Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than likely they shoved a small flat blade screwdriver in there, put a crescent wrench on the blade of the driver and twisted. Check the tumblers in the lock, they may be sheared off. While the car "may" be locked, a screw driver or other instrument pushed into the lock and turned somewhat softly should tell if the tumblers are sheared off. If it turns, the tumblers are history.

More than likely they shoved a small flat blade screwdriver in there, put a crescent wrench on the blade of the driver and twisted.

That same thing happened to my dad's Ford Excursion years back while they were on the way to a dove hunt. They popped into Walmart on the way there and when they came out half an our later, all of their guns were gone. The police told my dad that he had just forgot to lock his car, but they busted the passenger side lock. We didn't notice for months. It's crazy how fast this stuff happens.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a hint to anyone transporting guns or things of value in your vehicle. If you pull into a hotel parking lot, restuarant, or rest area do not use your key fob to secure your vehicle. The remote entry systems currently in vehicles utilize 40 bit encryption. All it takes to defeat theses systems is a receiver/scanner/transmitter and a laptop. As you exit your vehicle and activate the transmitter located in your fob the signal is captured by the thief(s). After you are out of sight the thief can then re-transmit the un-lock codes. This includes unlocking your car, open the trunk, and if your vehicle has remote start that system can be activated.

To protect yourself from this, manually lock your doors if you are carrying precious cargo such as guns or electronics.

Regards

Edited by AGGIE85

Just a hint to anyone transporting guns or things of value in your vehicle. If you pull into a hotel parking lot, restuarant, or rest area do not use your key fob to secure your vehicle. The remote entry systems currently in vehicles utilize 40 bit encryption. All it takes to defeat theses systems is a receiver/scanner/transmitter and a laptop. As you exit your vehicle and activate the transmitter located in your fob the signal is captured by the thief(s). After you are out of sight the thief can then re-transmit the un-lock codes. This includes unlocking your car, open the trunk, and if your vehicle has remote start that system can be activated.

To protect yourself from this, manually lock your doors if you are carrying precious cargo such as guns or electronics.

Regards

Wow, did not know that - thanks!

be

Hmm... in my car, the remote fob enables the alarm and ignition kill switch.

What is more likely: Someone with a remote receiver/transmitter and computer or someone who can smash in the window and drive away with everything in 60 seconds if I DON'T use the fob? :blink: (serious question)

Are there aftermarket remote fobs that have higher security?

A locksmith or other qualified persons can get a set of "keys" which look kind of odd compared to a "regular" key. They are designed to open a number of different vehicles. You have to know which one covers which make/model/year vehicle. If a thief can't buy them, he will simply do what he does best. Steal them.

I doubt that every vehicle has a unique lock. You can go to Lowe's Hardware and find a hundred different door locks, but a dozen or less keys will open every one of them. Of course, if they have practiced, I'm sure a dedicated dirtbag can use screwdrivers and other tools to force the lock, since they are not worried about damage.

As someone has said, these dirtbags use the internet, or have someone do it for them, and track shooting matches, hotels, and any other information that will help them find and rob you. If you are in Atlanta, and have out-of-state plates, it is like a red flag to them.

Same for NRA or other shooting related decals. Also, think about what you have in the car that is visible. Shooting bags, jackets with a picture of a pistol, magazines, both the reading kind and the ones for your favorite pistol, any and all items that a thief will use to help single out your car. The clothes you wear and the guncases you carry in or out with you, plus the others that are with you, will help them narrow it down. Remember, this is the only job these lowlifes have.

And sadly, hotel staff may be involved. You have to consider that as well. If the police have the time, I'm sure they could ferret out those involved. Sorry to be longwinded, but there are a lot of things that can make you stand out. And sometimes there is just plain bad luck.

I sure wasn't aware that the gun thieves at matches were that sophisticated. I can't imagine thugs sitting in the parking lot with their laptops and scanners. I figured they just busted the lock, grabbed the gun bags and ran.

Your question regarding whether to protect your car or not is up to you. If the thief captures your code and opens your vehicle remotely your alarm will not sound and he will probably take as much time as he likes with your car and you will not know anything has happened till you return.

This scheme is coming over from Europe. The sad thing is, the dirt bag with the technical know who is assembling these systems is just enabling the thief. They can also set up in one location such as a match hotel capture a number of codes and hit more than one vehicle without sounding any alarms.

Manufacturers do not consider this a problem yet. When they do they will probably change to 128 bit encryption with authentication. This means the numeric password will be longer and when you press the button on your fob the vehicle will send a transmission to the fob to verify the signal.

I sure wasn't aware that the gun thieves at matches were that sophisticated. I can't imagine thugs sitting in the parking lot with their laptops and scanners. I figured they just busted the lock, grabbed the gun bags and ran.

My seven year old has a laptop, and I watched a coworker hack a laptop with a built in camera and turn on audio and video remotely... If the monetary reward is there, the technology is worth it and easy for the younger generations to utilize.

I agree the lock on the car in this case looks like it had all the tumblers cleaved by a screwdriver and hammer.

sorry for your loss Randall.

that totally sucks! :angry2:

for something like that, I do believe the arab/muslim world has the correct solution/deterrent.

major thread drift ahead....years ago when I was trying to go to grad school for psych, I was doing a internship with the illinois state police. being an intern I got stuck with the "drone" work of scanning in all sorts of hotel receipts in the areas of the I-35/I-70 serial murders. some of these hotel receipts or registers had people's license plate numbers. the gameplan was once all these documents got scanned in, a supercomputer at the U of I was going to look for repeats of people's names and/or license plate numbers.

sooooo....if you call in to that match hotel, for example, and request the discounted match rate months before the match....then show up at the match hotel on that match weekend and the flunkie behind the check in counter has you fill in some form with the make of your vehicle and/or its license plate number...after he notices that you have discount code " USPSA ".... BINGO! totally an inside job...flunkie tells his x-con addict brother in law which vehicles to do the smash and grab's on .

anywhooo...I totally have a solution for this....but I would like to keep it off the air...so to speak...

who signed up for area 3 but didn"t actually show up for it? who also happens to be a brian enos forum member who read the "who's all going to area 3?" threaad?

who is local enough to the georgia/atlanta area

to know what dave sevigny's car looks like?

as far as not looking like a shooter....pffft!!!

I can i.d. a cop, a firefighter, or a paramedic out of a crowd.

me? personally? I get the "are you sure you aren't a cop?" all the danged time...mainly from people who look like they should be worried about me being a cop.

and...no...I am not a cop.

I did some part time work for a while as a "pop a lock" guy. (Very interesting job but pay stank!)

There are only so many key variations for most cars. I think back then Toyota only had 8-10 variations (don't quote that) of door keys. So master sets are available and even without...there are ways other than the BFH. :devil:

Oddly though car locks are NOT easy cars to "pick" in the TV sense.

I wish I still had my "entry books"...I still get calls from friends.

<idea>

What about renting a room under "security team" when setting up the match hotel. Whether or not you have such a team it would certainly discourage the inside flunky.

Edited by hk_mtbr