Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help On Dillon 550 Maintenence

I noticed my Dillon RL550 was acting a bit stiff, so I started taking it apart to clean and lube the various moving parts. I found the problem, the link arms are really stiff, I can't find a way to remove them to lube them, Dillon's website says to grease them but doesn't tell you how to get them out, and I don't want to damage anything.

How do you remove the link arm pins for lubrication?

25088319.jpg

By keeping a small amount of machine oil applied to the oil holes since it was new, I've had no problems in the last 2+years/26,000 rounds since then.

However if you aquire one that hasn't been lubricated, the penetrating oil trick will work. Be sure to allow time for it to penetrate and work the rust/grime loose before attempting to drift the pin out. In the FWIW department, try to avoid a steel drift punch. As described earlier, a wooden dowel should do the trick or if particularly stubborn, get a drift made from brass. You just want to be careful and not peen the ends of the links and damage the bearing surfaces.

dj

First,

remove the platform from the top of the shaft, then remove the set screw in the bottom of the shaft. Now, push out the crank/ shaft connecting pin from the bottom of the shaft. this will allow the shaft to slide out the bottom of the frame. Now, the right upper link arm pin is hollow. Use a large nail with the tip ground flat to go through the hollow pin to drive out the solid pin. Now run the punch through hole in the frame to drift out the hollow pin. If necessary, use a wire wheel or sandpaper to remove any metal transferred to the pivot pins. Use axle or wheel bearing grease and heavily grease the following:

holes in the frame

holes in the link arm

pivot pin

then use a hammer to pound the pivot pins back into place. By tradition, the hollow pin goes on the right, but they are dimensionally identical.

You will need an alignment tool to align the platform with the toolhead. Contact Dillon at 1-800-223-4570 for an alignment tool and instructions.

Is there a FAQ for cleaning/maintenance/lubing tips/advice here somewhere?

Like:

Parts that should be lubed periodically and with what.

Assemblies/Parts that should be disassembled for throuoh cleaning.

etc..

The Dillon site has some, the manual has some... I'm looking for 550 info specifically.

Thanks, Dave

I've got the press disassenbled and in a padded vice, everything removed except the pivot pins and the link arms, I tried a 1/4" wooden dowel thru the hole in the right side, it wouldn't budge the left one at all. I sprayed it down good with LPS1 last night, it loosened up quite a bit, but I know that's not a fix, just a band aid.

I'll try Dillon's method this afternoon.

BTW, there aren't any oil holes in this press, it's an old 550, I guess they have added oiling holes since then.

The press is a 550 that I bought new in 1985, it's a great press! :)

Got a brainstorm, bought a 5/16" bolt, 6" long, the 5/16" fits thru the hole in the right side link pin, punched out the left side pin, the bolt head on the 5/16" bolt is 1/2", exceeded by the points on the head, ground the points off, and had a nice round punch the perfect size to drive out the hollow right side, worked perfectly! Got them out and lubed, partially assembled, just waiting for the alignment tool Dillon said they will send me.

Thanks guys! :D

I use silicone oil to lube my 550's. It doesn't attract dust nor does primer ash stick to it, and oh yes I strip them completely every 20 000 rounds or so. I find the silicone penetrates well into tight fitting spots.

You will need an alignment tool to align the platform with the toolhead. Contact Dillon at 1-800-223-4570 for an alignment tool and instructions.

Since I live in Sweden I hesitate a bit before I phone Dillon to make questions about the alignment tool..... What do you really need it for? Isn't there a method where you can do without the alignment tool?

I would like to know before I disassemble my old (pre lube hole) 550 Dillon for the first ever maintenance, I bought it used from my shooting club and I suspect that it has never been lubed nor disassembled before.

• 9 years later...

Hooray for the internet. This thread saved me. My dillon 550 (purchased new from brian in october 2012) was getting stiff for some reason, so with the help of this thread I just kept taking it apart until I isolated the problem to be the upper right link pin (the hollow one) galling a little. Wiped everything up and greased it, and now the press is running slickern' snot.

I used some long bolts I had laying around to drive out the pins.