Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead vs jacketed bullets

genbrad

Does anyone have a preference between lead bullets and jacketed bullets? I was told 45s aren't moving fast enough to warrant the use of gas checks and they are half the price. Just for targets, i use RN stuff right now jacketed but am interested in lead

Does anyone have a preference between lead bullets and jacketed bullets? I was told 45s aren't moving fast enough to warrant the use of gas checks and they are half the price. Just for targets, i use RN stuff right now jacketed but am interested in lead

Cast, Moly, GatorSnot bullets all fly faster with less powder, the softer bullet also wears the barrel less, they are accurate, sometimes easier to get. A little less expensive.

I use http://www.bayoubullets.net and http://precisionbullets.com/ in my limited guns and SS.

I have shot the bayou bullets in my open gun a 1400fps with no issues.

If you do a search you will find a lot of discussion on this topic.

way back when i shot a lot of lead thru an opengun, great cost savings, downside was twofold, the comp got leaded up pretty bad andthe groups were more like patterns, switched to plated, comp now iant getting leaded and groups are starting to look like groups, went to true jacketed and the groups shrunk!!!

nowadays your biggest reason to shoot lead is cost savings, as was posted earlier, depending on who's lead you are using it mite lead up your barrel, and the lube will make a mess out of your dies, i shoot lead out of everything i own with littleto no probs, did have a Glock 30 that was a 'true' Glock, it absolutly hated lead, i could stagger em in a mag and it would be the lead rounds that screwed things up

better than a gas check, go with MG's CMJ's

The disadvantages are smoke, dirty guns, sometimes dirty dies.

My bullets don't smoke, won't dirty the gun if properly fitted to the groove diameter matched to the powder and using quality lube, and don't leave much residue on the seating die. Most of the .45 I load and sell is lead. My lead .45 outsells the FMJ (plated) 5 to 1.

ETA: That being said. 90% of the time I shoot lead. The only jacketed bullet I shoot is the XTP and that's only for my defense handloads and the occasional hunting load when I feel like not using lead. Lead wheelweights are 55 cents per pound locally which means an hour's labor and I have a thousand bullets for $20 including lube. Also despite Internet folklore, lead bullets can be pushed faster with less pressure than any jacketed or plated bullet. Ask any ballistician. They will confirm this.

Edited by freakshow10mm

Often not. YMMV. :huh:

Which part is "often not"?? Accuracy? or Cheaper than Jacketed?

For RN bullets that the OP is talking about using, Berry's 230s are double struck for improved symmetry, and I don't realize a noticeable accuracy loss compared to FMJs. They're probably only slightly cheaper than Montana Golds, but I've been so pleased with the performance of Plated, I've had no reason to switch.

Edited by markm87

I actually shoot both. The lead in .45 is a lot cheaper. You guys with the "no smoke" lead and moly bullets, post some video. I hear the no smoke all the time. I've never witnessed it. I can watch a squad shoot from 50 feet away and tell who's shooting lead and who's shooting FMJ.

I'll start a thread for it here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106755

Moly coated SWCs from Bear Creek and Clays has been a great combo for me. I'm pretty sure there are some minor puffs of smoke, but nothing that I've ever noticed once the buzzer goes off. Unfortunately I'm camera shy, and no video proof...

On the other hand, BBI moly bullets with WST... smoke! But all of my shooting is outdoors, and I only notice the smoke when shooting into into the sun in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

I started loading 45 ACP with lead when I stopped getting free hardball from the Goverment. It's trouble free, look back you will find 45 caliber lead bullets used in handguns for what, 125 years ? Guess you could say they are well proven. You do have to clean the gun and they do smoke.

Boats

I've been shooting bullets lubed with Lee Liquid Alox a lot lately, and there really is very little smoke with it.

I prefer to use NRA formula 50% Alox 2138F/50% Beeswax, but it does smoke a lot in lower pressure cartridges. On an outdoor range, the smoke is not a problem. In higher pressure cartridges, such as the .357 Magnum, there is every little smoke.

I shoot Speer swaged lead 230 LRN in .45 ACP from 1911s and M&P. Unlike cast bullets they do not have a waxy external lube to cause smoke and gum up chambers. They use a hard lube that is very clean. I've shot them on indoor ranges, in dim light matches, with no issues. Unlike cast bullets they are formed by pushing a lead alloy rod through a forming die. That results in greater consistency in weight, since there is no chance for an air bubble to form. They are not as accurate as quality jacketed stuff, but every bit as accurate as plated bullets, and a bit less expensive. At 750 fps, leading is minimal, at most. Clays is an excellent powder for this bullet.

Chris Christian

Edited by Chris Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Often not. YMMV. :huh:

Which part is "often not"?? Accuracy? or Cheaper than Jacketed?

For RN bullets that the OP is talking about using, Berry's 230s are double struck for improved symmetry, and I don't realize a noticeable accuracy loss compared to FMJs. They're probably only slightly cheaper than Montana Golds, but I've been so pleased with the performance of Plated, I've had no reason to switch.

I believe often not is referring to them being cheaper. For example, the 180grn RNFP double struck berrys, right now. 5000 rounds of berry's = $600.50 + shipping, Montana gold 180gr CMJ = $600, shipping included. FMJs shave another $10 off.

If you have a local distributor type who stocks them by the pallet load, things might be different, but other than group buys, or gaming cabelas coupons, I've never managed to get them for cheaper than several jacketed brands that cater to higher volume shooters.

Edited by raz-0

• 2 weeks later...

Just for targets, i use RN stuff right now jacketed but am interested in lead

You might consider plated bullets. With plated you get decent accuracy and they're cheaper than Jacketed.

I usually get a lot better accuracy with cast lead in the 45 acp vs plated. My theory is most plated bullets have a swaged core which is soft and may not grip the rifling as well. Just my experience.

Pat

I'm casting (no pun intended)my vote for FMJ or even better, fully encapsulated bullets. Being a 'clean freak' with my 1911's, the price difference between lead and jacketed just isn't worth it for me.

Montana Gold are great bullets, made even better if you can go in on a large purchase with your shootin buddies, which is what I do, and get an even better price break

THG :cheers:

I am adding a vote for the cast lead, but it is because my family shoots a lot of Cowboy Action and we can only use lead (aloy) there. At this time I have 200gr RNFP, 230gr RN, 250gr RNFP and 250gr SWC on the shelf. I will be using all of those in the ACP, even though I have not worked up a load for the 250's yet.

As for smoke, It does not bother me sice I shoot CAS with Black Powder :devil: