Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need to resize new brass?

Marv Z

I have always resized my new brass just like used brass. Is this required? I'd much rather not the first time if I don't need to. I'm using new starline brass in 40 S&W and would like to get maximum life out of it. I ran a search, but didn't come up with anything. Thanks!!!

I would suggest that you do size the brass. I have seen in the past someone load 38 Super Comp that would not hold the bullet.

The new brass was just enough over sized to give him the occasional brass that wouldn't hold the bullet, the bullet would turn in the case.

Lube the cases, I doubt that it would cause any more wear.

I have always resized my new brass just like used brass. Is this required? I'd much rather not the first time if I don't need to. I'm using new starline brass in 40 S&W and would like to get maximum life out of it. I ran a search, but didn't come up with anything. Thanks!!!

+1 on the SA Trophy Match 45 ACP! :D Never had any problems with mine.

I learned from the self proclaimed worlds worst reloader :goof:! So, I will just read all the posts regarding your question and try to learn something myself.

I would size it as well. Too much chance of some cases being out of round and maybe not consistent. But then I load on a progressive press so it wouldn't be any extra effort anyway!

Mike

Edited by Croomrider

I would size also.

if they are sized, you wont add any wear.

if there not, you just fixed a problem.

you have to prime them any way, and its nice to know your depriming pin went through.

for me, its size, new or old, doesnt matter, big thingfor me, is the change of routine on the ol 550b...past that, yeah, ive seen out of round brass, ive seen new brass that didnt hold crimp, and again its a chance to look it over, i still have a piece of new remmy 38 super brass that has no RIM!!!! and have had more than a couple that had no flash holes, so resizing is sort of a pre inspection process for me

I treat new brass the same as old brass. Inspect, light spray of Dillon Lube, and into the hopper of my 650XL. I have found bad cases many times over the years in new brass. :cheers:

I would size new brass also. Believe it or not I found a round without a flash hole! Just one but that is all it takes to ruin a day! I have also seen it mentioned that some shooters deburr the inside and outside of the case mouth on new pistol brass.

FWIW

Richard

+1 to the above posts. every mfg i've bought at least a few case mouths were out of round and were in certain need of a resize. i like many others here load on a 550 and it's become a very mechanical process. trying to bypass the first station would throw my loading technique to the wind which for me would be more confusing than it's worth.

• 2 months later...

When you run new pistol brass on a progressive loader you will likely notice the cases stick on the expander. It's normal, and if you find it to be a problem, tumbling the new brass in used media for a short time will reduce the effect.

The expander will also make the case mouth round guys ;)

I resize new brass mostly because it's easier to run the press that way. I've actually seen a big name GM say that you absolutely should not resize new brass....I'm trying to find it now. R,

Ill admit I have let several pieces of brass run threw my machine, I recently a piece of brass missing the flash hole and I can see that the defective brass put a slight bend on my deprimer cap pin! No biggie I rather resize and have a sense of comfort that all is well with the brass! The brass can be chucked new or used if there is a defect in the brass! For me I personally feel why shoul I chance it... That's just my opinion!

Ill admit I have let several pieces of brass run threw my machine, I recently a piece of brass missing the flash hole and I can see that the defective brass put a slight bend on my deprimer cap pin! No biggie I rather resize and have a sense of comfort that all is well with the brass! The brass can be chucked new or used if there is a defect in the brass! For me I personally feel why shoul I chance it... That's just my opinion!

Markaveli, haven't you learned anything yet? Even if you don't re-size new brass, you still inspect it before loading...Sheesh! :rolleyes:

:roflol:

Markaveli, haven't you learned anything yet? Even if you don't re-size new brass, you still inspect it before loading...Sheesh! :rolleyes:

:roflol:

Well well well! The eye a cola of Grump ollah! Lol.. How's it going! Well I did learn! The hard way!! I "NOW" check flash holes and still size encase! But I still let a few slide through!!!