Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

Hit the range tonight and set up a little 6 shot drill. Decided to work on snapping eyes and seeing. I could run the drill right at 3 seconds from surrender.

Every couple runs I dipped into the high 2's. 2.80-2.90.

I find that on my best runs the eyes have it.

Thinking about RVB and just blowing the doors off to see if I could see I let it all go on my last six rounds. Funny, I remember the shots, maybe the first dot on t1, but the rest is a blur. The run was a 2.22, with more Mikes than i care to divulge. I set a goal of 2.3 on the drill.

I'll keep plugging away focusing on vision. I just have to get the vision speeded up, ha!!

Edited by Chris iliff

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practiced again tonight. Trying to digest what RVB has been telling me. Shot my little six shot drill and really let it hang out. I think I'm starting to get it better. Recorded some below 2.60 getting the hits. Draw right at 1.30. Knocking a couple tents off that gets me my goal of 2.3 for the drill

Side note: bought a 69 VW bug. Worked on that today and it's running. Had an electrical issue and that took a couple hours to sort out. I can't believe how smooth it runs. Needs a complete restore.

Not a great pic. Spent some time running down an electrical problem. You just can't believe how sweet and smooth it runs!! Pulled it out of the weeds behind a guys house in Sheridan. A wheeler dealer guy with 4 acres of cars and junk everywhere! Had to winch it up on the trailer!!

FDE264A1-79A5-402A-A100-6D785337F52F-2466-00000566C03BD3CB_zpsbb192394.jpg

No, I am going to Church and hanging with the family. Sacrifices today pay dividends tomorrow!! Have fun and burn that classifier down.

Edited by Chris iliff

Did a little range time tonight. Skill are perishable!! This ain't riding a bike brother.

I started off with some dryfire on my 6 shot drill. I figured had the most to gain on my surrender draw. I could run it down to about 2.50 dry. My very first run live was a 2.84. I played around with it dryfire and ran another live at 2.87.

Next up I ran a turn and draw from the box to a target at 10 yards. I Dryfired it 7-8 times until a got a solid par of 1.2. Then I ran it live, hit was a C and time was 1.40ish. Rob and I both noticed this phenomenon.

WHY? Hmmmmm

I'm not sure why, but I've been dryfiring long enough to be honest and know I'm being honest. I ran some more dry and started par a little high like right at my live time, and sure enough it was easy and I worked my way right to a 1.20 par. Did the live again and right back in the 1.40's.

Next I did a couple dry Bill Drills. Par right at 2 sec. Live I recorded three of my nicer drills, 2.03, 2.02, and a 1.96. Sorry to say I had a C or two on each one!!

I ended the session with groups at 7 yards. Recorded a nice half dollar group and finished up going 5 for 5 on my 12" plate at 50 yards.

I had a good calm relaxed unrushed session. It was nice!

I really have been thinking about shooting and moving forward. I'm borderline M class and I'm going to have to hit Steve's books and really be dedicated to efficiency in all my movements to make M/GM. Honestly, I don't think I have the blazing fast twitch muscle response some do. I don't think it matters, I just got to refine and I'm prepared to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot South Central.

300 miles round trip!! Max Bedwell put on one heck of a great match, glad I made the drive!!

Picked up Chad Boncquet (CB45) on the way down, so I had some good company driving.

6 stages, several activators, a Texas Star, and enough hard cover to keep a shooter honest made this one of the best club matches I've shot this year.

I felt a little slow on a couple stages, but I did shoot a penalty free match. I had way too many D hits for my taste though.

I shot relaxed and tried to keep things simple, hopefully it'll pay off. I'll post score when they are up.

Shot South Central.

300 miles round trip!! Max Bedwell put on one heck of a great match, glad I made the drive!!

Picked up Chad Boncquet (CB45) on the way down, so I had some good company driving.

6 stages, several activators, a Texas Star, and enough hard cover to keep a shooter honest made this one of the best club matches I've shot this year.

I felt a little slow on a couple stages, but I did shoot a penalty free match. I had way too many D hits for my taste though.

I shot relaxed and tried to keep things simple, hopefully it'll pay off. I'll post score when they are up.

Get all the hits on the classifier?

Yes I got all the hits, too many D's on classifier. I don't know why I rushed, 5 sec was plenty of time for each string. I see we both got a 78 HF, funny.

I ended HOA at 6% above a very good limited A class guru. I shot relaxed and penalty free. I was HOA on every stage but the classifier and i rushed that one, duh. Fun match at South Central!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Ok, that was better. Did a 100round practice. Worked my turn and draw and head shots at some varying distances. Got my dot figured finally. I had been accepting of B hits in the head box ( always low). I want that point and it's there for the taking. I just never broke my 10 yard zero. Now at 17 yard zero I gotta get the brain thinking aim high. In the heat of a stage that was proving fruitless.

