Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 - your favorite powder for 55 gr?

walsh

I've got six different powders here to try and so far have tried AA2230 and H335 with H335 possibly having a small margin. I know that I need to spend many a day at the range with each rifle and probably buy that RCBS device that will give me the optimal OAL. I'm using the Redding Type-S Match seating and sizing dies.

I have a 16" Bushmaster Gas Piston AR that I usually shoot suppressed and a good deal of LC brass as well as about 8,000 pieces of various brass from a carbine class where no one else reloaded and I got it all. But I thought I'd stick with the 5.56 brass as long as I can. I shoot about 500-700 rds a month at 100 and 200 yds and I'm reloading on a Rock Chucker. Work allows me the time to resize and deprime and hand prime with the RCBS hand primer. I drop powder with the RCBS precision powder dispenser that is within 00.05 grain from dropping 10 rds worth of powder into the tray and having it be exactly the desired setting x10. I check every 10 rds and inspect levels in a loading tray.

Anyone have a favorite powder for a Hornady 55gr HPBT w/c?

Thanks in advance,

Walsh

Thank you for all the replies. They raised another question.

Is it always important, as in down to perhaps 2/10th of a grain, to get the right speed your rifle might like? Could 2900 fps vs 3000 fps show a world of difference, or only a minor variation?

Suggestions on a good, reliable, "doesn't break the bank", chron for use with rifle and handguns appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Walsh

For the light weight stuff I like H335...23.1gr with the 55gr pill.

For the 69gr+ I like either TAC or RL-15.

If you're talking about using the RCBS tool to get the length of the bullets touching the lands, I highly doubt you will ever be able to do that with a 55gr and a factory throat. In my service rifle my 77s that run through the mag won't touch, it takes the 80s loaded waaayyy out there to touch the lands.

• 1 month later...

Silly question I know, but what are you shooting for a rifle. Do you have an off the shelf 16" carbine or an accurized AR or a bolt action. If it's the former, then you will get about equal accuracy regardless of how much you do to fine tune your load.

Silly question I know, but what are you shooting for a rifle. Do you have an off the shelf 16" carbine or an accurized AR or a bolt action. If it's the former, then you will get about equal accuracy regardless of how much you do to fine tune your load.

BM Gas Piston 16" with Geisselle trigger.

I am finding definite significant differences in loads and really big difference with SMK 69 grain bullets.

I'm still learning my way around AR loading, but here's what little I think I know. The SMK 69's are going to be a bit different for a few reasons.

They need a fairly fast twist to stabilize (1:7 or 1:8 preferred) and will run better with a 18" or longer barrel.

The volume required for some powders can result in a compressed load. This can be good but the OAL is more critical.

If you are going to be shooting 200 yds and under, you may find that the 55's will work as well as the 69's for less money.

You might want to look at 62 gr bullets as well. I have been told, but cannot confirm, that this bullet with AA2230 works extremely well from a 16" barrel with a 1:9 or faster twist.

If any of this is really dumb, please excuse me because I'm finding that there's a ton of different variables in loading for an AR.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting good results with BL-C2 and about equally good with H335. Both meter great with very small variation, if any, with each throw. As for the 55gr Hornady, they shoot well out of my barrel except I load FMJBT.

By the way, I'm getting thin on WW sr so started loading Wolf sr. I was hesitant to buy them but finding that they work well. A little harder cup so seating takes a tiny bit more effort. Initially, seating with the same pressure I used with WW so had a few that did not seat fully and had a couple of misfire. I now use a bit more pressure and no more misfires...and they give me as good results as WW. Will probably buy more WW if/when they become available but not as worried any longer. Now if I could just find some sp primers...

Edited by kamikaze1a

+1 for aa2230. it was the first powder I used for reloading .223, and it worked well enough for me that I never found the need (i.e. i was too lazy) to try anything else. i use 24 gr with mixed headstamp brass and hornady 55gr fmj, get around 2900 fps and decent accuracy (around 1") from my S&W VTAC ar. other loads may be more accurate, but the furthest out I can shoot (without driving a long ways out) is 100 yards, so this load has been good for me.

I like 2460 for my loads. 25gr with my Hornady 55gr get me a very accurate load at 3080fps from a 20" 1-8". I also use 2460 with my 55gr NBT long range load and will hold sub minute all day long. Nice powder, relatively cheap. Thinking of trying 8208 xbr next. Seems to be a lot of buzz about it lately. Good in any temperature.

M

A 1:9 will stabilize 69smk. Generally anything that can load to mag length can be shot out of a 1:9.

Jeff

jeff - have you used a 75 gr horn (amax or their BTHP) or the 77 gr smk in your 1:9 barrel? I have not used either, but have heard from others that I might have problems with rounds of that weight (i.e. projectiles of that length) out of anything slower than 1:8, keen to hear your experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Loaded thousands of 55gr FMJBT Hornadys w/cannelure. Best groups were with H-335 or W748 (same powder). I tried BL-C2, but didn't do much better with it. I shot these in my Wilson M4 Custom Combat AR-15, and groups hung around 1.5" @ 100 yds.

The Wilson had a fast twist bbl, and really preferred the 69SMK's over Varget (3/4" groups).

I had a Rock River Varmint 24" with the 1:8 bbl (Wilson) that put 55-grainers under an inch, and 69 SMK's under 1/2". It was not very picky about what it shot.