Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex parts....

DougCarden

I did a couple of MP triggers today, got the Apex sear and safety plunger from SpeedShooter specialties in record time, as usual.

I have a 9L that is at 2.5lbs using the stock sear-worked over by me, a me-modified plunger, cut down spring, and my own internal overtravel pin on the sear block housing.

I did a .40 today with the Apex sear and safety plunger. FWIW, to have the same spring weight as the one from Apex, I ended up cutting the stock spring down 5 coils. It is really close on the trigger gauge. By putting in the Apex safety plunger/spring and the sear I got the trigger down to a crisp 4lbs. I then polished the bejeezus out of the sear and the rear edge, and I got it to just over 3lbs.

You wont be sorry getting the Apex parts, they are well made and take less work than the factory sear to modify for a nice trigger.

FWIW,

DougC

Did the same thing about 3 weeks ago. Apex makes a great part!! SSS sent the stuff in record time. Also installed a Burwell rear sight.....nice sight!!!! Will give it all a workout next week at the SC Sectional and the following week at Area 6....can't wait!!

I have the 9 pro. Is the apex sear different enough from the stock one in the pro to make it worth it? I've not had anything done on my trigger yet but I'm planning on it in the future.h

magic+8+ball.jpg

I have the 9 pro. Is the apex sear different enough from the stock one in the pro to make it worth it? I've not had anything done on my trigger yet but I'm planning on it in the future.h

I put an Apex sear in my Pro and it is better than stock. Definitely get the Apex firing pin safety plunger and spring as well. Put those parts in and you're almost certain to like the trigger better....smoother, crisper, lighter and a shorter reset. R,

Doug: Are you cutting down the STRIKER spring? And the gun still runs?

I went 2 coils down on one, and it wouldn't eat Winchester primers worth a damn. Mine stays stock.

My trigger is a smooth & crisp 4lbs 11oz with no overtravel, and I really like it how it is. That's just two or three hours spent on a DIY triggerjob, no aftermarket parts or spring changes. :)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Nope, Plunger spring. Sorry for the confusion. You can cut two coils off the striker spring and run Federal primers well seated, but that is it....It will take about a 1/2 lb off the pull, but unless you have a boatload of Federals on the shelf it isn't worth it. A crisp 3lb trigger with no overtravel is pretty hard to beat! This is my experience...Use with caution... :roflol:

DougC

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Apex hard sear and striker block on Sat. I had them installed in ~20 min after watching the instructional videos, then following along. Very easy to install and the resulting trigger is exceptional! I don't have a pull weight scale for exact poundage but ir feels just touch heavier than my 3.5 lbs Sig trigger, so I'm guestimating ~4 lbs. Very smooth with a significant reduction in reset (40-50%). Still not an exceptionally tactile feeling reset, but with the short reset I'm not sure it will matter much. I didn't install the reduced power spring for the striker block (being overly cautions), but I will likely go back and install it. Flork, what exactly does the reduces striker block spring help with again? Thanks again to Apex for the great parts! I'll be very interested to see what other aftermarket M&P parts Apex cooks up in the future. A striker or trigger bar perhaps? :)

I installed the Apex seer and plunger with lighter spring on a couple of M&Ps...LOVE THEM!

I had a few light primer strikes in a couple of M&Ps (after 10K and 35K rounds, respectively) so I run the extra power striker springs in all of them, now. With the way the Apex seer is cut, it doesn't seem to push the striker back much, if at all, so the weight of the striker spring doesn't seem to affect the trigger pull when using the Apex seer.

All but my carry M&P will be getting those parts (I prefer the stiffer trigger on the carry gun).

Flork, what exactly does the reduces striker block spring help with again? Thanks again to Apex for the great parts! I'll be very interested to see what other aftermarket M&P parts Apex cooks up in the future. A striker or trigger bar perhaps? :)

Thank you for your kind comments. The reduced Striker Block Spring is designed to help smooth up the operation of the Striker Block. Being slightly lighter, it reduces drag on the upward movement of the Striker Block to reduce felt disengagement of the Striker Block while the trigger is being pressed.

