Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo OAL for Para P16.40 Limited?

Pro2AInPA

I'm looking at moving from my Glock 35 limited gun to a Para P16.40 Limited.

I have thousands of rounds of ammo loaded with an OAL of 1.125-1.135" for the Glock.

Can I count on this ammo to run in the Para or am I going to have to load new ammo at a longer OAL and have thousands of useless rounds laying around after making the switch to the Para? :wacko:

I wouldn't say you can count on it, but there's a good chance it will run. You're not going to buy a P.16 .40 Limited are you?

I was considering trading my G35 for one . . . why? :ph34r:

I wouldn't trade a G35 for a P.16 and I don't really like Glocks. I like how reliable they are, low maintenance etc, but they beat my fingers to death and index high for me. If I wanted an all-metal Limited gun I'd try to find a Caspian hi-cap or get a Witness Limited. I've got a friend who's nearly a GM in both Limited and Open (like 93% last I knew) who shoots Paras, but he is always working on them to keep them running (or so it seems). The Power Extractor seems like it's backfired on them and there are plenty of people who'e sleeved the extractor tunnel and gone with a standard 1911 extractor or AFTEC to make their gun run.

I'm not saying they're a bad gun, but what you've got is good enough to compete with the best. R,

Yes, you should be OK using that oal ammo in a factory Para barrel. If you go up to 1.15oal you will start to run in to problems.

There are a lot of people on this forum who will tell you no don't get a Para,get a Sti. Paras are good pistols,I have a P-14 and a P-16 and have nothing but good things to say about them. I don't think buying a Sti is going to make me any better of a shooter,they're great pistols but I prefer Para. It depends on the shooters skill, not who has the more expensive pistol. :cheers:

I wouldn't say you can count on it, but there's a good chance it will run. You're not going to buy a P.16 .40 Limited are you?

I was considering trading my G35 for one . . . why? :ph34r:

I wouldn't trade a G35 for a P.16 and I don't really like Glocks. I like how reliable they are, low maintenance etc, but they beat my fingers to death and index high for me. If I wanted an all-metal Limited gun I'd try to find a Caspian hi-cap or get a Witness Limited. I've got a friend who's nearly a GM in both Limited and Open (like 93% last I knew) who shoots Paras, but he is always working on them to keep them running (or so it seems). The Power Extractor seems like it's backfired on them and there are plenty of people who'e sleeved the extractor tunnel and gone with a standard 1911 extractor or AFTEC to make their gun run.

I'm not saying they're a bad gun, but what you've got is good enough to compete with the best. R,

The fact that Glocks are so reliable is why I'm shooting one. I would really prefer an all steel gun for the extra weight.

I do NOT want a gun that I have to be tweaking to get to run.

I think I'll PM CHA-LEE and chat with him about his Witness Limited. :cheers:

My P16 LDA has over 14,000 rounds, and P16 PXT has around 3,000 rounds both like the factory OAL rounds. If you get a Para and just do a little polishing and not monkey with it to much it will run for several years. It may not be as good as a STI, but It cost less than half. Para mags with DP basepads hold 20 loadable, but may need a little cleaning up too.

I have RO'd several level 2 matches and watched a few thousand guns run on my stages and Para's have not showed to be more trouble than S_I guns and better than most others. If you are going to move to OPEN OR Limited, I would highly suggest a STI over the Para, IF YOU ARE GOING TO SEND IT TO A GUNSMITH TO TRICKED IT OUT. Buy the Para and send the rest of the money on ammo.

My Para runs best with OAL 1.15 to 1.155 with the best accuracy coming from 1.155 OAL. My Para is an older model and has a standard extractor and runs just like a Glock. I possible, change the extractor out for an Aftec or try to find a cheap 40 upper with a regular extractor and have it fitted. You would still be coming in much cheaper than buying an STI double stack. Also the mags are cheaper and hold 21 with factory internals and a Dawson base pad.

I've been loading my 16.40 out to 1.2 and haven't had a problem. My only gripe is that I can only use para mag springs. Nothing else seems to work. I've got about 6,000 rounds through it and have fewer problems than some of my friends that are using S_I's.

