Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

90-95% is a convenient little metric for match performance, but that's not the take-away I was going for...

"if you want to get fast, sometimes you have to go so fast that you miss."

I'm talking about sometimes in practice not worrying about 90%, or shooting As, or even always seeing what you need to see... rather just going balls out and see what you see.

"...literally driving the gun faster than you know how. If you concentrate, pay attention to the gun and what you’re doing, you’ll find yourself seeing the sights faster. You’ll feel the trigger faster. Essentially, your eyes and your brain will catch up to the speed of the gun."

The takeaway I was going for is in your practices, sometimes it's ok to get a bit out of control and work to speed up the vision instead of always letting the vision be a rev limiter on your speed.

-rvb

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cmore took a crap. No dot. It's not the diode. I changed that out with 2 others and installed new batteries. No go.

Next up was swapping out for the one on my race .22. It's a beat up unit that's seen a lot of miles. I got that done and the gun cleaned. I used loctite on the mounting screws and thought it best to wait a day to sight in. I was gaining so much confidence in the new platform I feel kinda depressed over this hiccup.

The takeaway I was going for is in your practices, sometimes it's ok to get a bit out of control and work to speed up the vision instead of always letting the vision be a rev limiter on your speed.

-rvb

I was a little rushed with Cmore problems sorry for the short answer earlier. You are 100% correct. In practice I make a point of shooting the gun way over my ability on some things. I try to always include some blazing balls to the wall stuff just to see what I can see. That's why it's SEEING as the end all. I may not SEE everything during a blazing run, but I ask what did I see and didn't see. I try to learn from both.

I think we are on the same page. I've even done this a couple times at locals this summer. It's hard to let go because I want to win and I know I'll lose a ton of points doing it. But, doing it in a match presents some real experience and learning opportunities. I'm getting to where I know my bad shots even at a speed just beyond my ability.

Now, making them up at that speed is not a strong point yet. Baby steps I guess.

Got the Cmore sighted in. As always it sucked.

I left the range doing head shots at 17 yards, plate rack at 25 yards and dinging my 50 yard plate. It's good to go.

Chad will be here at 10 in the morning and we will drive to Warsaw (40 miles) and check it out. I'm pretty excited about shooting the State match. I'm on a great squad and it will be a blast!!

90.87/93.04

% of pts shot at Indiana "with/without" penalties.

5th A, 18th overall in Open.

I learned a ton. I will be tweaking my training accordingly.

I had a rough start on my first 4 stages, then some mental snafus on 3 more which dragged my time down. Nothing that can't be fixed. I'm not happy in the least, but I did think it was going to be worse.

Things to work on.

1. Straight line movement. I tend to go towards what I'm shooting at for no reason. Several seconds on different stages lost.

2. I can shoot a lot faster on long range targets past 20 yards. Why then waste time on these. Several seconds on Two different stages.

3. I'm tons better behind the dot. But, I still have work to do on targets 7 yards and closer. I get it right about 50%. All 3 Mikes today where 7 yards and closer. In addition, this cost me time on several makeup shots. I got some serious scar tissue here that needs additional "isolated" work.

Thank you Indiana and all the staff! Good job!!!! It was a great match!!!!!

Dear diary:

Forgive me, I have not touched a gun in 5 days. I have developed a head cold and feel like crap. Currently on a vitamin C regimen.

I plan to shoot Ft. Wayne this Sunday. Hopefully I'll get back to normal next week.

Wanted to add some comments about State. 10 seconds off of my total match time gets me in the top 10. I can get 10 seconds easy on 3 mental snafus I had on 3 different stages. Looking at scores it's not as bad as I thought. I just need to clean up some execution processes, mental/physical, and I'll be good to go moving forward.

Shot Ft. Wayne today. Almost didn't go as I still feel like crap. I'm glad I did though, I think being outside helped me.

The stages were awesome! Good mix of close and far targets with plenty of steel and no shoots. I shot fairly well as I haven't touched a gun in a week.

The squad was great and it was a good day to be shooting in Indiana, just beautiful outside.

Edited to add. 3rd Open, 3rd overall.

