Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have an ancient desk top that we finally pulled everything off the drives that we need.......Now, what is the best way to 'kill' the hard drive completely of its contents......??????

TIA

"Erasing" a hard drive is a bit of a misnomer. What you need to do is to replace the current data with new data. There are several programs that do this by writing random 1's and 0's on the whole hard drive to replace the data. After that, you can destroy it, donate it, whatever with it.

Google it and you will find a myriad of options.

ajg308 had it right, what you actually need to do is use a utility that will overwrite every sector on the drive with filler data (most programs just write repeating 0's or 0's and 1's) so that you cannot easily recover the data by using a simple "undelete" command. You can try this one but a google search will show you lots of alternatives (way back in the day, this was one of the things you used Norton Utilities for...)

BTW - you'd probably do just as well to pull the drives and use them as an impromptu target as long as you police up the range :lol:

-jared

parents got a new desktop a few years ago. i took the old one out back with a 15lb sledge hammer. man i felt good later that day, haha. I do like the target idea as well tho! video it if you shoot it!

Google the term "DOD Wipe" and there are a bunch of free softwares out there that will write 1's and 0's to the drive. You will need to make at least three passes to ensure that everything is removed.

That being said, if you are not going to sell or re-use the drive, physical destruction is the only sure fire method. Smack it HARD several times with a sledgehammer and make sure you have some eye protection on....

The reason this works is that most newer hard drive platters are fairly brittle and will shatter if you smack them hard enough. "...(Hard drive) Platters are typically made using an aluminum or glass and ceramic substrate." (from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_platter)

If you open the drive before hitting it you will get glass or ceramic dust everywhere. (not that I have ever had that happen.... :rolleyes: )

If you hit it several times and it sounds like a maraca when you shake it...you have succeed. If it does not make noise after several hits, take it apart and destroy the platters themselves as they are probably aluminum.

Edited by Classic_jon