Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CB45 came over today and after some non gun related running around we finally got down to a great practice. Well, we did manage to go to BK and get some brass, so it wasn't all non gun related running.

The practice was hard as brass balls. We set partials at distance, 8" plates at 18 or more yards, revisited partials on the move, generally difficult shooting. Last stage type drill was a back up movement stage and shooting on the move. Next we did some group shooting at about 15 or so yards. Chad managed a great 3 shot group on his second run. We ended on a fun 8 shot contest on 4 plates from 10 to 50 yards, 2 on each plate. Keeping accuracy as our focus, winner was who had most hits. If hits were equal, then we went to the clock.

All in all it was a great practice and the reason Chad has gained skill so fast.

He shot the Illinois Section this week and finished 91% of winner and 6th over all. Not a single A or below beat him and he in turn beat several other Masters. In a 2 year span Chad has learned what it takes and I think it's great! His drive is forcing me to up my game if I want to keep up, AWESOME!!! I often remind him I'm 20 years his senior, he doesn't let me pull that crap on him, it's great!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Couple pic updates on shooting dojo. Have to get the garage door on and that's it other than the cement floor.

Freakin awesome! When do the winter indoor matches start?

-rvb

Not this year! If I would ever do that it would be invitation only. Of course you and Corey would get an invite, most definitely. It would be awesome.

Couple pic updates on shooting dojo. Have to get the garage door on and that's it other than the cement floor.

-rvb

Not this year! If I would ever do that it would be invitation only. Of course you and Corey would get an invite, most definitely. It would be awesome.

Can't wait!

-rvb

Shooting Wildcat this Saturday. Going to be a fun match. I'm helping set up Saturday morning so I've got to come up with some stage ideas.

Thinking about RVB's suggestion of winter indoor matches sparked some ideas.

1. Carry gun type matches, hmmm

2. A match were everything is supplied, so one match might be with an M&P, next match with a revolver of some sort. All starts from a pick up.

3. Typical Uspsa type matches

Just thinking, there are lots of fun things to do and that is just 3. I'm sure I could come up with more.

Dry fired tonight down on the range. Worked short movement from buzzer to first shooting position. There is a lot going on there. I worked going left and going right and changed the distance and angles up a couple times to keep it fresh.

I have noticed that my gun is up moving into a position, sometimes too early. When I do this the sights pogo on the target as I'm settling into position. If I keep my gun up and elbows bent a little, then punch out the last little bit, it is quicker for me. I experimented with this for 30 minutes or so. Good practice and I worked up a sweat.

Edited by Chris iliff

Shot Wildcat today, got the memo at Ft. Wayne about "no magic fairy dust", completely had to relearn that lesson through 3 stages.

Very good match!! Jonathan is doing what he can to make this a great match, Chad, Kurt, my Dad and myself stepped up and set up a stage today. We all got there 2 hours early and set up a great 32 round field course. Dad over heard some calling it the "death stage", lol. It did have some options and some no shoots sprinkled through out.

Tanked a SH/WH standards stage, could not settle in on SH, then had a death jam of 15 or more seconds, probably 20, uuuuhhhhhgg!!!

Tanked the classifier Diamond Cutter. First stage of the day and was definitely not grooved in. On a positive note my time was great, 3 seconds or so. I was pretty hyped and thought that it would be my first GM run on a classifier, should have settled down and just shot.

All in all a great match, I learned some things, got to hang out with good people!!

Now off to eat steak!!!

Chad found a smith for me. My gun is now in his hands. He says it should be done in a month. I am nervous about using anyone other than GANs. But, he is retired, so I'm kinda stuck.

I have never had a single problem shooting 9mm Open and using an upright mount, GANS knows how to make a 9 run. I worry this smith might not get it. If my gun runs like always, I'll sing this guys praises till the cows come home.

Long run I'm hoping to turn this gun into my back up and get Cheely or Akai to build me one. Right now I'm leaning Akai, but Cheely is 4 hours north and drivable in a pinch. Plus, Cheely is innovative as hell. Here in Indiana I've seen a lot of his guns over the years and they all have two things in common, they are innovative and run like sewing machines.

Well, that will be down the road, right now, I just want Juju back.

-rvb

Sign me up!!!

Ill vouch for Cheely. My lim gun flat runs. Plus he has the customer service. he ws running behind delivery (what smith isnt) and was getting close to pinch time that i first needed it. He rented a plane and flew it down to meet me here in town (he is a pilot). I thought that was awesome

Ill vouch for Cheely. My lim gun flat runs. Plus he has the customer service. he ws running behind delivery (what smith isnt) and was getting close to pinch time that i first needed it. He rented a plane and flew it down to meet me here in town (he is a pilot). I thought that was awesome

I've heard some good things about his service. I have to say though, I was very disappointed when he couldn't squeeze me in so I could shoot this summer. I know that all the smiths are behind, but if Matt had said bring me your stuff and I'll do what I can do, I wouldn't even be considering another smith. At that point, I would have been a Cheely customer for life. As it was, Cheely said 6 months+++, so Chad stepped up and loaned me his back up Trubore. I got to shoot some and make Master.

Like I said, ALL smiths are busy. Anyways, look at what is going on in the post above. If the gun runs, maybe I've found my next smith.

Edited by Chris iliff

• 2 weeks later...

Got my gun last night. Just came in from the range after sighting it in and shooting about 100 rounds. I like it.

Hate sighting in Cmores. After dancing all around plasters at 17 yards I finally knelt down and shot from a rest. I gripped the piss out of it and had 2 nice 3 shot groups in the pasters. I tightened the set screws and called it quits at that point. Then I ran off a couple of mags on some 8 inch plates at 18-20 yards and my 12 inch 50 yard plate. Felt good, gun ran flawless, and it looks awesome.

I took some pics, here is the best one..............

510DBF2C-E2F1-41DD-BC86-B7F93A6809CF-198

Edited by Chris iliff

When I sighted in my SSTK today, it took me all of 5 rounds and 5 clicks down on the rear. Just sayin'

:roflol:

Bastard

Post a pic of it. I thought it was looking badass when we picked them up from the smith last night. Your slide to frame fit was like budder!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, been awhile since I shot a match with my own gun. I had a great day at the range. Just felt good to be out there doing what we do. Wildcat is a good club and gets a good turn out, but they are inexperienced with USPSA. Today there were almost 50 shooters. I know 4 of us are dedicated USPSA guys. The problem they have is stage design and legality of stages. Knowing this, CB45 and I decided to arrive early the last 2 months and set up a stage. This has helped the match a lot.

Today we did our stage and then tweaked another. The stage we tweaked was a great idea and worked well after the tweaks were in place. Had we not tweaked it, it would have been a simple 2 position stage and the movement part would have only been about 5 feet. After the tweaks it turned into several positions, multiple options, and a lot more movement. Basically a great stage.

I haven't been shooting much this summer, but I accomplished all my goals and I am good with it. I probably didn't win HOA today, pretty sure that honor will go to CB45, he shot a great, penalty free match. I am happy with my shooting for as little as I've got to do this year, seems odd that the season is almost over and I think I didn't shoot 10 matches. Plus, not one major.

This winter, I'm gonna have to figure some goals out and see where I want this ride to go. I could push and make GM next year, or continue what I've been doing and not worry about it for another year or two. I'm guessing not, because frankly, I know exactly what I'm missing to make GM and it's all cured in a dry-fire routine. I could DRYFIRE over the winter and it would happen, or I could relax, like usual, and just shoot next year and see what happens as a Master. Knowing me, I'm guessing the "not" only because I'm sure I don't want to DRYFIRE a bunch.

Well today was a blast, I had fun. I'll post results when I get them.

My suspicions were correct, CB45 won HOA at Wildcat. I managed 2nd over all. I did take the classifier as a win, but I'm not sure it even broke out of the A range, or into the A range for that matter. Should have won another stage, but was "out pointed" by Chad, I had him beat by half a second.

Clearly shooting more points has got to be in everyones future. Efficiency of stages is decent, I could use a little more work in that department. I shouldn't expect much from myself as I have shot so little this summer.

I think the Production Nationals winner is a robot. OUCH, the guy hits our shores 2 years in a row and feeds us our lunch at our own Nationals. Eric is a phenom. I don't think anyone even shot a GM score against him, double ouch. Most of our guys were in the high 80's, triple ouch.

I do believe we have a guy or two that can dethrone him. In fact, I think Stoeger will get it done eventually. Stoeger is the USA's version of a shooter robot, except he has ATTITUDE!! Yep, I believe Stoeger could do it.

Edited by Chris iliff