Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec Extractors vs. Standard?

Rangertim

I just broke the factory extractor on my SVI and was looking at replacements. A factory SVI runs $76, wich is almost the exact same cost as the Aftec Extractors. I was curious if the Aftec really makes a big difference and the pros and cons of going with it vs. factory since they are essentially the same price. Thanks!

I just broke the factory extractor on my SVI and was looking at replacements. A factory SVI runs $76, wich is almost the exact same cost as the Aftec Extractors. I was curious if the Aftec really makes a big difference and the pros and cons of going with it vs. factory since they are essentially the same price. Thanks!

They are nice, but I run Ed Brown extractors in my guns. I also keep a fitted one as a backup in my bag. I do have an AFTEC in an open gun that has not had a problem in 5,000 rds.

Good to hear they at least run well. I guess I need to know how important it is to use a factory SVI extractor. I would think that as long as I use a .40S&W specific extractor I should be alright.

In my experience the factory parts don't seem to last as long as others. I have tried most brands and settled on Ed Brown. The guns do not require STI or SV parts to run. I have had a few s_i guns and made a pile of parts that got changed right away.

Hello: The first thing I would do is try to figure out what broke your extractor? I have used an Aftec extractor and Caspian, Ed Brown and others. They all had to be tuned to work correctly. I would pick one and have a fitted spare backup. Thanks, Eric

I just broke the factory extractor on my SVI and was looking at replacements. A factory SVI runs $76, wich is almost the exact same cost as the Aftec Extractors. I was curious if the Aftec really makes a big difference They have for me and the pros and cons of going with it vs. factory since they are essentially the same price. Thanks!

I haven't seen any cons at all. The one gun I had that suddenly had the extractor go south got an AFTEC and it cured the problem permanently. You normally don't have to tune an AFTEC at all. You make a very minor tweak to the firing pin stop (so the AFTEC and rotate) and check that the nose isn't hitting the barrel. That's usually all it takes. Sometimes you'll have to try running just one spring instead of two, but that hasn't been the case in the five guns I'm running them in. R,

I put one in my limited gun, and had to do some minor tweaking by compressing one ofthetwo springs, and its run like the proverboal scalded dog ever since, only have pulled it out once in a couple yrs to see how things were, clean outthe tunnel etc...kind of a three handed operation gettin it back in, and work over somthing preferably like a white/light colored towel hehehe them springs are SMALL

I have 3 open guns with AFTEC's they just run and run. Other open shooters I know are at the safe table bending their extractors. Yet I still see them flailing the slide racker. Both my Limited guns run standard STI and SVI extractors but they just run and run, limited guns seem a little less contankerous so maybe you don't need a AFTEC but they are very good. I'm not excited about the price its the ten cent bullets that get me fired up.

only have pulled it out once in a couple yrs to see how things were, clean outthe tunnel etc...kind of a three handed operation gettin it back in, and work over somthing preferably like a white/light colored towel hehehe them springs are SMALL

There's a trick to it. Place the slide flat on your bench, extractor side down. Start the AFTEC into the tunnel with the cap on top (i.e. 180* from how it's normally installed). Push down on the cap with a screw driver or wide punch while pushing in on the AFTEC. Once it starts you can rotate it 180* and push it fully into place...easy and no springs or caps flying around. :)

Had excellent results with Aftec extractors in my Trojan 9mm, Open 38 super and a 40 limited pistol I bought used that came with an aftec installed. Follow the fitting tips advised from the other forum members and they flat run.

After the stock extractor in my tuned Edge started to give me problems after less than 5k rounds, I replaced it with an AFTEC. The gun has run perfectly since. The hardest part about the install was fitting a new firing pin stop; which actually wasn't necessary as it worked with the stock FP stop without any mods done at all (stock FP stop is a spare now). AFTEC's are in lots of high dollar guns for a reason. I'll never use anything else in a 1911 type gun; AFTEC's are worth every penny.

i like the aftec as well no more bending..i just change the springs every 2 cases of bullets i use... :cheers:

I just changed the springs in my two Open gun AFTECs, 11.5K (keeping an exact round count) on one and roughly 15K on the other. Didn't seem to change anything, but it's cheap insurance. Unless my practice goes way up I'm probably just going to switch to once a year from here on out. R,

Took the STI extractor out of my STI and installed an Aftec that had been in my old Para-Open gun. Extraction problems are gone. I used to jamb all the time. For what it is worth, the Aftec in the Para was there when I bought the gun, (very used) and got quite a few thousand more rounds oin it before I moved it.

On the other hand, I have an EGW extractor in my Para .40 Limited gun and it is on barrel number two. I have a ready to go tuned extractor in my bag, but so far with near 100k rounds, it is still extracting.

i like the aftec as well no more bending..i just change the springs every 2 cases of bullets i use... :cheers:

I just changed the springs in my two Open gun AFTECs, 11.5K (keeping an exact round count) on one and roughly 15K on the other. Didn't seem to change anything, but it's cheap insurance. Unless my practice goes way up I'm probably just going to switch to once a year from here on out. R,

Yep its just cheap insurance... i guess i could go for more rounds before i change but it does not cost me anything to change them...