Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Salt shaker woes

mildot1

Running Dawson pads with STI mags. 9mm major and using spacers.

Every great once in awhile ,when I load them full the bottom round slides off the side of the follower locking everything up.

After reading the Bolens ad at Shooters connection I understand why.

What is the deal with the Arredondo type insert's? do they prevent this prob?

I am not seeing the sense in trying to get more rounds in by using a thinner follower as I see the results being the same. Once they go down past the mag ribs the problem will happen before I get the extra rounds in.

Any help in finding the fix would be great.

Mildot

PS: Don't tell me to get them tuned please, the cash ain't there right now and I figure there is plenty nuff smarts on this forum!

Hello: The STI 9mm/38 mags have a problem with the crimp that is in the side of the mag tube. It does not run down far enough to control the round when you add a lengthened base pad. Savvy? What happens is the tube gets wider below the crimp allowing the round to fall over the follower. A simple solution is to use Dawson followers and ISMI springs. The Dawson follower does not fall over as easily as the Bolen or Grams. Another solution is to run the crimp down further towards the base pad. Lastly you could just use standard flat base pads and problem solved. Hope this helps. Thanks,Eric

I run some STI 140's with Grams guts and Grams 11mm bases on them. Without the Arrendando inserts I can get 25 rounds in them and they'll go salty every time! Usable is 21 to start, 20 to reload to because 21 is right on the edge. If I reload to one with 21 in it there's better than a 50% chance it'll go shaker. I put the inserts in and they run 23 rounds dead reliable. For the few bucks they cost I'd say give them a try. Oh, and these mags are for my 9 Open blasters.

Yes the Arredondo inserts will fix the problem and I also get 23 rounds....100% reliable with that combo. I've also got a couple set up with Dawson +1 pads, 13-coil Grams springs and they're an easily reloadable 22-rounds that run forever....on insert needed. R,

Beven tuned my 9mm 140s and 170. Easily reloadable 23 (no expanding the body to get extra capacity and they shoot in and out of the gun) 140 mags with his 11mm pads, 13-coil springs and followers and welded-in spacers. 170's a reloadable 29 with 4mm pad and 13-coil spring/follower.

I'd go to his the Grams 13-coil spring and follower to start with.

Hrm. How many rounds did you try to stuff? Wonder if he extended the ribs.

Irrespective, the OP's using Dawson basepads, which are, what, 4mm-equivalent (+1)? I'd think the 13-coil would stack enough to prevent it

BTW, reason I went with the 11mm is I got a deal on 'em and love the way they feel compared to the 4mm ones on my Limited mags.

Hrm. How many rounds did you try to stuff? Wonder if he extended the ribs.

Irrespective, the OP's using Dawson basepads, which are, what, 4mm-equivalent (+1)? I'd think the 13-coil would stack enough to prevent it

BTW, reason I went with the 11mm is I got a deal on 'em and love the way they feel compared to the 4mm ones on my Limited mags.

Just loading them to 23 the follower would roll. Yeah, with the Dawson +1 (not SNL) and a 13-coil it's a good bet they'll be okay, but maybe only 22 rounds (how mine worked out). Honestly, I don't really care much after 22 rounds...if I need more I'll just use a downloaded big stick and not worry about it. R,

Arredondo spacers for 9mm are plastic and have a flap that is part of the spacer That flap folds over and fills that gap after the ribs stop. The plastic has a natural lubricity so their is very little resistance between the rim and the spacer and because they are light they can be glued in easily and will not jar loose. I have been running them for a long time and they work 100%.

Tim

Don't stuff more than 20 rounds in a 140 and the problem is solved. If you need more than 20, use a 170.

Listen to John he is smarter than he looks. Thats what I do as well only 20 in the 140's need more use a 170.

Yes the Arredondo inserts will fix the problem and I also get 23 rounds....100% reliable with that combo. I've also got a couple set up with Dawson +1 pads, 13-coil Grams springs and they're an easily reloadable 22-rounds that run forever....on insert needed. R,

SVI Tube Dawson +2 in the pretty purple Grams 13 Coil Kit 24 9 mm 25 38SC rounds relaodable 100% reliable. Like most SVI tubes you do have to take a file to the follower so it will come up far enough to get the last round to feed. May not be legal in Limited division.

As has already been stated the short ribs are the source of the problem. Pre ban STI tubes do not have the issue at all nor do ANY SV tubes. I ditched my STI tubes a long time ago due to the potential for this to occur at the worst possible time. By the way, the potential for this to occur increases as your springs break in.

SVI Tube Dawson +2 in the pretty purple Grams 13 Coil Kit 24 9 mm 25 38SC rounds relaodable 100% reliable. Like most SVI tubes you do have to take a file to the follower so it will come up far enough to get the last round to feed. May not be legal in Limited division.

Since Dawson no longer makes the +2 base pad, which base pad would be an appropriate substitute for this configuration?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick: The Grams 11mm works great with SVI 140mm mags. It gives more space than the old Dawson +2's. Thanks, Eric

Yup, SVI 140mm tubes and 11mm Grams base pads with 11 coil Bolen springs and followers = 25 rounds of 38SC. Reloadable too. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

SV tubes can turn into salt shakers if the rib is not modified in some way. Howard did my 140's and apparently uses some type of die to smooth the transition at the the rib. On my SV 170's it took a little massaging and considerable polishing to make them 100% with 30 rounds of 9.

Even though my 140's hold 24 (7mm Bolens) and my 170's hold 30, I rarely run them stuffed. I just don't see need to put that much pressure on them all the time.

I agree with Boz on this one, if you don't NEED that one extra round don't force it. Sooner or later something is going to break and it will likely be the grip on your gun, at the very least you will roll the follower over and wind up with a $200+ baby rattle.

Joe W.