Some Bill drills around 2.20 was me best.

Good practice.

Got my dot figured finally. I had been accepting of B hits in the head box ( always low). I want that point and it's there for the taking. I just never broke my 10 yard zero. Now at 17 yard zero I gotta get the brain thinking aim high. In the heat of a stage that was proving fruitless.

This is why I like a 7 or 10yd zero. Up close I just want the dot ON. I never like holding over, but I don't mind holding under (a carry over from shooting irons I guess). Farther out on the headbox, eg 15+, I'm not going to slow up enough to guarantee the A, so I'd rather just put the dot in the center of the head (15-25) or on the B/C line (25+) and hope for an A. Then if there is hardcover blocking part of the lower A, I can just put the dot on the top of the hardcover line and know the bullet will hit above that. I'm all about a quickly identifiable aim point.

-rvb

Shot Warsaw. Probably last match of the year. The weather held off until the drive home. Ran one excellent stage. Heart and head was just not in it.

Very happy with this year and my progress. Going to sit down and evaluate the next step. I'm close to Master, % wise. I need a winter dryfire program. I need to decide on exactly what major matches I'm going to shoot next season.

I need an exercise program.

I'm doing a lot correctly and that's a great thing. I feel that I understand MY game and reflecting on everything I've got some areas to work.

Won HOA at Warsaw.

Nothing to jump up and down about. Everyone else shot SS/Pro/Rev. In prep for state.

Shot 91% of pts not counting penalties and 86% counting penalties. I don't want to dwell on the classifiers, but I hosed myself.

Lots of pros and I had some very good stages picking up tons of alphas and snapping the eyes then shooting the dot. Moved pretty good on some stages, but the heart was not in it (lack of even any other OPEN shooter). Ho hum was my feeling all day.

Did not shoot today. I am probably done for the season. I am in my reflection and contemplation mode.

Season pros. Shot 3 State matches. Finished strong in all 3. Shot my first classifiers above 85%. I even beat KC Eusubio on a stage at Ohio State. I am really starting to let VISION dictate shooting. I've gotten a lot of comments from friends who say they admire my ability to respect targets and shoot accordingly. I accomplished that through vision. I have controlled my nerves better this year. Not near as shaky before the beep.

Cons: physical fitness. Frankly, I am so happy to SEE what I'm seeing that I'm only going to dwell on physical fitness. I turned 45(May) and definitely let myself go the last 4-5 years. I am completely lacking in every aspect of physical fitness. I think this impacts performance during stages and definitely during longer matches. I don't think it's as big as some make out, but then, I'm not as big as some. I am easily 30 pounds overweight though. At 6'4" most people would say I look fairly fit. But, honestly, I'm exhausted after an easy 5 Stage match. I know I need some physical fitness program.

Off season work. Last year I took some advice from RVB and kinda did nothing. This year I'm excited about what I've accomplished and want to start next season BETTER than I finished.

I'm going to revisit Anderson's books. I might even contact Steve and pay him a visit. I know I've used dryfire incorrectly in the past and I want it to be perfect moving forward. What better way than spending some time with him refining my technique and my notions. Yes, notions.

Dryfire: develop and implement a dryfire program. My goal is 4-5 times a week. Solid fundamentals being the emphasis. Followed by gun up short course movement. All this I can do inside.

Fitness. Develop and implement a solid fitness program including strength and cardio. 2-3 days a week. Drop 30 pounds in 4-5 months. Eat better.

Livefire. 2-3 hundred a week. Emphasizing dryfire routine and reconciling differences in times.

I think I am going to take some down time as well. let the itch rebuild itself over the next couple months then hit it hard. :cheers:

Fitness is something I am hitting harder now that my season is basically over. I have spent a lot of time working out and trying to eat right (some days are better than others) and I think it helped me a lot this year. Can't wait to see how much more improvement I have next year. Crossfit is what I'm doing for actual gym work and its a killer, but it works. Jake DiVita got me into it about a year ago. In terms of eating right and losing weight (weight loss is almost all diet based) check out the Paleo/Primal diet. Its not really a diet, just changing how you eat. I did it hard core for 8 weeks as a contest at my crossfit gym and lost like 15 pounds and nearly 20" off my body. Ive slipped a bit since then and am only about 75% true to it, but I want to get back to it a little more.

Did not shoot today. I am probably done for the season. I am in my reflection and contemplation mode.

Season pros. Shot 3 State matches. Finished strong in all 3. Shot my first classifiers above 85%. I even beat KC Eusubio on a stage at Ohio State. I am really starting to let VISION dictate shooting. I've gotten a lot of comments from friends who say they admire my ability to respect targets and shoot accordingly. I accomplished that through vision. I have controlled my nerves better this year. Not near as shaky before the beep.

