Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

Wildcat was fun. Shot a so so match (mostly stand and shoot stages) w/lots of activators and moving targets. Since stand and shoots are a weakness for me it was a good match to work on things. I had a decent run on the classifier CM 99-11 El Presidente. I shot it in 5.58 down 2 (58pts) and that comes in at a 10.39 HF which is about 87% nationally in Open.

It's nice to have another Master class classifier run. This year one of my goals is to shoot some GM classifiers. In ten years I've never shot one, not even spraying and praying. I need to fix that.

On a positive note, just taking a couple tenths off the Turn and Draw or Reload or both get me solid GM runs on EL Presidente. It's nice to be finally getting to the point where I can focus in on a few skills and know I'm going to get to the next level. I know exactly how I shot this today. I could duplicate it cold 8 out of ten times and I SAW everything. 3 years ago I had so much to work on it almost seemed overwhelming. Now, I can run something like the El Pres and clearly see and define a few things to get me over the top.

It was nice today shooting with my team mate Repete Briggs. Good day on the range.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to try and get some practice in before Sunday's Warsaw match. Brent and crew will put on a good one as usual and it will be fun.

I'm going to work on shooting a clean match and being efficient.

I've mowed my 3 acre yard 4 times in the last 2 weeks and as much as I love spring and summer, I'm already getting tired of the mowing.

Well, I shot a little today, about 100 rounds.

If I focus and concentrate on seeing, everything else follows. I focused on seeing the target spot and calling the shots. I also did some WH work, draw to WH shots in the upper A and some 2 reload to WH then upper A all at about 10 yards.

Tomorrow is Warsaw, should be a great match!!!

Cold cold cold!! I froze my butt off shooting today at Warsaw.

As usual, Warsaw put on a great match, with awesome stages. I shot a so so match. I never could get in a groove and just shoot. I never felt like I got warmed up, literally.

Completely trashed the classifier, a no shoot and an extra shot on a Virginia count classifier sucks sucks sucks. I stewed about it the rest of the match and decided to reshoot it. CM 03-04. I paid me money and had another go at it in the cold. Although still not a great run, it did manage to squeak into the Master range by a couple tenths. I felt I could run this one pretty good and I still left a lot on the table. I'm glad I re shot it, but know I could do even better.

Hard to describe my shooting today. It felt disconnected. I did not program most of the stages and was disappointed in my performance on most stages. Disconnected. Hmmmmm, I think the COLD sucks!!!

Results posted: 3rd overall, 2nd in Open. In the overall, 2nd and me separated by .31 match points. I was less than 2 match points from HOA and the match win. Frankly, I'm shocked I finished that close. Again my shooting felt disconnected/disjointed.

Edited by Chris iliff

I ain't moving up the ranks this month. I thought I'd get a bump up to Master, but it's not going to happen. Two clubs didn't get submitted in time so an 85% and 87% did not go on. Additionally, I lost an 89% from my top six.

As much as I can understand it, working the math, even if those clubs would have submitted in time I probably would have dropped 1/2 a percent anyway. Which is funny cause I'm adding 2 M scores, but losing the 89 hurt me.

Oh well, it's going to happen at some point and there are plenty of A Class guys that can beat me so I still have room to grow!!!!

Speaking of growth, I got Sensei Keen coming this week and 4 other guys for a class. Excellence in Shooting (EIS) is in my backyard this weekend. Nice having a GM hold classes in me backyard!!!!

Anyone want some good training with a kick ass GM just PM me!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Bummed, had to cancel training this weekend. Too much rain coming down and to much expected, my range is flooded. I'm bummed out about it, but it is what it is.

Edited to add....... If anyone in the area wants some good training with a GM let me know. I'm in central Indiana and my home range acts as his Indiana base of operation. The GM is Chris Keen from Ohio. I've had several different classes with him and all have been more than worth it. Name of the training is "Excellence in Shooting", or EIS for short. It's cost effective and highly tailorable to a shooters specific needs/wants. Chris doesn't offer cookie cutter type training.

PM me if interested!!!!!!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

• 2 weeks later...

Suck suck suck.........

I took my gun apart to measure extractor length and while cleaning it ( I know I know, I do clean my gun once in awhile) I found a crack in the slide.

It was suggested I call STI and I did and lo and behold STI wanted me to send it to them. I ain't holding my breath but if it passes their inspection STI said they will replace it. I guess they want to ensure that someone hasn't cut it all up and gone way to light. Hmmm, I'm glad CB45 told me to call them. Now hopefully if it passes their inspection I'll get a new slide.

This is what happens when you take your gun apart to clean it. That slide would still be perfect if I wasn't trying to help a friend figure out his extractor length. Again, it was CB45. That guy hasn't shot Open one season and he has two open guns. DANG KIDS!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Suck suck suck.........

I took my gun apart to measure extractor length and while cleaning it ( I know I know, I do clean my gun once in awhile) I found a crack in the slide.

It was suggested I call STI and I did and lo and behold STI wanted me to send it to them. I ain't holding my breath but if it passes their inspection STI said they will replace it. I guess they want to ensure that someone hasn't cut it all up and gone way to light. Hmmm, I'm glad CB45 told me to call them. Now hopefully if it passes their inspection I'll get a new slide.

