Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 Ideal Trigger Weight for 3gun

suesstech

TT350z,

I see you mentioned Timney, just curious what product you used? (drop-in, etc.) I just wondered because they are a local company. How do they hold up compared to JP triggers?

The Timney is a drop in. I went that route because I didn't want to fiddle with anything and they lock down on the pins preventing them from walking/rotating.

I've had no issues with it doubling or light primer strikes. Breaks like glass and super short reset and the price is right.

I can't comment on the JP as I've never shot one. It's leap and bounds better than the RRA 2 stage.

Pick the trigger of your choice Single or Two stage that takes std trigger springs then buy the JP kits and get as light as you can without doubling. I myself had to go up to the "4.0" spring set from JP as I'd get the odd double with the "3.5" set.

Pick the trigger of your choice Single or Two stage that takes std trigger springs then buy the JP kits and get as light as you can without doubling. I myself had to go up to the "4.0" spring set from JP as I'd get the odd double with the "3.5" set.

Not a bad idea. I was tyhinking about getting a new trigger for mine, but maybe I'll get this kit first and seeing what I can do. my trigger breaks pretty clean, just a bit heavy.

Using a Rock River NM 2-stage. Breaks at 4 lbs, just slightly lighter than my Glock trigger. IMHO, especially when transitioning from pistol to rifle, this setup reduces the chances of doubling or premature firing.

Am I the only one that got light primer strikes using the JP yellow springs? :ph34r:

Tried them awhile ago and about half a mag would be light strikes

That will happen if you use a standard hammer. With a lightened hammer, it won't happen.

3# JP fire control group. As a relatively new shooter I can tell you the JP fire control group is the best single stage trigger I have put in my hands. It is a little more finicky to put in the gun, but I have over 5K rounds on mine and am very pleased.

I have a Chip McCormick single stage modular trigger that breaks at 3.25 lbs in my Ar-15 and really like it. It has run great with zero problems since I installed it several years ago. The single stage is crisp with very little take up. I find it easier to control than a two stage trigger.

Phil G

Good info guys. Glad I asked. I'm going with a JP fire control setup, so it's nice to have all of this info.

Best trigger there is. Mine make me grin time and time again!