We are working on a billet striker and trigger bar. They're a bit farther down the road, but they're on the drawing board.

Scott

We are working on a billet striker and trigger bar. They're a bit farther down the road, but they're on the drawing board.

Scott

Stop making me spend money :roflol:

If they keep going like they are it will never stop :surprise:

I bought a used S&W Pro, 750 rounds, trigger felt horrible, very gritty, but weighed about 4 lb. 7 oz.. Put in the Apex sear and block, then honed the striker hook a bit to smooth it up. Now breaks about 3 lb. 10 oz. and feels very good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had been looking at the M&P at the local gunstore for quite awhile. The gun pointed well, the controls were all located just perfectly for me, it just felt right......until I would pull the trigger. The pull was rough and gritty. Well, a friend let me borrow two of his M&P's that he had done some trigger work to. What a difference! This convinced me that the trigger could be made significantly better and then the whole package would be just right. I bought my M&P 9mm and did my own trigger job on it with good results. About a week ago somebody gave me an Apex sear. I dropped it in and it was even better than my own trigger job. The reset especially was much shorter. I am thrilled at what a difference it makes in the shootability of this gun. Well done!

I've been dryfiring my M&P9 since I got it. I'd gotten comfortable with the trigger which, by my estimation, was north of 6 lbs (my trigger scale only goes to 4.5).

Put in the sear and USB today. Trigger's breaking at about 3.875 lbs (3 lbs, 14 oz) and the USB completely got rid of the first break in the trigger pull (when the tang on the trigger bar got around the corner on the SB).

I think I'll eventually have a 'smith do a trigger job, but this is a vast improvement. Well done, Randy & Apex.

Also took the opportunity to pull out the magazine safety and the sear deactivation lever and the associated parts and put on an all-black rear sight. Glock-like simplicity in takedown. Sight picture is SO much better. Heck, the white dot on the front sight doesn't bother me now that the rear ones are gone.

I got mine and put it in on Monday and love it. One thing I would point out is most of the benefits would seem to be realized with a non M&P Pro. My Pro trigger was pretty good to start with but it is now a little smoother, crisper and lighter. Like the example in the Apex video maybe .5 pounds off.

If you compare the parts to the Burwell job they are basically saving you having to reshape and polish the hump at the rear and hardening the sear. The original Pro sear, like the Apex, already has the sear modification for over travel. I had actually already installed my sear and stiker block before I saw the Burwell PDF. But I went back and did the few extra steps not covered by using the Apex parts (also no further rounding of striker block needed).

The Apex videos are good but I would use them hand in hand with the Burwell pdf. I could not find any polishing felt for my dremel and I used a small folded piece of 1500 grit sand paper and a hard flat surface. If your stiker is pretty good to start with I don't see any need to cut/polish with a stone and a little polishing does the trick (you also avoid using a vise on its plastic sleeve). A little extra effort but it did the job.

If you add the Apex sear, stiker block and do the simple Burwell tasks for

Polish trigger bar where it contacts sear.

Polish the striker face.

Polish the trigger bar where it contacts the striker block.

You probably won't get much better. Maybe when I get up the motivation to take on that pressed pin I will put in the Apex extractor. Course by then Apex will probably have something else to buy ;)

I've been dryfiring my M&P9 since I got it. I'd gotten comfortable with the trigger which, by my estimation, was north of 6 lbs (my trigger scale only goes to 4.5).

Put in the sear and USB today. Trigger's breaking at about 3.875 lbs (3 lbs, 14 oz) and the USB completely got rid of the first break in the trigger pull (when the tang on the trigger bar got around the corner on the SB).

I think I'll eventually have a 'smith do a trigger job, but this is a vast improvement. Well done, Randy & Apex.

Also took the opportunity to pull out the magazine safety and the sear deactivation lever and the associated parts and put on an all-black rear sight. Glock-like simplicity in takedown. Sight picture is SO much better. Heck, the white dot on the front sight doesn't bother me now that the rear ones are gone.

What is the USB?