This is what happens when you take your gun apart to clean it. That slide would still be perfect if I wasn't trying to help a friend figure out his extractor length. Again, it was CB45. That guy hasn't shot Open one season and he has two open guns. DANG KIDS!!!

If it makes you feel any better, neither of his work! :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Sorry CB, couldn't resist.

If you can track down a SS rig, I've got a spare 1911 and plenty of mags. No CZs though. :(

You guys crack me up, I know none of you are really that nice, you just want to whip the hell out of me while I try to shoot something that's not an Open gun.

No really, I appreciate all the offers. Right now I'm just concentrating on getting mine fixed. Unfortunately, I think GAN's has indeed retired. I have sent him an email, but it might be more than he is willing to undertake.

I also sent Cheely an email, hopefully GANs or Cheely will tackle it and I won't have some stretched out months long wait. HOPEFULLY!!!

After reading GANs website I'm thinking Cheely is gonna get the job if he will do it. From reading GANs site it doesn't sound like it is something he will do anymore, basically he is just down to making comps and lightening slides, no fitting or bluing or nothing.

Wish me luck!!!

Edited to add: the more I think on it, the more I want Cheely to accept. If GANs is gonna retire, I need a new guru gunsmith and I know Cheely's guns are awesome and always run. Plus, he is just one State away.

Edited by Chris iliff

I can hook you up with a SS rig.

You would not be allowing me my illusions if I shot your SS rig!!!

But thanks brother, I appreciate the offer!!

And that goes to everyone offering, we have a great community, I love it!!!

What Bill said. Not being able to shoot sucks.

But it would be worth a chuckle or 2 to see your reaction when the gun runs out of bullets after only 9 shots. :cheers:

SEE, it's an evil plot!! EVIL I say,........EVIL, lol.

Nothing to report. I haven't heard a word from STI yet, but I'm almost positive they are gonna replace my slide.

Cheely told me 6+ months, YIKES, that is a testament to how awesome his guns are and the reputation they have for running. Matt said he was slammed with work.

On a good note, GANs (Gary NATALE) says when they send me my slide to contact him again. I basically groveled in an email. I think he might do this for me only because I'm not a new customer. This would be the best thing really.

Once I get this sorted out it is time to start seriously considering another Open gun. I have never had a back up and that is just plain not working out for me. The pole building (shooting dojo) should be here within 3-5 weeks. That is sucking up some moola, but it will be worth it. Once up, it will take some time to do everything I need to do to shoot inside, but at least it will be up!!!

I really wanted a Limcat Open gun, but I'm thinking that I need to stick to a builder that is east of the Mississippi and within driving distance. Of course Cheely is top of the list. I'm also thinking Akaicustom, but I have yet to see a one of them in action, I know they are out there and running fine though.

Nothing to report. I haven't heard a word from STI yet, but I'm almost positive they are gonna replace my slide.

Cheely told me 6+ months, YIKES, that is a testament to how awesome his guns are and the reputation they have for running. Matt said he was slammed with work.

On a good note, GANs (Gary NATALE) says when they send me my slide to contact him again. I basically groveled in an email. I think he might do this for me only because I'm not a new customer. This would be the best thing really.

Once I get this sorted out it is time to start seriously considering another Open gun. I have never had a back up and that is just plain not working out for me. The pole building (shooting dojo) should be here within 3-5 weeks. That is sucking up some moola, but it will be worth it. Once up, it will take some time to do everything I need to do to shoot inside, but at least it will be up!!!

I really wanted a Limcat Open gun, but I'm thinking that I need to stick to a builder that is east of the Mississippi and within driving distance. Of course Cheely is top of the list. I'm also thinking Akaicustom, but I have yet to see a one of them in action, I know they are out there and running fine though.

I need to hear more about this shooting dojo!

Well, think 24' wide by 64' long with 10' ceiling. Then think bullet trap along one entire 24' end. That's about it.

There is a club in Michigan that holds indoor shoots during the winter. Their building is a lot bigger than what I am doing, but I've studied their bullet trap and it is a fairly simple design. I won't be able to do the building and the trap all at once, but it will happen!!

Just think, 20 yard shots, INDOORS!!! I'm so stoked, plus it's an indoor facility that Excellence in Shooting (EIS) can use as an Indiana base of operations. Recently had to cancel an EIS training session due to rain and flooding, won't happen in the future. Also gives me

A place to shoot in the winter, geez, heat and insulation, more $$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I'll post pics when it's being built!!!

Well, think 24' wide by 64' long with 10' ceiling. Then think bullet trap along one entire 24' end. That's about it.

There is a club in Michigan that holds indoor shoots during the winter. Their building is a lot bigger than what I am doing, but I've studied their bullet trap and it is a fairly simple design. I won't be able to do the building and the trap all at once, but it will happen!!

Just think, 20 yard shots, INDOORS!!! I'm so stoked, plus it's an indoor facility that Excellence in Shooting (EIS) can use as an Indiana base of operations. Recently had to cancel an EIS training session due to rain and flooding, won't happen in the future. Also gives me

A place to shoot in the winter, geez, heat and insulation, more $$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I'll post pics when it's being built!!!

Sweet. I'll have to come over and check it out when its done. I'll be training with that Keen fellow this weekend. Looking forward to it. I need to start taking better advantage of him being in my backyard.