Bradley, Ryan TY53759 M Open Major N N N N Junior 506.2651 88.74%

9 West, Barry FY37438 M Limited Major N N N N 494.1793 86.62%

10 Cottrell, John L2588 A Limited Major N N N N 490.6357 86.00%

11 Jasper, Harold A27892 B Production Minor N N N N 476.5139 83.53%

12 Brown, Greg TY57893 B Limited Major N N N N 459.9255 80.62%

13 Carroll, Kevin TY33759 M Limited Major N N N N 450.9072 79.04%

14 Tryon, Tom A60566 B Single Stack Major N N N N 446.5179 78.27%

15 Umansky, Steve TY56873 B Limited Major N N N N 428.2711 75.07%

and 32 others...

DOH! :devil:

Why is it you have so many more Open, Limited, and production shooter than you do SS or Limited 10. I shoot 1911, 45ACP.

As for as HOA match winner, why is there not a handy cap between the divisions. My goodness am I a whinner?

Why is it you have so many more Open, Limited, and production shooter than you do SS or Limited 10. I shoot 1911, 45ACP.

As for as HOA match winner, why is there not a handy cap between the divisions. My goodness am I a whinner?

We have more SS shooters than any other division that match. See the bottom that says, "and 32 others". Those scores are not official scores they are the combined scores which doesn't mean anything except for bragging rights. Divisions don't shoot against each other so there is no reason to have a handy cap, besides, I didn't need it. :devil: