Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

Shot a little today, not much, about 100 rounds. Worked on T/D and after 10 years its still a work in progress. Hmmmmm, even at a mild distance like 7 yards it is a struggle for me to break 1.20 seconds for a solid A hit. Suffice to say, I ain't changing it anymore, I finally have a hand position I like and I'll just keep doing it until it grooves better.

Shooting Warsaw tomorrow with the crew, first match since May. Gonna shake the rust off, lol.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot Warsaw today, basically a crap fest. Took

2 stages to shake the rust off and by that point I had 2 mikes.

Didn't groove until the classifier and that was a 90.9% run according to the classifier calculator. That should push me to Master class in open. I ain't holding my breath though, because every time I figure my percentage out, the update shows something different. Oh well. We will wait and see.

My match was shaky to say the least. Sometimes an extended break is good for match finish and sometimes it's not. Today was a not. Had trouble on every stage and just didn't feel like I was shooting effortlessly. Other than the classifier, everything felt a little rushed/disjointed. I chalk it up to not shooting matches in almost 2 months.

I did get to see Brent Roberts (aka machine gun Roberts) shoot beautiful on a stage. Frankly it was the nicest I think I've ever seen him shoot. Just a badass run, ....complete text book, here's how you do it! Smooth, effortless, good hits.

All in all I had a great day with great people shooting.

Ended 4th out of 5 in Open, just too sloppy and not enough points. I was consistent across 3 stages with a 1st and two 2nd's, but came in dead last on another 2 stages and then a 4th. Lack of any match shooting the past 2months hurts. Also, I was very undisciplined after the classifier, I knew that it was the best I'd ever shot and I was so happy about it I just didn't program the last 2 stages very well and suffered for it.

Edited by Chris iliff

• 2 weeks later...

It's been awhile. I finally have some good news.

51E8A60E-E8AA-4F28-989E-CAFA3C134C7B-550

It smelled great as I unwrapped it. Like fresh candy. Good stuff.

I think I'm gonna go with a smith in Indy. CB45 has used him and he does great work. I'm gonna let him have a go at this. Basically fighting weight on slide (couple scallops) and fitting it. Then probably a ball detent for racker and some kind of finish. Hoping to be back in the game with my own equipment by August.

• 3 weeks later...

Drove to Atlanta's range tonight to practice with CB45 and a new shooter named Curtis. Had a real good time. First gun in the hand in little over a month. Definitely some rust, but right out of the holster I cracked a 1 secondish draw at 7 yards. Felt just a little disconnected from the gun, duh, it's been a month.

Worked on entries and exits and shooting as soon as possible. I was very rusty. I smoothed up some towards the end. Couldn't stay as long as I wanted though. It did feel really good to be on a range shooting/practicing with Chad and Curtis. Chad is dead nuts right, this type of practice will get us the most gains. Shooting A's and learning to be more efficient is where future gains will be made.

Part of the reason I drove to Atlanta was to borrow Chad's Trubore again. I've got my new slide, but now I'm saving my pennies to get it fitted and finished. Good thing I've got a buddy like Chad. The plan is to shoot Ft. Wayne then make the drive to Silvercreek in September.

Anyways, good to post and be shooting a little.

Thanks guys!

It ain't big to some people, but making Master is big to me. So, I want to thank everyone who has supported that endeavor.........you know who you are!

Specifically..

First, my Pops, J.A. Iliff has helped me with tons of stuff over the years and GAVE me my first and still only Open gun just about 10 years ago. The only thing still original on that gun is the frame, lol, I've bought and replaced everything once, some things twice.

I'd like to give a shout out to Sensei (Chris Keen), who has really mentored me in the last 2 years and answered all my questions. I probably drove him nuts early on, but he always helped me when I asked.

All my team mates especially Big Pete Briggs and his son Repete, who make team "Lake Mortgage" possible.

