Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I know the Shooting USA TV crew was there last year and I thought they said it would air sometime in March. Did I miss it? If not does anyone know if it will air this year?

Edited by mwx40x40

I've got Shooting USA DVR'd every week and I haven't seen it. I'm pretty sure the 2009 match hasn't aired yet, also it is not on the episode list on their website here http://www.shootingusa.com/SHOOTING_USA_SHOWS/shooting_usa_shows.html

The 2009 USPSA Multigun Nationals was shot in November and aired in April. Fort Benning was the month after that so hopefully it is coming up soon.

Shooting USA has a forum over at http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=141 that Jim seems to check almost daily if you want to ask.

I blush!

Seriously I think that the squads would be better if the Super Squad didn't exist. Yes they might have to have a couple more cameras, but to be honest, only a couple stages really allow for video. So as the stars come through video them, but also a fir number of we also-rans would be nice and I think good for the viewership.

I as many of us here do, know or have at least met and talked to a number of the big names. The audience at home likes to see them, but many of the people viewing at home know one of us mere mortals and getting to see someone you know on TV is a good thing too. I think it might be a better recruitment tool to see Charles, James, Bob and a few others then to only follow the Names around. This is not and likely will never be NASCAR, we are not looking for 'Fans' that sit home or buy tickets to watch a match, we are looking for people that will actually come out and join in. To this end I think that the 'Normal' people might just be a better draw.

Jim S: We just watched Public Accountant John Smith smoke through that stage. John, how'd it feel?

Jim S: We're here today with Team OFoA (Old Farts of America) This group travels to a lot of the matches you see here on Shooting USA. Tell me, what do you do when you're not competing?

Team OFoA Member: Well I work for a (Insert company name or trade, preferably NOT firearms related here)We set up a couple matches a month at our home clubs and travel to a few nearby matches.

I'll not drift this any further, but I think you all might get my idea. Maybe Shooting USA will?

Jim (had my 37.5 seconds of fame) Norman

I mentioned that very thing to Jim Scoutten on the Shooting USA forum at AR15.com. He said it would be like interrupting coverage of a NFL game for high school football.

I personally like watching Youtube videos of guys like us more than the pros. I just get depressed when I see Daniel Horner or Bruce run a stage in 1/2 my time. :roflol:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=141&t=1024704

I blush!

Seriously I think that the squads would be better if the Super Squad didn't exist. Yes they might have to have a couple more cameras, but to be honest, only a couple stages really allow for video. So as the stars come through video them, but also a fir number of we also-rans would be nice and I think good for the viewership.

I as many of us here do, know or have at least met and talked to a number of the big names. The audience at home likes to see them, but many of the people viewing at home know one of us mere mortals and getting to see someone you know on TV is a good thing too. I think it might be a better recruitment tool to see Charles, James, Bob and a few others then to only follow the Names around. This is not and likely will never be NASCAR, we are not looking for 'Fans' that sit home or buy tickets to watch a match, we are looking for people that will actually come out and join in. To this end I think that the 'Normal' people might just be a better draw.

Jim S: We just watched Public Accountant John Smith smoke through that stage. John, how'd it feel?

Jim S: We're here today with Team OFoA (Old Farts of America) This group travels to a lot of the matches you see here on Shooting USA. Tell me, what do you do when you're not competing?

Team OFoA Member: Well I work for a (Insert company name or trade, preferably NOT firearms related here)We set up a couple matches a month at our home clubs and travel to a few nearby matches.

I'll not drift this any further, but I think you all might get my idea. Maybe Shooting USA will?

Jim you have hit the nail on the head and hard. Shooting USA is very wrong in what appeals to the average shooter or member of its audience. The viewers like to see shooters that represent the viewing audience just like they had rather watch Jim's son do some basic gunsmithing as opposed to watching an impossible shot.

Shooting Gallery several years ago came and filmed the Area 6 match. There were some appearances of the "greats" but they spent far more time talking with our not ready for prime time crowd. This video is a far more effective recruiting tool than any other produced to date.

Of course Jim that is not to say that you are normal..................... :devil:

I blush!

I have 3 points to make here, and I will start with the idea of "super" squads.

Super squads: I do not create super squads when I squad a match. I simply honor requests. Why does it surprise anyone that Kurt Miller, Trapr, Jeff Cramblit and Kelly Neal want to shoot together? They are friends as well as top competitors. Bruce Piatt and Tony Holmes want to shoot together and shoot with other members of 'Team DPMS.' So, it is okay to honor the requests of Team Old Farts of America, but I should split up the top shooters. Does that make sense to anyone? Whether their requests are based upon friendship, or an interest in keeping an eye on the competition, I always honor the requests of the top guys, just as I honor those of every single shooter in the match.

Camera coverage of the top guys: We need to realize that there are 2 major components of the audience for shooting programs. Jim Scouten knows his business. You are looking at a very limited market of people who already shoot the sport. His program (like others) is focused on recreational shooters nationwide. Turn it around, and think how long you would watch a shooting show about Cowboy Action if the shooter featured took six shots to hit a piece of steel. How fast would you turn away from a Sporting Clays show that followed shooters who missed 50 percent of the birds? After every single airing and re-run of one of the FB3G shows, my email inbox is packed with shooters I have never heard from, asking "how do I get into this match?" Does anyone think all 800+ shooters who participated in the sign-up for FB3G heard about the match because of word of mouth? Youtube videos? It is not Jim Scouten's job to recruit for our sport. What he does is effective.

Camera coverage or video of the average shooters: This is actually about promotion of our sport, and attracting new shooters. I wholeheartedly agree that we really need this, but not necessarily on mainstream or cable television. At the recent NRA annual meeting I spent some time at the USPSA booth. The video featured was top shooters at the nationals. Many stopped to watch, but usually commented that "I could never do that." The folks in the booth had to frequently tell potential members that few of us shoot like the top guys. For marketing the sport to potential new members, we need a mixture of the type of glossy professionally produced video of the best shooters, and standard video of the type found on Youtube which features the average guy at the local match. Just showing the top shooters does not get the guys to your local match.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Edited by LChico

I asked for a video to be made of the 2009 HPSC and I specifically requested that ALL participants be featured in the video, from what I understand the request was honored, sadly the video has not been made available as of yet. I am hopeful that when it is finalized that the participants will enjoy seeing themselves featured in the video. However I'm not concerned with marketing or advertising and that is what pushes dollars.

trapr

Back to the original question, no it has not aired yet. John gave me a 30 sec. interview after the shotgun stage about my Saiga and open shotguns, and I'm waiting to see it.

Back to the original question, no it has not aired yet. John gave me a 30 sec. interview after the shotgun stage about my Saiga and open shotguns, and I'm waiting to see it.

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for ;)

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure that the old train of thought "watching the big guns" on prime time holds true anymore. New trends with reality TV have changed the way people view the average person. It's funny to watch the cameramen on Shooting USA give it a go! When I watch the "big guns" there is a level of expectation that they will perform at or near perfection so it's not like sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for goof up. On the other hand, when the cameramen miss a reload...that's good stuff and entertaining.

This is a general statement, not specifically about shooting USA. If all people see on TV is the top shooters, they are intimidated out of participating themselves. I can't tell you all how many times people have told me "I'll never be that good"...my response "who cares, go have fun and better yourself".

I'm not sure that the old train of thought "watching the big guns" on prime time holds true anymore. New trends with reality TV have changed the way people view the average person.

I actually think a good show would be one showing some average shooters training up for a big national match; starting with their practice sessions, some local matches, then show the big event. Showing people how you get to that point would be interesting for the average gun owner I think.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

I'm not sure that the old train of thought "watching the big guns" on prime time holds true anymore. New trends with reality TV have changed the way people view the average person. It's funny to watch the cameramen on Shooting USA give it a go! When I watch the "big guns" there is a level of expectation that they will perform at or near perfection so it's not like sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for goof up. On the other hand, when the cameramen miss a reload...that's good stuff and entertaining.

Bingo.

To add to the above thoughts:

If "everyday Joe" sees a whole bunch of people, of every shape / size / gender / ethnicity out there shooting at these matches, don't you think that they would be much more likely to go? They would think "Looks like fun" as opposed to "I could never do that".

If "everyday Joe" sees a whole bunch of people, of every shape / size / gender / ethnicity out there shooting at these matches, don't you think that they would be much more likely to go? They would think "Looks like fun" as opposed to "I could never do that".

I think a better start would be getting more visibility for the sport.

I've heard from a lot of average people at my school who've seen and enjoy Top Shot on the History channel but unfortunately, that's not USPSA oriented and it's hardly relevant to competition shooting. At least it shows things in a positive light.

Hopefully 3-Gun Nation will address the issue of visibility since more non-shooters watch Versus than OLN.

In the meantime, what we can do is recruit "people, of every shape / size / gender / ethnicity." Everyone with a USPSA membership should be able to create at least one new member.

Edited by DyNo!

EXACTLY!! Some other excellent points on this subject were also made by others. As previously mentioned hopefully 3 Gun Nation on Versus will be able to strike a balance between the Pro's and the Average Joe. Looking at their most recent videos on their Youtube channel (LINK) it looks like they may be striking just the right balance. The camera work and interviewing looks top notch. The editing style is pretty interesting with the dual screens interview on one side and action on the other. It throws a lot at you in a short amount of time. Sadly I think we are stuck with that hideous choice of a sountrack for this year. :sick: I'm interested to see how Shooting USA does FB3G. They typically do an excellent job of capturing all aspects of the big matches including the main storylines, overall action, any pivotal turns, and always throw in enough average face time of the regular shooters so as to pique a persons interest rather than intimidate them away from the sport. They set a high standard and have an excellent formula for good TV. 3 Gun Nation should definitely take a few pages from Shooting USA's editing playbook rather than the one they were using for some of their early promo vids trying to "show" or "build" excitement with super fast cuts and high intensity soundtracks. :wacko:

I did check Versus TV schedule for July, but it was mostly Tour de France with no listings for 3 Gun Nation. According to the 3 Gun Nation website it was supposed to start airing in July on Monday (7:30am) and Thur (3pm). Anybody know anything?

I believe the first episode of 3GN is on July 26.

I've been looking to see when this starts and was appalled when I saw the schedule:

"Mondays at 7:30 AM EST, Thursdays at 3 PM EST"

Apparently, the folks in programming aren't taking this at all serious.

I believe the first episode of 3GN is on July 26.

I've been looking to see when this starts and was appalled when I saw the schedule:

"Mondays at 7:30 AM EST, Thursdays at 3 PM EST"

Apparently, the folks in programming aren't taking this at all serious.

Ugh...