Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro Ears

Mikej

I am tired of my Peltor's with the one bad side and want some new hearing protection. My thinking currently is a set of Pro Ears, but I would like opinions before I make the purchase. Thanks

Mike

I've been using the Howard Leight Impact Sport for the past year and like them very much. They are slim, have auto shutoff, and a jack to plug my Ipod into.

Matt

Revolver Forum?

I have used my Pro Ears Pro mag for a little while now and have to say that I love them. They amplify regular conversation and make gun shots softer. They are kind of bulky but I don't seem to notice them.

Also, there is tons of info on this subject. Just search "Hearing Protection" in the Gears & Accessories forum.

Edited by jkatz44

I have the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro and I like them very much, but if I was buying another pair today I think I would go with Pro Ears. I had an older pair and they were good and I'm sure they are better now although I did have to send them in for repair a couple of times.

Tim

I have the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro and I like them very much, but if I was buying another pair today I think I would go with Pro Ears. I had an older pair and they were good and I'm sure they are better now although I did have to send them in for repair a couple of times.

Tim

I was picking between the MSA Sordins and Pro ears and in the end, picked the Pro Ears. What didn't you like about the Sordins?

I have been using the Pro Ears for the last Five years, they are very durable. The only problem is they seem to turn themselves on when in my gun bag, to alleviate this I remove the batteries between use.

I might be in the minority, but I used the Howard Leight ones for a while and they just up and quite working one day. I found for 3gun, with a good cheek placement or certain hats, mouse ears just didn't work for me. I went back to foamies. The are comfortable once you get used to them again and have very good NRR. As a reminder every 3 Db, doubles the intensity of sound. I just make sure the RO knows to speak loudly and hold the timer close if I don't feel like I can hear well.

Lee

I already have some hearing loss, and I really wanted to like the Pro Ears due to the 33 dB in noise reduction that is available in their best model. But when I tried them, they were so damn big and bulky and heavy that they always felt like they were slipping off during abrupt movement. So I sold them to BadShot, and they seem to fit his much thicker skull just fine. ;)

I'm on my second pair of Dillon Electronic Muffs and like them, been using a pair since the early '90's.

The Pro Ears are good, but as said have a tendency to turn on and drain the batteries. Which are very expensive.

Plus the contacts for the batteries are as secure as the Dillon, they're secured by only the tension on the batteries and the foam inside the headset.

The Dillon will not turn on going into a bag and the batteries are standard, plus the contacts are very solid and secured by the plastic outside access cover.

Tim

I was picking between the MSA Sordins and Pro ears and in the end, picked the Pro Ears. What didn't you like about the Sordins?

The cups on the MSA's are a little small and they just aren't as comfortable as the Pro Ears, I had the Pro Ear Slims and I didn't notice them being to bulky. I sometimes start to get a headache near the end of a match with the MSA's if I switch to plugs it goes away. The recover and sound quality on the Pro's I think is quicker and better but if they still use those N batteries they are expensive and don't seem to last very long. I'm not sorry that I got the MSA's they are good quality hearing protection I'm going to try the gel pads and see if that makes a difference.

Tim

I am tired of my Peltor's with the one bad side and want some new hearing protection. My thinking currently is a set of Pro Ears, but I would like opinions before I make the purchase. Thanks

Mike

I’m currently using the Pro Ears Dimension Plus, I need to double plug, not enough protection. Also there isno auto shut off and sometimeswhen putting back in shooting bag they can be turned on easily, the batteriesare hard to find N size 1.5V and are expensive.

You may want to look at these.

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=E09+TAC-PRO

I junked my old Peltors when I got these. The old Peltor 6S is a terrible muff. The new Tac-Pro has a higher db rating, they auto shut off and use 2 plain AA batteries that are on the outside and easy to change. The only down side is that they are to big for me and long guns.

Howard Leight Impact Elec Muffs:

Ordered: Nov 2, 2007

Died: Dec 26, 2009

They were good muffs and worked well. Not enough hearing protection for RO'ing AR-15's with muzzle brakes.

I was still happy with them when one day they just stopped working...

Thinking about getting a set of the Pro Ears Sporting Clays Gold NRR 25. I do not see any other style of Pro Ears that have the cutouts so you can shoot rifle without interference.

Edited by rr4406pak

Peltor Tactical Sport, using for 3+ years. Less than $100, and run on common AAA batteries. I keep spare batteries in my kit, but I think I've replaced probably once a year. If you are RO'ing Open shooters, you need to double plug. For the other divisions they are fine. They come with both black and orange outside cups. They've taken quite a beating and are still running strong. Damn, I probably jinxed myself with that last comment. Like any muff, there will be some contact on a rifle stock. It is bearable, not as bad as my old stuff standard muffs.

Side note: I've taken to wearing them while hunting as well, keeps my ears warm and I can hear mouse farts at 50 yards.