Took stage 1 hands down from the field, highlight of the match. This stage was just awesome. Ralph set it and his stages are TRICKY!! After I shot it I felt that I shot a little choppy and could have done better. It did feel like I was shooting the whole time and I thought that was good. I'll take a stage win and a choppy feeling anyday, LoL!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Shot Ft. Wayne today. Almost didn't go as I still feel like crap. I'm glad I did though, I think being outside helped me.

The stages were awesome! Good mix of close and far targets with plenty of steel and no shoots. I shot fairly well as I haven't touched a gun in a week.

The squad was great and it was a good day to be shooting in Indiana, just beautiful outside.

Edited to add. 3rd Open, 3rd overall.

Took stage 1 hands down from the field, highlight of the match. This stage was just awesome. Ralph set it and his stages are TRICKY!! After I shot it I felt that I shot a little choppy and could have done better. It did feel like I was shooting the whole time and I thought that was good. I'll take a stage win and a choppy feeling anyday, LoL!!

Weather was great!

Stage 1 went really well for me, too... I was happy to finish it at 95% of your score shooting prod (and ahead of Repete), esp since the best way to break it up I could see required 4 mags...

I enjoy those types of stages...

-rvb

It was my first stage and I thought of nothing but shooting it to my ability. Brian Butcher and I are so close to each other I was a little excited about nipping him starting off. Of course, then I thought about winning and possibly beating Repete too, for the rest of the match.

I think there is a lesson there that I keep revisiting but haven't learned. Hmmmm.

Edited to say: shooting that at 95% with all the reloads is freakin' awesome. I called Repete that night and got his thoughts. He said he got a little lost on that one and had to hunt and peck too much. Last time I beat him fair was dang near 4 years ago. I got him at Warsaw once this summer, but it was hollow, he had big time extraction problems.

I've been trying to up my game a bit and I put Oxford Ohio and Sellersburg on my match list. Keen and some other great shooters from Ohio attend both. It's a drive, but I'm hoping to rise to the level of competition. Or something to that effect anyway!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Hit the range tonight.

Started with Dot torture at 7 yards. Not my best one to date. Out of the circle holes were closer to the circle, I'll take this as a victory for now.

I've felt my draw was needing some work. I worked it. Plate machine at 7 yards. One shot draws. I did right around 50 draws.

Next up was a nice little drill. Two plates, reload, two on paper WH.

I ended the session with a couple runs at 25 yards on the plate machine.

Edited to add: reloaded 300 rounds after picking up 2,000 brass from B&K casting.

Edited by Chris iliff

Congrats on the win at ACC!

Yes, I won Open!

I had a so so match and RO'd the day away in the hot sun. In the combined results I finished 3rd. Top 3 ( me 3rd), were separated by less than 7/10's of a percent. My pill to swallow, I had one stage that I should have reloaded on and didn't. Last shot went "click" and I ate the Mike.

This is on me and the difference in outcome. I knew better and should have planned better, a well executed reload cost me almost nothing time wise, would have earned me 15 extra points and the match win.

I shot fairly well, tighten up the game plan and points just a little and I'm fine.

It was a very good match.

Looks like hurricane Issac is going to settle on the Midwest. I doubt I'll shoot this weekend. We will see.

More thoughts on ACC.

I went in this match excited to have a GM on the squad. Always a lot to learn when that happens. I had also really been thinking about "efficiency"

I went against my nature a bit on movement. Normally I haul ass. At this match I tempered my movements a bit and focused on efficiency. I still moved quickly. In fact one stage I won HOA I focused solely on shooting as soon as possible and being efficient. When it was over I remember thinking that I had not been aggressive enough. I was amped up and felt I had exercised too much control.

It was a light bulb type moment. I've been thinking of it ever since. The brain really doesn't comprehend time in a normal sense during the heat of a stage. I've known this but now I KNOW this.

Kinda felt like I took a step forward with this experience/realization. I know exactly what I did to accomplish this stage. Basically I went against my standard mode and tried something different and won HOA.

Not much to report. Shot Wildcat. It was interesting. We got poured on and treated it as a fun shoot. Didn't even score last 3 stages. Just shot them multiple times in the pouring rain.

