Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

I want my draw at 8-10 yards on an 8" plate to be like a true GM's. I'm guessing these guys can go down in the .6-.7 range almost right out of the holster, no warm ups. I can't do this, I can't even get to the .7's warmed up unless I get lucky.

Yeah. It is pretty important to be hitting the .6 draw to a plate.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff, my gun is about 3 o'clock. No, I don't sweep that I know of.

My goals this summer all involve TRANSITIONS, dot acquisition, better movement, and and and, stand and shoots. I have never really practiced too much just standing and shooting arrays.

Luckily for me I have a plate machine and I know my draw times, while not stellar, they ain't too shabby. I want my draw at 8-10 yards on an 8" plate to be like a true GM's. I'm guessing these guys can go down in the .6-.7 range almost right out of the holster, no warm ups. I can't do this, I can't even get to the .7's warmed up unless I get lucky.

<-- jealous. I've not had much opportunity to practice on a plate rack. when can I come down and play on your range?! ;)

-rvb

Brother, you can come anytime you like. Mi range, su range.

I want my draw at 8-10 yards on an 8" plate to be like a true GM's. I'm guessing these guys can go down in the .6-.7 range almost right out of the holster, no warm ups. I can't do this, I can't even get to the .7's warmed up unless I get lucky.

Yeah. It is pretty important to be hitting the .6 draw to a plate.

I'm so glad a National Champion visits my range report. Especially Mr. Stoeger, as I am currently reading his third book and plan to review it here in my range report at some point.

So far I've read just past a section written by Chris Bartolo. Chris gives a very good analysis of pre ignition push and blinking/flinching. Very good and informative, plus some tips and drills he uses to get shooters over some of these types of obstacles.

I will probably review the book in sections and spread it out over several posts. A couple good nuggets come to mind right off. Things we all know, but somehow, Ben drives home. Here are 2 such items that really spoke to me because I've been thinking a lot about them....

Ben talks about reacting to a buzzer and hitting a target in about a second. This seems like a skill I've been thinking about, hmmmmm.

He also talks about 10,000 repetitions for a gain in match score being worth it to some shooters.

I think you got to know what you want and decide what it's worth to you as a shooter, I'm happy Ben agrees.

I find this very refreshing, it all comes down to the particular shooter and what they want.

So far, I like the book............

Edited by Chris iliff

Ben talks about reacting to a buzzer and hitting a target in about a second. This seems like a skill I've been thinking about, hmmmmm.

He also talks about 10,000 repetitions for a gain in match score being worth it to some shooters.

I think you got to know what you want and decide what it's worth to you as a shooter, I'm happy Ben agrees.

I find this very refreshing, it all comes down to the particular shooter and what they want.

So far, I like the book............

Hey man, I am here to help.

Shot Oxford, rust rust rust.

First match since October and I went penalty free and ended 3rd overall behind Chris Keen(GM) and Bill Seevers (M), both Open shooters.

This match is a different flavor from what I'm use to here in Indiana. I've been twice and both times it's been a test of SH/WH shooting skills and kinda a stand and shoot match with just enough movement to be fun and challenging. I like the match a lot.

Bill Seevers squeaked into 2nd place with just a .885 match point lead over me. Bill is an outstanding shooter and has been a mentor to many good shooters over the years. Chris Keen beat us both by 13% or so.

I felt calm on each stage and I'm ready to get this season started. I know some things I need to work on and it showed in this match.

One thing happened on our first stage and it is a glaring error that has "trapped" me before. I stood and shot instead of moving. I allowed myself to get pinned in my position. If I would have picked one wide transition, about a 180, I could have been moving so much sooner. This was evident when Sensei (Keen) shot. He was 3 seconds ahead of me and had moved to the middle of the stage before I had even started moving. Duh duh duh.

I have also worked on keeping my eyes up and letting my peripheral vision guide me. This caused a delay of a second or so moving to the first position on a stage. I hesitated, thinking my foot was faulted, easily a second and easily fixed.

All fun stuff!

Good match Oxford!!!

Ben Stoeger's Practical Pistol book: review continued.........

Well it is a very easy read, chock full of good information for shooters of all ability.

Right now I just finished a part wrote by Dave Sevigny on entries/exits. I got to say, this is some good stuff. For newer shooters, this section is imperative IMHO. As an A class open guy, I learned a lot also. Sometimes, even though we might know something, hearing it many times in different ways is crucial. Dave does this for me in this section. I've heard it before, tried to practice it, not sure if I'm doing it, and now I feel like I can get something from what Dave is saying. Dave is the man though, so there you go.

Good stuff.

More on the book later......

I finished the Stoeger book.

Ok, my honest opinion is it fills a nitch that I have always felt was missing. It is written well, and all the pertinent info is there. At this point in my shooting I didn't find a lot of nuggets of gold but that's relative. A newer shooter is going to get TONS of pertinent info.

It is well worth the money. I feel like I didn't waste my money.

It's not all zen'd out and that's a good thing IMHO. It's very straight forward and practical. Apropos !!

The negatives:

Ben needs to get a different "hand model". Whoever he hired to hold the pistol in some shots has a horrible inner emotional problem. That guy is chewing his fingernails down to the nub. It's kinda gross. Hey, I'm a tobacco chewing and spitting coon ass with anxiety issues all my own. I know what I'm talking about here. I don't mean to be knocking the guy, but self cannibalism, C'mon dude, get a grip! Pun intended.

So, with that one glaring flaw, the book is going to get a 4.5 out of 5 stars from me. I'm sure Ben will take this advice and thoroughly vet the next "hand model" he hires for his next book.

After holding and gripping CB45's gun I added skate tape to mine. It feels good and more secure in my hands. I haven't done any dry or live fire with it yet, so we will see.

Nice thing is that it is not permanent. I'll know more after I dry and live fire with it.

Got some good dry fire in last night before the skate tape add. Things felt good. Now that the season is here, I'll be getting the gun in the hand fairly regular. It does surprise me how quickly things come back. I did a bunch of gun type manipulations last night, reload to WH, 2 reload 2, draws, etc..

I'll do more tonight with the skate tape addition it'll be interesting.

FFCE37E1-1203-4946-A268-75B784C50C91-3624-00000446C314D46D.jpg

Listened to Steve Anderson's April 11th podcast "Jumping the Gap". Good stuff. I'm not a DRYFIRE guru. Dryfire is scary powerful. But, you got to know some stuff first, to get the most out of it. You want all the info you can get. Steve is that guy, hands down, he wrote the books on this valuable training tool. Now go listen!

Edited by Chris iliff

I like the stippling I've felt. Just wasn't sure I wanted it. You don't have to bring yours, but thanks for asking.

Well, you could bring it if its an Open gun and we could go 5 dollars on each stage then another 5 for HOA.

Or, forget all that and just shoot our Open guns on the same squad together.

I haven't shot my open gun in over 3 yrs! Probably some nice dust bunnies clogging the bore (hmmm I should pull the battery to avoid corrosion).... Ya know, if the IN Prod/SS match wasn't the following weekend, and FW wasn't my first match of the seaon, I might dust it off.

We can do the wager and I'll shoot production... hmmm.. maybe spot me 5%. :laugh:

-rvb

Ups and downs. Shot ACC and it was the wrong mindset. I was doing to much and did not shoot my game. I don't know what the results are as they haven't posted yet.

When I say too much, I mean I was letting it hang out a little. I tried too much stuff as far as moving quicker and shooting while moving at distances I was not accustomed too. Frankly, it was a good experience.

The stages were very good, it's nice to see clubs take advantage of their bays. Space those targets out and use up all available distance.

I haven't shot my open gun in over 3 yrs! Probably some nice dust bunnies clogging the bore (hmmm I should pull the battery to avoid corrosion).... Ya know, if the IN Prod/SS match wasn't the following weekend, and FW wasn't my first match of the seaon, I might dust it off.

We can do the wager and I'll shoot production... hmmm.. maybe spot me 5%. :laugh:

-rvb

I ain't spotting YOU nothing. Bring the open gun in May. Lol

Looks like 3rd overall at ACC and I don't even deserve that. The match was a crap fest for me. I learned some stuff about focus and that's about all. Hey, pretty sure I was the fastest guy there!! Whip d big shit. I'm so over that.

Ok here is some big news. I woke up the other morning and decided to stop chewing. It's tuff and I'm exactly 48 hrs with no chew. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this, I simply don't know. I'm playing it hour by hour. Yesterday and today was a nightmare,.... Complete fog of existence. Can not focus on anything and my mind keeps turning corners, weird. As of right now, I'm pissed that anything could get ahold of me this much, so, I know I'm going 3 days for sure. 3 days is what I've read on how long it takes for all the nicotine to leave your body.

