Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan vs. Spartan? Noticable performance/accuracy/reliablity differen

seeds76

For those of you that own both Trojans and Spartans, is there a noticable difference that justifies $300? Accuracy? Performance? Reliability?

I plan on getting one for IDPA/USPSA matches. I\'m a shooter so I don\'t really care about the cosmetic differences of the gun.

Thanks

I run a Spartan and I think it's the biggest bang for your dollar of just about any gun out there. With the Trojan you'll get a better fit amd finish (cosmetic), better front sight, and the biggest difference is the ramped barrel.

The Trojan is also available in .40 which the Spartan is not... yet ??

Use the search feature on this forum for the Spartan. Both the 9mm and the .45 seem to be wonderful. Also, STI stands behind their products.

At least they aren't standing in front of it. Ah, I crack me up. :lol:

10,000 struggling comedians in the world and this guy is crackin jokes, haha :sight::lol:

as for the topic at hand, im still kicking myself for not buying the last spartan 45 i saw in the classifieds. Now that i sold another one of my guns, the next nice one i see, im snagging, haha. Ive heard nothing but good things about STIs in geeneral (some may require soem internal MIM part replacement) and the partan seems like a great budget single stack gun, especially if you plan to tinker or modify things (im a growing tinkerer)

You guys are not helping my impatience while I await delivery of my 9mm Spartan from Brazos. I have at least two more weeks to wait before it should show up. I bought the last one that Bob had at the Area 6 match.

I'm really looking forward to that first trip to the range. I have .45ACP 1911;s but none in 9mm. This should be fun! :)

Kent: You will love the Spartan 9mm and how a 9mm 1911 shoots. Then you will have to decide what bullet weight works best for you. When I first started shooting it was a Kimber 9mm a friend of mine had. It was a great gun to shoot with factory Blazer at $3.24 a box of 50 :surprise: That was just about 4 years ago. I played around with different pistols since then but there is something about a 9mm 1911 that is magical :cheers: A 45acp 1911 is not bad either. Jury is still out on a 40S&W 1911 for me :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I've owned a customized Trojan in 40 S&W, A Benny Hill customized Spartan in 45acp and I just purchased a new Spartan 9 that Benny Hill did a trigger job on.

If you are wanting a 9mm or 45 I'd go with the Spartan. Trigger job and and a new front sight and you are good to go. Dawson "no gap" magwell and an ambi safety are nice additions. You would probably want to do all of that except the front sight to a Trojan as well.

As long as you are not wanting a 40S&W I'd recommend saving the $$ and going with the Spartan. The frame/slide lockup and barrel bushing etc. is just as tight on the Spartan as the Trojan. Accuracy is great on both pistols.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Kent: You will love the Spartan 9mm and how a 9mm 1911 shoots. Then you will have to decide what bullet weight works best for you. When I first started shooting it was a Kimber 9mm a friend of mine had. It was a great gun to shoot with factory Blazer at $3.24 a box of 50 :surprise: That was just about 4 years ago. I played around with different pistols since then but there is something about a 9mm 1911 that is magical :cheers: A 45acp 1911 is not bad either. Jury is still out on a 40S&W 1911 for me :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Eric, I'll probably just go with the 124 MG JHP that I use for my XD-9 and, with a bit more powder, my .38 Super Open blaster. I hate having to stock a bunch of different weight bullets.

I've owned a customized Trojan in 40 S&W, A Benny Hill customized Spartan in 45acp and I just purchased a new Spartan 9 that Benny Hill did a trigger job on.

If you are wanting a 9mm or 45 I'd go with the Spartan. Trigger job and and a new front sight and you are good to go. Dawson "no gap" magwell and an ambi safety are nice additions. You would probably want to do all of that except the front sight to a Trojan as well.

As long as you are not wanting a 40S&W I'd recommend saving the $$ and going with the Spartan. The frame/slide lockup and barrel bushing etc. is just as tight on the Spartan as the Trojan. Accuracy is great on both pistols.

What is it that you don't like about the front sight? Bob Londrigan is doing an action job on it before he ships it so that's not a problem.

Edited by XD Niner

Kent: The front sight for me is too wide. I like the Dawson 0.100" wide fiber one. That is me some others may like the 0.125" wide front sight. The factory sight also has a large fiber insert maybe a 0.060"? Thanks, Eric

Like Eric mentioned it's wide and it has the big honking .060 F/O. I prefer the .040 F/O and a .90 or .100 front sight width. Just a personal preference but, I don't know too many folks who like the larger diameter F/O.

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Kent: The front sight for me is too wide. I like the Dawson 0.100" wide fiber one. That is me some others may like the 0.125" wide front sight. The factory sight also has a large fiber insert maybe a 0.060"? Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric, now I understand. I use the 0.100 width on my 1911's as well.

I've owned a 9mm 5-inch Trojan for several years and I've been very pleased with it. Nice looking and pleasant to shoot. But the Spartan looks like a great pistol.

I run a Spartan and I think it's the biggest bang for your dollar of just about any gun out there. With the Trojan you'll get a better fit amd finish (cosmetic), better front sight, and the biggest difference is the ramped barrel.

Is there any advantage to the ramped barrel in the Trojan vs the non-ramped barrel in the Spartan? I thought the conventional wisdom was that a ramped barrel was preferred in a 9mm 1911.

With the Trojan you're also paying for the STIppled front strap. This is like having no texture on the front strap IMO and I've covered mine with skateboard tape.

I'm not sure if you care about size, but I've read somewhere that the Trojan has a smaller grip size with an undercut to help with trigger reach.

The Trojan is available with slim grips but it is built on a government model sized frame. It does have an undercut trigger guard.

Rick

edit: spelling

Edited by R A Miller

Hello: Does anyone like the stippling on the Trojan? I am using skate tape on my 2 Spartan's but plan on checkering them myself someday. Thanks, Eric

Ha! Rhetorical question? The Stippling didn't do much for me. Grip tape it!

Is there any advantage to the ramped barrel in the Trojan vs the non-ramped barrel in the Spartan? I thought the conventional wisdom was that a ramped barrel was preferred in a 9mm 1911.

The non ramped guns are just more bullet sensitive where the ramped guns run with a lot more ammo options.

I'd love to see a .40 Spartan. I don't care for the STIpling on the Trojan.

Although I would buy one in a heartbeat, a .40 Spartan may never come to the table as it could greatly effect the Trojan sales .. ;)

Edited by P.Pres

I'd love to see a .40 Spartan. I don't care for the STIpling on the Trojan.

Although I would buy one in a heartbeat, a .40 Spartan may never come to the table as it could greatly effect the Trojan sales .. ;)

I don't understand. Don't you have to know sti's profit margins to know if this is a bad thing. If still sells the Spartan at a bigger margin why would they care.

Edited by hockeyfighter25