Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How About Some Competition

jjustice

I shot the Area 6 last year where there were only 10 revolver shooters. I also shot the Area 3 (3 entries) and the Area 7 (7 entries) a total of 20 entries for 3 Area matches. I was really disappointed to travel all that way to the Areas 3 and 7 matches to find no competition. I see a lot of chatter about revolvers but few competitors. Revolver probably has the most level playing field of any division. So what is the problem? Timberlake and I are planning on attending the Area 6 in April, come on out and play.

Joe Justice

Someone asked why I didn't attend the Area 4, after air fare to Minneapolis, Boston, rental cars, hotels, entry fees, food, and bar tabs, I ran out of money. I wish I could have shot all of the Area matches but it just wasn't financially feasable. If possible, I and Tim plan on attending the Nationals. Last year fell on the Fourth Of July and that is a big do here in Southport, NC. If I had gone I think I would have had to find a home and job in Barry.

Joe Justice

Area 2 had 11 revolver shooters this past November and 401 shooters! That is the best turnout that I have ever competed in including 6 Nationals since 1996! Hopefully ths small division will grow again in USPSA with the advent of some favorable rules (.38 Super or Special or .38 Colt short can now be major) Real revo competitions are with ICORE and you have to go tho California or Arizona to find alot of good matches.

After shooting the AWARE match last year and being told by more than one RO that "Revolvers don't belong in IPSC" I began to rethink why I attend and shoot with a revolver.

My legs don't carry me fast enough to win (I ended up walking two stages at area 7 before trhe ice paks came out) I have made a decision to stop shooting major matches. I enjoy it too much to have these hot shots ruining my day with their disrespectful comments and condescending attitudes.

I probably wasn't much "Competition" but I paid my money for these matches like everyone else but when you are not made to feel welcome, you stop coming.

I see the revolver class a little different I guess. It will die not grow and that is not good for the sport.

Regards,

Gary

I gave up on revolver too. What was the point of competing locally and having no one but me to compete against. How does anyone move up to higher levels if they never have anyone to compete against? I suppose I could've stuck it out and fought against the autos, many of whom I could beat but is there really a point to that? I sure hate chasing brass though. I'm beginning to think the revolver class needs to go postal :-) I mean each club uses the same COF for revolver and posts Nationally so you can see how your doing against EVERYONE or atleast everyone in your area. With the current rules revolver will just die and to the detriment of IPSC but I don't know the answer for a solution. Just know I quit.

I like shooting revolver, but as said...there isn't any competition at local matches and thus no real entertainment value. And as the Air Farce Shooting Team's offiical position (as stated by their M-class (!) team captain) is that they ONLY care about Open...well, I gave up my treasured Limited gun for a dot-equiped blaster.

Alex

ICORE has a annual postal match and you can get the stage designs on their web site www.icore.org also the match results are posted. as far as not shooting your revo because there is no else shooting it is not good for our division. half the fun is rubbing it in the auto's nose because there's is no excuse to losing to a revo.

I enjoy it too much to have these hot shots ruining my day with their disrespectful comments and condescending attitudes.

I probably wasn't much "Competition" but I paid my money for these matches like everyone else but when you are not made to feel welcome, you stop coming.

People shouldn't say things like that, and it's unfortunate that you had those experiences.

Given that, why do you allow what other people say and do affect how you feel about shooting the big match? If you really love the shooting, just ignore them.

I can see you point a little better for club level matches, though, where the "social aspects" can be as important as the shooting for some people.

I think this year when I bring out the wheel gun and if there is no one else in Revo division, I'll sign up and compete in Limited 10 or Production with the 6-hole wonder. Just a thought.

Once you commit to that, I shall surreptitiously retrieve my own revolver from the truck and enter the match as the sole shooter in revolver division, thus capturing total victory!

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHA! icon_twisted.gif

Wakal,

- Its too bad I didn't try harder to shoot revo against you. It would have been fun to have you clean my clock in SA.

