Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fourtrax's Range Report

Chris iliff

Ahhg, it's hot again.

I strapped the .22 racegun on and shot 7 out of ten in a paster at 7 yards.

Did som entry's to 3 plates. Trying to get my foot work a little better. Usually I stop on the fault line with outside foot. I worked on planting the inside foot and easing into the shooting position.

Next up it was transitions. Worked on keeping the turret and moving at the knees, plus snapping the eyes.

I am drenched and it was a good little .22 practice.

Haven't got my racegun back yet, should be any day. Can't wait.

• Replies 909
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got me gun back, SWEET!!!

Took some rounds and chronographed them. The Same rounds that were giving me 173 PF in my old barrel.

Rounds now Chrono at 175 PF. I can't figure it. I guess the new barrel is a lot faster, even with 2 Poppleholes. I got to sight it in now, it's an inch low and an inch to the left.

I hate sighting in Cmores. Ahhg!!!

Edited to say: I sighted it in. I did it a 17 yards. I like this distance and it is a sweet spot for those 50 yard targets. I shot my best 3 shot group ever tonight. I should shoot groups more. I know this isn't great but 1 shot was in the paster, one just touching and the last just outside. My 12 inch plate at 50 yards got dinged 3 for 3. Dot resting on bottom of plate perfectly centered, boooyah!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Loaded 300 rounds, dropped my load to 7.2 grains. Might even go lower. Really want a sweet 171-173 PF. I need to get some springs and do some timing drills. Right now I'm running a 9lb ISMI recoil spring.

Dryfired surrender and relaxed draw and reloads. Felt good. Did T/draw and that felt good. Didn't push much, just made sure mechanics were good.

Work on the range tonight. Chain sawed up a tree that fell and stacked the wood.

There are very few products i believe in 100%. I would make a terrible salesman. But, there are a few products I could sell with a clear conscious. Here they are in no particular order:

Stihl chainsaws

STI guns

Cmore's

Grasshopper lawn mowers

Dillon reloading equipment

Dryfired draws and T/draw and also reloads. Also draw to WH. WH draw a little iffy, new Magwell feels different, I worked it out.

Doing the squirt of Dillon case lube in my compensator to prevent buildup. I'll report how that works moving forward.

I have more yard work/range work tomorrow, don't know if I'll shoot or not. I will be shooting a lot this weekend. Going to be fun.

Did my yard work and some more clean up of the range. My grass is greening up nicely, but the yard is still brown in large areas.

Chrono'd some more rounds. 7.0 grains Autocomp, 124gr MG CMJ, 1.165 OAL. This new barrel continues to surprise me, especially with the Poppleholes. This load came in at 170.3 PF for the 3 slowest velocities of the string I shot. I've got to start believing this new Chrono, but it's hard. I'll definitely find out at State in 2 weeks!!

My plan is 171-173 PF. I had dropped powder back to 7.2gr now I'm going to drop it to 7.1gr. No sense in beating the gun up needlessly. I hate this stuff. I don't like dialing in loads or Cmores!!!! Once I get it set I won't dick with it again, hopefully for YEARS!!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Chad and Rob came over and we had a good practice. I shot about 250 rounds.

We did Dot Torture to start the day. Best I've done to date, wasn't clean, but I'll take it.

Next up was El Presidente, didn't record a PB, but did have some runs in the mid 5's with a few dropped Charlie's

Near to far drill. Nothing spectacular just solid shooting. I ran it both ways and I'm at mid 3's.

Movement drill. Good drill worked on easing into position and planting inside leg. Also gun up.

Bill Drills. Nothing was a keeper, but I did have most of my runs in the 1.90's. This is still a work in progress.

Two reload WH to plate machine. Again, nothing spectacular. Trying to groove in my Magwell, it feels different WH. Also did SH plate machine reload WH two to a paper.

Did 10 shot group to 50yard 12" plate. Went 10 for ten.

Today felt good. What's better than shooting with good people? Well,.... Maybe one or two things!!

Edited to say: Rob let me shoot his CZ SP01 Shadow. SWEET, just doesn't do it justice. I need to rethink my SS plans when I make Master. Might go this route!!

Edited by Chris iliff

200 rounds.

Started with Dot Torture. No happy, it is what it is. SH only dot was horrendous, only 2 in, Ahhg!! Other dots showed improvement. I hit strong hand for about 30 more rounds. Not happy with it at all right now. Did manage some nice groups, but that should have been the first time.

Near to far. Forget the timer. This is a trigger drill. Used the start beep and ran this both ways 4-5 times each. again not happy, what happened to my trigger? Really had to take my time on those 25 yard plates, middle target(partial) and hoser target we're no problem, A's all the way. I finally managed 1 magazine (4reps) all A's except for a missed plate.

Movement drill. This was a highlight. I ran it both ways twice and broke into the 8's clean once, starting left. Other runs we're good in mid 9's, one run had a makeup steel.

25 yard plates. This came about because I felt crappy about my performance on the plates during the near to far drill. Ok, it's kinda a highlight as I remember going slower at 10 yards, lol. So mid 6's with one makeup from the draw. I know it ain't much, but I don't think I've ever done it much, so it's a starting point.

I think I heard Brian or someone say you just can't shoot enough plates at 25 yards. I'm gonna throw it in the rotation.

How far are you running the Dot Torture? Ive never done it but have some printed out for tonight. Website says 3 yards?