As I stated, I'm not sure where this is heading. I find this process of quitting pure torture and then I get pissed for allowing something this level of control. Suffice to say I definitely need a break from chewing. We will see what happens. I have been reading some on quitting for just the hour in front of you. I like that. It's working.

Looks like 3rd overall at ACC and I don't even deserve that. The match was a crap fest for me. I learned some stuff about focus and that's about all. Hey, pretty sure I was the fastest guy there!! Whip d big shit. I'm so over that.

Ok here is some big news. I woke up the other morning and decided to stop chewing. It's tuff and I'm exactly 48 hrs with no chew. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this, I simply don't know. I'm playing it hour by hour. Yesterday and today was a nightmare,.... Complete fog of existence. Can not focus on anything and my mind keeps turning corners, weird. As of right now, I'm pissed that anything could get ahold of me this much, so, I know I'm going 3 days for sure. 3 days is what I've read on how long it takes for all the nicotine to leave your body.

As I stated, I'm not sure where this is heading. I find this process of quitting pure torture and then I get pissed for allowing something this level of control. Suffice to say I definitely need a break from chewing. We will see what happens. I have been reading some on quitting for just the hour in front of you. I like that. It's working.

Suck it up and do it. I quit smoking cigars and that was a bitch. I was smoking 15-20 a day, and quit cold turkey. Three days is not going easy and that is just the beginning. If you want to really do it you can. Work be easy though, but worth it.

Well here I am at 72 hrs and tobacco free. Chewing was a HUGE part of my existence for my whole life. Lets see, I started at about 11 or 12 and except for 2 years and 3 months, I've chewed my life away. 32 years of chewing. Wow, 32 years! That is a long haul.

Right now I'm still savoring each new experience. The intense crave is getting boring, but if I stay detached and just observe I get pissed at myself and that helps me get through it. I honestly don't know where I'll take this, but I find it interesting and will continue.

I am really interested in how the next 2 weeks will go. They say after 3-5 days that the nicotine is out of your body and you start dealing with just the mental aspects more.

Ok, well that's probably the last I'll talk about chewing tobacco. I will either start again, or not, at some point. Right now I'll just go one hour at a time, it's been working pretty good.

Well here I am at 72 hrs and tobacco free.

Hang in there, Chris. If it helps, just think of diverting that income you used to spend on tobacco to spend on reloading components. That means more shooting time, which is much healthier because you are out and about and moving around.

I've heard it helps to break a bad habit (in this case chewing) by replacing it with a good habit (shooting).

For real. The good habit occupies your time, hands, and mind.

Very tuff stuff, giving up a long time nicotine habit like that. Not sure if you enjoy an adult beverage from time to time, I have seen how a few beers can open the door again.

Stay strong, time is your friend, it gets easier.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Ok, shot my first tobacco free match. It was brutal. I made a "most A's" bet with Rvb. He kicked my arse handily by 14 A's, so thats $5 to a good cause. I lost, but I say good cause because it did keep my mind mostly focused on shot calling. It feels good to be back to a penalty free match from last weeks disaster at ACC. This match at Ft..Wayne was a great one. It had everything in it with plenty of difficult shots and distant no-shoots.

The worse thing I can say is I froze my butt off and I think being cold cost me a few ticks on both strings of the classifier. Oh we'll, it was a solid A run, so I can't really complain.

All in all it was a great day for shooting. I didn't realize how much the tobacco thing would bug me though. I'm not sure I have ever shot a stage without chewing. But, I worked through it, and now I can say I have shot a whole match tobacco free.

I'm wanting some solid practice for the next 2 weeks. I will be working the Indiana SS/PROD/REVO match next weekend, so I won't get a match for two weeks, give me some time to work on my reloads and transitions.

Gunned up tonight and did some DRYFIRE work. I get lazy on draws, T&D's and reloads and need to push these in order to gain that little extra tick or two I'll need in order to make Master this summer. Plan on getting a couple live fire practices in each week for the next couple weeks. Don't have a match until the 4th of May. Gonna use this time to work the fundamentals to death and get the gun in my hands everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

I've kept my plan and I've had the gun in hand either dry firing or live firing quite a bit in the last two weeks. First match in awhile will be Saturday at Wildcat. It's not a big match as far as round count goes, but it should be fun. Going to pass on Oxford this Sunday and go to Church.