In earnest me making Master started about 1 and a half years ago, when I met a kid at his first USPSA match. He loved the sport and I loved telling him all about it and everything I have learned over the years. Damn if this guy didn't listen. Then damn if he didn't show up at my house and practice. Then damn if it didn't motivate me. And Damn, we made Master together!! Thanks Chad!!!!

Congrats again Chris! I've loved seeing the determination in your eyes. And just as much as you loved telling Chad everything about the sport, I've loved telling you as many secrets to winning as I could. It's pretty much the same thing.

Keep up the good work bro! :)

Congrats again Chris! I've loved seeing the determination in your eyes. And just as much as you loved telling Chad everything about the sport, I've loved telling you as many secrets to winning as I could. It's pretty much the same thing.

Keep up the good work bro! :)

Thanks Sensei

Thanks guys!

It ain't big to some people, but making Master is big to me. So, I want to thank everyone who has supported that endeavor.........you know who you are!

Specifically..

First, my Pops, J.A. Iliff has helped me with tons of stuff over the years and GAVE me my first and still only Open gun just about 10 years ago. The only thing still original on that gun is the frame, lol, I've bought and replaced everything once, some things twice.

I'd like to give a shout out to Sensei (Chris Keen), who has really mentored me in the last 2 years and answered all my questions. I probably drove him nuts early on, but he always helped me when I asked.

All my team mates especially Big Pete Briggs and his son Repete, who make team "Lake Mortgage" possible.

In earnest me making Master started about 1 and a half years ago, when I met a kid at his first USPSA match. He loved the sport and I loved telling him all about it and everything I have learned over the years. Damn if this guy didn't listen. Then damn if he didn't show up at my house and practice. Then damn if it didn't motivate me. And Damn, we made Master together!! Thanks Chad!!!!

Nice Job Chris!!

Way to go Chris!! Its been overdue for you! I know you've worked hard to get it. Now I really gotta push to keep up with you at matches. Guess I should practicing again to get my M card?

Nice Job. You work really hard and come a long way sense we been shooting together!!! Now if you get your gun done you will be set. But look at all the ammo you saved this summer.

Way to go Chris!! Its been overdue for you! I know you've worked hard to get it. Now I really gotta push to keep up with you at matches. Guess I should practicing again to get my M card?

I get in my own way sometimes. Lol

As to your last sentence, heaven sakes don't practice!!! Geez. How would I beat you then?

Edited by Chris iliff

Nice Job. You work really hard and come a long way sense we been shooting together!!! Now if you get your gun done you will be set. But look at all the ammo you saved this summer.

I think back 10 years and there was You, John, my Dad and me. Wow, we have come a long way. Now quit sandbagging and join me!!!!!!

Shot Ft. Wayne's match today.

Definitely got the memo. The one that says, "Hey dumbass, there is no shooting fairy that sprinkles magic shooting dust on you when you make Master!"

As my good friend RVB said, "You are the same shooter you were last month." Ain't that the truth brother, lol.

Now, how to break it down, here goes. I learned a ton today. Isn't that the hallmark of a good local match? How much it teaches you? I think it is. I think the guys up in Ft. Wayne are striving to improve the match and draw shooters. I also believe they are very close to achieving that goal. The match has turned into one of the best anywhere. Unfortunately, the word is slow getting out and therefore their turnout is small, like less than 25 shooters. I'm not sure how to get more shooters up there on the 3rd Sunday? I guess I'm gonna take the time to plug Ft. Wayne at every shooters meeting I attend. It is an awesome match!!!

What's great is they have so much experience with USPSA. The guys running the match are long time shooters and know how to develope a good stage. Plus, what I really like is that they have these great bays at Ft. Wayne and they are not afraid to utilize the whole bay. I'm not talking about a foot race, I'm talking smart, structured stages with many options.