Cons: physical fitness. Frankly, I am so happy to SEE what I'm seeing that I'm only going to dwell on physical fitness. I turned 45(May) and definitely let myself go the last 4-5 years. I am completely lacking in every aspect of physical fitness. I think this impacts performance during stages and definitely during longer matches. I don't think it's as big as some make out, but then, I'm not as big as some. I am easily 30 pounds overweight though. At 6'4" most people would say I look fairly fit. But, honestly, I'm exhausted after an easy 5 Stage match. I know I need some physical fitness program.

Off season work. Last year I took some advice from RVB and kinda did nothing. This year I'm excited about what I've accomplished and want to start next season BETTER than I finished.

I'm going to revisit Anderson's books. I might even contact Steve and pay him a visit. I know I've used dryfire incorrectly in the past and I want it to be perfect moving forward. What better way than spending some time with him refining my technique and my notions. Yes, notions.

Dryfire: develop and implement a dryfire program. My goal is 4-5 times a week. Solid fundamentals being the emphasis. Followed by gun up short course movement. All this I can do inside.

Fitness. Develop and implement a solid fitness program including strength and cardio. 2-3 days a week. Drop 30 pounds in 4-5 months. Eat better.

Livefire. 2-3 hundred a week. Emphasizing dryfire routine and reconciling differences in times.

Chris,

Pay Steve a visit. The books are great but an evening with Steve is priceless! I spent time with him last December. He said it was going to be 2 hours and it ended up being 5!

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Pilates is something the wife wants me to do. So I'm kinda leaning that way. I am trying hard to kind of temper my workouts. I'm looking for a very low key type of activity/workout just a couple times a week. My core is in desperate need, lol. I know how I am and just don't want to go overboard.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Pilates is something the wife wants me to do. So I'm kinda leaning that way. I am trying hard to kind of temper my workouts. I'm looking for a very low key type of activity/workout just a couple times a week. My core is in desperate need, lol. I know how I am and just don't want to go overboard.

Pilates is awesome. My neighbor turned me on to it. I looked at her and said 'I thought that was for women?!' She laughed. I quickly found out how WRONG I was. It is very low key, low impact. I was taking classes 3 times a week over the summer. I was 6 classes in (2 weeks) and spent a weekend moving 10 yards of mulch! YES, 10 yards! By Sunday I was exhausted but my back NEVER hurt! Mix in some cardio with it and you will feel amazing. 10 classes you will feel a difference. 30 classes you will have a new body. Now I need to get back into a routine that was interrupted by school transportation issues. Keep me posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in. Trying to set up a class with Steve Anderson. I have pm'd him. So far he hasn't read it. Probably due to the problems with the site.

So, Rob Simmons, Chad Boncquet, and myself so far. Any one else? Any one?? Pm me if interested. Trying to get a weekend in December. Have to see how Mr. Anderson's schedule is.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done with Stoegers new book. I believe it gets to the heart of the matter. It will be a fine addition to any shooters library.

It gives great insight in HOW to train, as well as 10 good drills. I think from a "How do I get better" perspective, this book is unique in that it is very simple and straight forward. Unlike some other training materials available, I find it cuts right to the heart of the matter without bogging down.

My prediction is this straightforward book is going to appeal to the newer shooter through A class competitors and probably be referenced as a "must have" in the not to distant future. Of course the M's and GM's would be wise to purchase it also.

I'm convinced Ben really doesn't give a crap about secrecy in training. He gives a typical week of his training. Listing exactly what he did each day. Refreshing.

The key "idea" or point of the book is to know yourself and what your goals are, then train in that direction.

If you have a Kindle or a smartphone with the FREE Kindle app, there is no reason not to buy.

I don't think I spent $12 bucks total. Might be the biggest bang for the buck out there.

Class is set for the 8th with Mr. Anderson. Looking forward to this. I have not touched a gun in 3 weeks.

I am excited to get my dryfire training and then use that knowledge to hit it correctly over the winter.

Edited by Chris iliff

Looked up my classification. I was surprised I'm at 83.51%. I really feel like I need tons more consistency. I'm happy I'm at this percentage, but there is a lot of work to do.

My plan is to get that consistency through a winter dryfire regimen. This will start with the aforementioned Steve Anderson class on the 8th.

I really started "seeing" this season. It was a powerful experience. I feel with the right focus and application I will achieve my goals.

I now know that becoming a GM is a byproduct of what is truly important. Frankly, it probably took me 7 seasons to really grasp this truism, then another to believe it.

If I focus on the truly important, the other stuff will happen. So what are the Truly importants?

Why........the fundamental, of course!

Edited by Chris iliff