- I was thinking about the revo for Production too until I found out about the ammo position requirement and decided Production was out for revo. Not sure but I think they kept the ammo requirement for all but 2 of your reloads (behind the 3-9 line). I have to spend all my time trying to learn this bottom feeder stuff.

Blame it on James Bond!

Autos never got COOL until James Bond became famous. In the early 60's, wheelguns were the epitome of coolness. My dad was in Air Force Police and they were issued SW model 19's I recall. The most fun they had was walking up to MP's (Army guys who carried .45's) and saying:

"HA-HA! We got cowboy guns and you don't!"

The pendulum has swung the other way.......

Over here in Europe there's quite some competition in RSD. I think South America has a lot of revolver shooters too.

I don't understand why there are so few revolver shooters in the US. I mean, you guys have Nationals with Jerry M competing!!!! (I'd love to shoot against the best revolver shooter in the world)

Maybe the Courses of Fire in USPSA are to blame. From what I've seen on tape/DVD's etc, USPSA promotes more stages with a lot of those big ass targets ;) , close distances, etc. In IPSC we have classic turtle targets, often see (partial) targets past 25y and I think the avg. round count for a stage is about 14 rounds.

Given that, why do you allow what other people say and do affect how you feel about shooting the big match? If you really love the shooting, just ignore them.

I can see you point a little better for club level matches, though, where the "social aspects" can be as important as the shooting for some people.

Thanks Rhino, but when driving 6 hours to and another 6 hours back, paying over $500 for a weekend and then not being welcome, I know I won't make that drive again.

It is true, I enjoy shooting. There is a social aspect to this game that mkes the trips a type of vacation. As far as the local level, I take the ribbing there also but know where it comes from. The ones that usually talk the most are the flat sided bottom feeders that can not beat a revolver.

This year I will take some time off from revolver. I will shoot the area 7 in Harvard with a revolver but probably no others. That Harvard group is a great bunch and only a 2 hour drive.

Maybe I just need a change but I know I will always go back to the revolver. S&W IDPA Championships is next and I will shoot SSR there.

Regards,

I gave up on revolver too. What was the point of competing locally and having no one but me to compete against. How does anyone move up to higher levels if they never have anyone to compete against?

If you show up at any of the VA/MD Section matches you will have Rudi "The Man" Waldinger to compete against. Rudi always shoots Revo and has finished second to Jerry M. at the last two FGN. Rudi has won the overall at North Mountain Practical Shooters with his Open Revo before. So if you want to test yourself against one of the best then come on out with the wheelgun.

Unfortunately we will be losing Rudi to Area 4 in June or July for a couple of years.

Hey I think that would be fun to watch, but I'm not sure I would really call that competition. More like just getting my clock cleaned. Its still not really all that worthwhile. I actually have bought several guns now so I can try and find a club in Virginia to shoot at and compete in whatever Division has the most people competing in it. I want to have my clock cleaned by the good guys and have some guys I might someday catch and maybe even beat one guy too. But I will try and come out to see that guy.

- bountyhunter, the Air Force issued the S&W Model 15 "Combat Masterpiece" with very low velocity .38 special rounds, I believe (in my opinion only) that the shootout that occured at the Nellis gate in about the 1985 time frame instigated a desire for a better weapon and led to them following the Army and its Beretta 9mm. That I believe was kinda pushed on them too but they were ready for a change at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, first time writing in the forum, I am an avid revo shooter and shoot USPSA, steel,Icore and just about everything else with a revo. There have been many USPSA matches I have shot in Revo Div and been the only one there, when that happens i shoot for me and try to better my skills. I have shot L-10 with my 8 shooter and beat more than half that div. I have shot my8 shooter in open as well and been happy with the results. The best thing that happened to USPSA is the Revo Div. Stop making exuses for not shooting and just do it! Shoot it and they will come.

Joe Justice- this is for you, I don't know what kind of competition you have shot against, but I shot minor at Area 7 and you beat me by less than 3 points. If thats not cometition I don't know what is. See you at the Nats.