Dryfired a little last night. Been thinking about Steve Anderson's books, I got them, they are just scary powerful!! I want to make Master next year and know a good regimen will get me there. I've used his books in the past and damn near jumped B class. I don't want to end up a GM quite yet, lol. Right now I'm finishing solid in A and feel Master is a good goal.

Chad is coming over on Saturday. We are going to practice fundamentals. Ought to be fun!!

Practiced fundamentals with Chad on Saturday. Good practice. We set up 3 different classifiers and ran them several times apiece. Very productive. We were careful not to burn them in hoser fashion. just good solid runs. I worked on a consistent draw and first shot.

We did some surrender draws and Chad did some reload drills with his SS.

We did Brian's transition drill. This has been awhile for me and I'm glad I revisited it. This drill gets the eyes snapping and can lead to some great realizations.

Everything starts with the eyes. Once I explained part 2 to Chad he dropped 2 seconds in time. I couldn't remember part 2 until my second run. When I did remember my times dropped considerably also. PM Brian after you do part 1 and hell give you part 2.

This kinda sums up were I'm at. I feel I'm teetering close to full on M/GM ability. There are a couple training scars left from years of wrong, but I'm slowly getting things right and KNOW the deal. My shooting speed/hits are good and things just click when I let my vision dictate. That's my biggest hurdle. It's the one scar that is very hard to get over 100%.

I shot a classifier match today at Warsaw and think I managed a couple Master class runs along with some high 70%'s. I should have reshot paper poppers, but didn't. I did reshoot Fluffies revenge. Those two stages were terrible draws and fumbled up. I had a Mike on one stage, but the run was all me, so I didn't reshoot that one.

I'm pleased to get near the end of the season and record some master class runs. Until this summer I never shot a classifier above 82%.

I am really pleased with this shooting season. I'm thinking go for Master class next summer!!

Edited to add: won Open and looks like HOA also. You'd think I shot barn burners, had some good ones though!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Thanks, that was with a newly reworked turn and draw that I know I can shave several tenths off!! I just haven't put in the required reps yet.

I should have reshot paper poppers. I couldn't find an RO and didn't want to stick around. Pretty sure I can run that into the low 2's easy.

I'm at a kinda break over point I feel. I'm seeing everything I need to see. I'm transitioning well and most of these things come down to smooth efficient movement. When I ran it for match I was all jacked up. Terrible draw (rushing) led to a horrible grip led to a make up on last popper. It didn't help going first everytime, but I really have a hard time using that as an excuse, I will though, hahaha.

On Fluffy reshoot, it was just Daniel and his wife? I think as RO's. . Very relaxed, no rushing. This is hard for me to duplicate outside of practice. It's something I've gotten better at controlling.

Being relaxed is not as big a deal for me shooting stages as I can adjust some things on the move and make up little glitches. I also completely relax when i start moving my feet. Its hard to describe. But On classifiers I've battled it and feel I'm getting to the break over point. I really feel this season has reset the groundwork (training scars) and I'm well on my way to some of my best shooting.

Edited by Chris iliff

Wow! Looks like I will be shooting one more major!! Michigan Section here I come!!

Edited to say: I now officially stand at 81% after Warsaw Classifier Match. Master is in my wheelhouse and I'm excited about this. I should have re shot Paper Poppers. Arghh!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

3rd A, 7th in Open, 13 overall at Michigan State. Great match.

Feel like I took one step back after two forward. 79% of winner Chris Keen. Wanted 85% of winner

Overall, it's improvement, just wanted more I guess. Did not stay on the dot enough and relapsed to some old habits. Shot way too many D's and prayers. I'm trending good just want more.

Consistency is key and I go up and down during a match. Got to get the mental side beefed up and short stroke my stage pendulum so to speak. Too wide an arc.

This was my last Major of the year. I'm pleased with all my progress this year. It's getting more difficult to improve and refine the little things. That's a good place to be.

It was good seeing you again brother. This was a tough match and you shot well.

Thanks Micah! I know the term "deceptively simple" gets bantered around about matches quite a bit, but this one fit the bill. It was good talking with you. We are fortunate to be in a sport with good people to meet up with at matches.

It was a last minute decision to sign up and the whole thing felt pretty rushed start to finish, but I'm glad I shot it. It was a great match!!