Great minds!!! I just printed out 3 for tonight :)

Previously I did them at 3 yds like the site says. I'm torn whether to stay at 3 for consistency, or go to 5 or 7...

Assuming I can get out of work when I want (always difficult), I plan to be at FWRR @ ~3:30.

-rvb

7 yards.

I talked with Pat Harrison about it. It's definitely not a timed drilled. I do use start beep though. Pat suggested once you clean it at 7 yards to move it back to 10 yards. I think I posted my first target in Dot Torture Drill thread, it's ugly.

Here it is again, those are 3" circles.

173e809d.jpg

I run it how Pat prescribes. Top circle is just 6 shots in a row. It's not from draw, as Pat says, it's a sight in/grip check circle.

Have fun!!!

Edited by Chris iliff

I dunno... I like some time pressure for everything but the first group. I don't see why to even bother with the reloads and draws if I give myself all the time in the world to make the hits; it's just shooting groups at that point. I use a cumulative comstock time* for the whole drill minus the first dot. I do believe the focus needs to be getting all the hits, not the time.

* I dont yet have a baseline because I've never remembered to rehit the start button on every string, or I've goofed and accidently cleared it between strings. Hoping to fix that tonight.

The good thing about shooting drills is you can always be free to modify to your needs/goals.

The circles in the printed pdf from the link I sent you a while back has 2" circles IIRC.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I hear you Ryan. It's funny, I still feeeel time pressure eventhough I've never looked. I ran it tonight, best I've done so far. SH is killing me, WH is normally pretty good, go figure. 2 reload 2 kicked my butt tonight. I have to remember to aim at the top of the circle, I get going and my eyes are drawn to the center of the circle, which drops my shots low because of my Cmore sight in distance of 17 yards.

After the Dot Torture I did 3 shot groups at 10 yards. Several good doubles. I'm working on the triple and will get it. Group shooting is something I am working on and will get better at.

Next up was plates at 25 yards. 7 seconds guarantees 6 in a row. My goal is 5 seconds consistently. I can run it between 5-6 with make ups, but I want NO MAKE UPS.

170 rounds fired. Good practice.

Loaded up some rounds for tomorrow. Going to Oxford!!

Did some dryfire. Draws, reloads, WH & SH. Not much just enough to feel grooved in a little.

Stripped gun and cleaned it. Got in on a free bottle of weapons lubricant called MFR7. I used it during re assembly. Will do a write up on it after the Oxford match. All I can say now is it is very watery and has a strong oily/chemical smell. Suppose to penetrate really well and the carrier is suppose to evaporate quickly leaving lube in place. Also some claims on preventing carbon build up. We will see about that one definitely, my comp is a carbon trap!

Read a little Bill Drill article my Dad had posted in his gun room. Thought it was interesting as I was just discussing with Rob about EXACTLY what a Bill drill is. What I thought was interesting was Mr. Enos comments in the article that under 2 seconds is Master level times. Damn, I'm right there. SEEing is key brothers, let's strive to see!!

Edited by Chris iliff

Oxford was a great match. Different flavor and it was a nice change of pace. I'll definitely go back. The bays aren't huge but they make the most of each one.

They had 2 good field course type stages and one that was basically a field course, but consisted of just straight forward movement and lots of no shoots. I didn't get any video.

They received a batch of targets that were made wrong. The perfs were all on the white side. So white guys good to go. Brown was the no shoot. It was interesting to say the least. Everyone seemed to adjust quickly.

I had a great squad with Keen, Simmons, Boncquet, Colin, Monica and some shooters I didn't know. Everyone worked.

I planned to go fast today and push my limit. I did. Don't expect anything great as far as scores go. I had some no shoot hits and a couple Mikes. Had to get that FAST itch out of the system before State.

Shooting with a GM is always eye opening. I study them when I get the chance. Keen can do some extraordinary things. The best was the last stage. He completely voided a position, hit a popper at 15 yards that no amount of contortion would allow me to shoot, and smoked my time by 4-5 seconds. It was a damn circus act run that I still can't figure. Honestly, that popper shot was a side show exhibit. I couldn't help my smile after his run. It was awesome, high five time!! Gotta love it!

I had some good runs today. Not my best performance by far, but a great day on the range.

Chad came over. We set up an easy 2 position drill with 3 targets, one a tight partial, at each position We worked on all A's and SEEING. I really felt good shooting. Wasn't going to shoot today, I was going to mow. Guess I'll mow tomorrow.

Very good practice.

SEEING is the end all!!

SEEING is the end all!!

Thought of you and some of the conversations we've had when I was reading this.... this is a good quick read....

http://pistol-training.com/archives/6506

-rvb

Yes it is. I ascribe to it myself. I am ramping it up trying to stay in that 90% during matches.

I've long thought the "go slow and get your hits" mantra was crap. In fact I cringe whenever I here that line doled out to a shooter. The opposite is false also. The "go fast and the hits will come" dogma, the caveat being it will happen if you are shooting a lot. Unfortunately, we all know shooters who go fast, miss a lot, year after year. I think that's because they only shoot occasionally.

The "check" on speed is the 90%. So I keep pushing my speed, hovering around 90% and getting better. Sometimes I even let it go during a match, if it's a local.

Another thing I find helpful is what I call shoot and go. Basically it's do everything fast, shoot for points. There are many names for it. It helps me.

Thanks for posting