Ok, what did I learn? I learned that I need movement work on partials at 6-8 yards. I learned that I can move fairly well and shoot good, but my distance is a little closer than I thought for moving and shooting partials (there's that fairy dust thing), hmmmm. A big one, and one that has bitten me before, wide transition to last target in an array. Say there are 3 target, then a fourth that has a wide, long transition. I'm anticipating the transition and moving off the 3rd target early, earning a mike. These two are glaring errors that I can fix.

So, ........1. No magic fairy dust, I'm still the same shooter. Just an M now.

2. Learn my moving distance comfort zone on partials.

3. Visual patience, SEE the one thing you need to SEE, before you transition.

4. Rvb is a bada$$ mofo with a production gun.

5. Young guys (Corey) can miss, leave box, return to box, miss, leave Box, return to box then hit the plate and somehow, beat you on the stage and actually earn a stage win? See, there is special fairy dust,....or is that CROSSFIT? Hmmmmmmm.

Edited by Chris iliff

Thanks for the plug ;)

I've known your #4 for awhile now. The other "new" lessons are something we ought to know by now but they are so easy to forget :)

Good shooting today. Maybe I'll get you next month.

This is day one of shooting dojo. I actually thought it would be late June, early July, but the builder has been swamped. I'll keep pics coming as they progress. As an extra bonus, the guy running the auger went down to my range and did 4 holes for a shelter down there also. I had tried to do them myself with post hole diggers but the roots were so bad I couldn't get it done.

D9E9D42E-4E0E-4281-AA5B-85B63DE54101-218

Another angle........

BC2DA02D-C687-4555-ADD4-C16FBB0BFDEB-218

Edited by Chris iliff

Yes, way back when I went down the pole barn route and decided to build a 24x64 with an 8 foot porch(overhang) down the back side. This would be my indoor training facility. I did what was necessary $$ wise and have just been waiting on builder.

In the meantime, gun breaks, wife gets in nursing school, blah blah blah and long story short, I'm now a broke bastard building a cool ass pole barn/shooting dojo. Lol. It is what it is. I almost cancelled the project, but thought....what the hell, just do it and be done with it. Except now I won't get to finish it, it will just be a building. Oh well, that's the hardest part, right?

Long term is to do what "Bend of the River" has done in their pole building. a 20 yard indoor range. But, that will be another season or so. I have to get the wife through nursing school and back working. Geez, the sacrifices!!! Lol.

Anyway, that's that basically.

Practice tonight with CB45 at Atlanta. I really like setting up a little 6 to 8 shot drill and running it a few times. Breaking it down, watching the time drop and the points increase.

We worked entries on 4 different partial targets, it was a good drill. Next we did movement with partials at about 7-8 yards, no stopping continuous movement. Next up some more movement on partials, running theme huh, with a hard set up on a partial at distance with a 90 degree transition to a close up Hoser/partial.

I had a good time and need this more and more. These types of practices are great and representative of what you find at almost any match. I'm starting to be a fan of the harder you make practice the better off you'll be.

I practiced most everything that gave me trouble at Ft. Wayne. Kinda felt like I hi jacked Chads practice, but he was cool with it.

Some Dojo updates.

This is a view from the bullet trap end. It is 64 feet long. I will be able to make 20 yard shots.

B19CC20B-0ACC-4730-B488-A06882E026D2-545

The following isn't the best pic, but it's a view with the roof on. The Dojo will be barn red with a green roof and green wainscot (sp). Hard to see that the roof is green in pic.

288356CC-D26E-4C2F-8792-D36F401403F2-545

WOW! You weren't kidding!!! :rolleyes: Looking good Chris! :cheers:

No, I was not kidding.

Took the builder longer than I thought, but it's underway. Going to be awhile before I get the bullet trap done, but it will happen. Probably should have held off, with wife in school and all, but I didn't. Gotta get the wife through nursing school and things will get back to normal then.

Trim needs some work and of course, the bottom, wainscot.......

3caca4d8deb4f44470175551e0d0b82a.jpg

Edited by Chris iliff