I've been loading my 16.40 out to 1.2 and haven't had a problem. My only gripe is that I can only use para mag springs. Nothing else seems to work. I've got about 6,000 rounds through it and have fewer problems than some of my friends that are using S_I's.

Either their ammo, or their gunsmith stinks :P Really, neither kind of gun should be having problems if they're set up right and you use decent ammo.

• 2 months later...

I've only ever used standard length 40 in my p16. Never had any sort of feeding issues with 1.130 OAL. Although, the previous post of better accuracy with 1.155length has me intrigued. Anyone else notice any great improvement in accuracy with the longer length? Closer to the lands and thus less free bore I assume?

Ryan

I used my para many years running American Eagle 165's, My reloads were always 1.150, guess I just liked round numbers. I didnt have any complaints but I can build my own guns, I dont think there are many Para parts left in mine.

I'm looking at moving from my Glock 35 limited gun to a Para P16.40 Limited.

I have thousands of rounds of ammo loaded with an OAL of 1.125-1.135" for the Glock.

Can I count on this ammo to run in the Para or am I going to have to load new ammo at a longer OAL and have thousands of useless rounds laying around after making the switch to the Para? :wacko:

I run 1.125-1.130 in mine.

And the gun runs fine.

• 1 month later...

I load .40 MPF loads with 165 and 180 gr. bullets for my 16.40 with an OAL of 1.35" which, I believe, is the length most factory ammo with those weight bullets are loaded at.

I load .40 MPF loads with 165 and 180 gr. bullets for my 16.40 with an OAL of 1.35" which, I believe, is the length most factory ammo with those weight bullets are loaded at.

Did you mean to type 1.135" OAL?

I run 1.18" OAL with Montana Gold 180 CMJ in my pre-PXT Para, but I haven't had a problem with any length attempted so far.

I shoot with a guy whose Para doesn't like any ammo longer than 1.135". YMMV.

Did you mean to type 1.135" OAL?

I run 1.18" OAL with Montana Gold 180 CMJ in my pre-PXT Para, but I haven't had a problem with any length attempted so far.

I shoot with a guy whose Para doesn't like any ammo longer than 1.135". YMMV.

Yes, 1.135 inches. Sorry for the typo, my mother told me that always happen when I try to go too fast.

Edited by Krag

I have been shooting my Para in Limited for two yrs without an issue. I do however have trouble with factory length ammo. I am currently using 170 gr bullets loaded out to 1.140 and it has run flawlessly. I am using factory mags with factory springs and followers and dawson bases. I can get 20 rnds comfortably (eases reloads)and 21 in my starter mag. Just my honest opinion.

• 5 years later...

I have a Pro Custom 16.40 and have been running at 1.125 (new Blazer Brass 180 and 180 Blue Bullet reloads) with no problem. I have two factory magazines with factory springs/followers and Dawson bases; two SPS 140s with Grams springs/followers/bases (for STI) and one MBX 140 (unmolested ... as shipped).

About a month ago I started having an occasional inertia feed (fortunately while practicing) ... on just the SPS mags ... (a bullet would end up in front of the extractor and the slide wouldn't close ... the errant bullet apparently walked out of the magazine as the slide slammed back and then got pushed into the chamber by the slide ... but not underneath the extractor).

Following good advise I (lifted) increased the angle of the top (front leading edge) of the mag springs and the problem went away ... (as they were you could tap the mags on the table and watch the top round walk forward).

Anyhow ... afterwards I measured the OAL of the ammo I was using (when I had the problem) and the entire remaining box was 1.120 and shorter ... some as low as 1.118. The ammo was the last of some leftover Freedom Munitions ammo (reloads) I had originally bought to break in the gun.

I haven't had the problem since ... and have thought about lengthening the OAL on future loads for insurance. I guess my poor tuning of the SPS mags and the short ammo together was a little too much for the Para. The only other "1911" type pistol I have is a 45 and the rounds "fill up" the magazines ... I had never even heard of an "inertia" feed until this happened.

I shoot the same load out of my 16-40 as I did my G35. 180grn LTC at 1.13

Make the switch. The 1911/2011 platform is much better for the game, and easier to shoot. The Para has never cost me anything in a match.