John Sardina

• 3 months later...

hey guys,

At the Alabama Section this last March there were 9 or 10 revolver shooters,

Cliff Walsh won the thing but he had Competition, 2nd had 91 % and 3rd had 89% (Thats Me)

I think the points Series will help a little but the fact of percentages is the bigger problem here. There are more Autos out there than Revolvers. My bet is there are more Tupper ware autos used than revolvers owned by competitive shooters.

I started shooting revolver with a Ruger gp 100 in IDPA, then got the 610, our club in Corinth, MS will have 5-10 revolvers at a montly match.

I also shoot a limited gun and shot it exclusively last year ,went from C-A class limited in 8 months so I thought I would "catch the Revolver up" now that the A class limited gets me to B revolver I will have to get the classifier percentage up to 60% or better. Personal goals and drive to beter oneself is one of my motivating factors.

Back in March I went to Memphis and shot the 610 at the Indoor Idpa match (70 shooters or so) I had not shot any IDPA in about 3 months and had not been practicing much at all, just enough to keep the rust off me and the gun

I ended up winning the revolver division and was 14 overall and I'm not that good with one of these things (yet?) the satisfaction to me was the fact of smoking a bunch of Autos in the hands of a few that know how to use them correctly helped a whole bunch.

There was a young lady there that shot revolver from either MO or Ar and she had not been shooting long but she was quite qood so with time and bullets down range we will have to watch our backs because she IS coming.

Revolvers are more Common in IDPA than USPSA because of the "revolver friendly" stage setup and the 18 round rule per stage i think but to me USPSA is more challenging from all aspects of the game, what we need to do as USPSA enthusiasts is to go to these IDPA matches shoot with them (because they are gun owners too) and get some of them converted to USPSA. I have managed to get 3 of the guys down here to do that so if there is a will there is a way.

I will see ya'll at Area 3,4,5 and the Nationals, and Sectionals around TN

see ya there :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Mostly we shoot IDPA with revolvers in NW Ark. We have quite a few good rev shooters in our area. And the young lady was from our club her name is Stephnie, and indeed she is quite talented...U cant afford to make mistakes with a revolver...maybe thats why shooters shy away? everythings limited count.... :rolleyes:

I'm getting ready to take my first foray into shooting the revo.....

Locally, we're a pretty small club, but we've got a lot of guys that shoot revolver,,,,,usually not on the same weekend though. We have more guys shooting revolver probably because we have two monthly matches,,,,

We have a Limited and Open match that we run monthly. And on a seperate weekend, we run a "factory gun" match that's for L10, Prod, and revo. We'll usually re-squad so guys can shoot other divisions. In the spring and fall when the weather is nice, we have a lot more revolver and Production shooters. Most of our guys prefer the semi autos/raceguns. We've tried to structure our match offerings to give folks the opportunity to get other guns out of the safe and play in divisions we don't normally shoot as much of.

I'm not looking at it so much as competition in revo,,,,but something different to try. I know a lot of folks out there are serious wheelgunners and as far as my attitude is concerned,,,,,if someone is really concerned about what I'm shooting,,,,that's their problem.

I'm a competitive person and want to see more variety,,,,but most guys seem to have a preference for high cap hosin'.

I'm looking forward to shooting some revo this year....

H4444

• 3 weeks later...

HDGUN: welcome to the forums :rolleyes:

You know every one is talking about no competition, there is an On-Line match on this forum and where are ya'll?

I know we can't all set up the stages as some of us don't have access to all the props and gear that may be required but surely some of ya'll can.

Area -4 this year did not have but 5 revolver shooters, Jerry M was planning on shooting but had to go out of town that weekend so was not there.

IMHO if a person wants to see how well he/she is doing why not try and shoot with the best that is available (Jerry M.) to see how they are doing?

Cliff Walsh, Richard Timberlake ( I think) and Myself are going to A-3, and have asked Arnie to squad revolvers together, ya'll come on over and let's all have a big time in MO. :P

Cliff spanked me pretty good in Al last march and I thought I had a decent match except for two stages so I am looking forward to actually shooting with him and learning some of the "tricks of the trade"

Don't give up on the revolver, it tamed this land and will always be a classic. :)

HOPALONG