Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Becoming an RO

Corey

That's a good point LeRoy...especially when the rulebook goes through major transitions. Often the reason there aren't more classes in more places is that it is hard to fill them to the point where they are feasible. Folks taking a refresher can really help fill out the class.

Besides, it is a weekend of hanging out with shooters. Hard to beat that.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend taking the RO class to everyone. Even if you never hold the timer, it makes you a better competitor. How can knowing the rules of your sport be a bad thing?

My take on the class was that they wanted to give you a brief introduction to the rules, but a thorough introduction to the rulebook. You don't need to memorize any of the rules, you just need to know how to find them in the book.

That's a good take on what a level one seminar is all about. There is no way we can teach you all the rules, or all the possible situations where a Range Officer will have to make a call. We do try to give a basic understanding of the safety rules and where to look in the book for particular information. Several people have stated it here: there is no substitute for experience in becoming a good RO, so after attending a level one seminar, get out and work some matches--doesn't matter what level or what job you do, it's all good.

I'll be trying to re-educate Leroy this weekend. :cheers:

Troy

How can knowing the rules of your sport be a bad thing?

Heck, it is the shooters resposability to know the rule book. Might as well learn it better and go for an RO certificate at the same time. Right?

Joe W.

I took the RO class and was certified earlier this year and I am sad to report that it has not helped my shooting one little bit. :(

It has made me a better competitor and much, much more aware of what is going on during a match. It has made me more interested in the workings of the match and how other competitors approach stages. It has also made me much more aware of safety and safe gun handling. :)

But, the actual shooting just remains the same.

I believe the class that will make me a better shooter will cost a lot more.

Although, what I got from the RO class was a bargain. :rolleyes:

My girlfriend and I are taking the class in NC at Pitt County next month, look forward to seeing the SC shooters come up, and everyone else, Pitt County puts on a great match and I'm sure the class will be first rate as well

That's a good take on what a level one seminar is all about. There is no way we can teach you all the rules, or all the possible situations where a Range Officer will have to make a call. We do try to give a basic understanding of the safety rules and where to look in the book for particular information. Several people have stated it here: there is no substitute for experience in becoming a good RO, so after attending a level one seminar, get out and work some matches--doesn't matter what level or what job you do, it's all good.

Troy

My ex said I was untrainable and she sure tried hard. Well I did get a rule book for the reading room so in 4 to 5 months I should be ready for some on the job training beyond local shooters. Loved the new Powerpoint presentation especially the IPSC monkey.

Troy

My ex said I was untrainable and she sure tried hard. Well I did get a rule book for the reading room so in 4 to 5 months I should be ready for some on the job training beyond local shooters. Loved the new Powerpoint presentation especially the IPSC monkey.

powerpoint AND a monkey?!?! :goof: do share!

I have only been an RO a little over 1 year and shooting USPSA a little bit longer than that. I recommend always having a rulebook in your bag.

Our range has many RO's with decades of experience and I have learned many things from most of them, but they are not always up on the most current rules. Since I only know the most current rules (at least a year ago), without a rulebook I am usually not taken seriously.

Troy

powerpoint AND a monkey?!?! :goof: do share!

Troy brought his presentation on a laptop that plugged into the club's flatscreen TV while last time it was a slide show. Using powerpoint Troy was able to show several video clips of shooter/RO interaction and penalties, right/wrong, how many. The IPSC monkey was like the moving dueling drinking emoticons. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

I just completed the RO class held in NC taught by George Jones. The class was great and I know I still have a lot to learn. George was a great instructor and I am excited to start officially "RO'ing" at our local matches (once I complete the final exam).

If anyone had doubts on becomming an RO, don't hesitiate to take the plunge.

Edited by CPUFIXER

I just completed the RO class held in NC taught by George Jones. The class was great and I know I still have a lot to learn. George was a great instructor and I am excited to start officially "RO'ing" at our local matches (once I complete the final exam).

I was in George's class this weekend and I have to agree, it was great. While sitting and listening for 8 hours is not a lot of fun, George works with the crowd and keeping it interesting. Every shooter would benefit by becoming an RO.

George, do you have any more 'trunk monkeys'?

Dwight

+1 to what has already been said. Course work is easy. It is getting out there and doing the work of the RO that is hard. Fortunately I had some great support in fellow RO's and shooters. Now I'm paying that forward by encouraging and supporting others to do the same as I did. Helps them, helps the sport, and helps other RO's as it spreads the load. Ask anyone who works matches where there are not enough RO's!

I was nervous my first few times, then nervous again when I worked a Section Match. Ended up looking forward to doing an Area. Now I have a handful of Area's under my belt and feel almost ready to do Nats if they ever come to the East coast....

I was just curious as to how hard it actually was to become an RO. I know there are classes, tests, stage designing involved. Is there anything else? What does the test consist of? I see a lot of people quoting rules a lot on here, which is great, but do you all actually have them all memorized word for word?

To all the ROs, especially those who have become one recently, how hard is it to get everything done?

I think the class is very worthwhile, and the instructor that I had kept it interesting throughout. I learned ALOT!!! Mostly what we were not doing right at our club matches. I stand by rules are rules, and it should not matter if it is at your local club match or the Handgun Nationals, rules, especially thoese related to safety, must be followed and enforced. I engourage you to have your club bring in an instructor and have the class. It only takes a weekend, the test is simple (if you have an ounce of common sense) and as I said earlier, well worth it!

I was in George's class this weekend and I have to agree, it was great. While sitting and listening for 8 hours is not a lot of fun, George works with the crowd and keeping it interesting. Every shooter would benefit by becoming an RO.

George, do you have any more 'trunk monkeys'?

Dwight

Hey, Dwight, where'd you get that picture of George to use as your avatar? :devil:

Troy

Yup, it is pretty easy to become an RO. Hard part is often performing the task. How thick skinned are you? How willing are you to be the bad guy at matches and possibly with close friends? You will be called upon to make tough and often unpopular calls that will be unpleasant. It's worth the time and headaches to me but that is the question I think you should really be asking before you jump into it.

Well it is OFFICIALY official, I am a RO. lol Got my packet quite awhile back but seeing my name on the list of ROs in the newest issue of Front Sight. And from the looks of it there are a LOT of new ROs this issue. Now to get a few Level II+ matches under my belt I will get things underway for my CRO mid-next year if all goes well. :cheers:

Joe W.