Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I put mine together (or most of the way together) last night. I couldn't find any XXL caps or bolt handles. But it will work without those.

I'm wondering if they made a slight change, because I didn't need to dremel anything. I got the tube extension on, loaded up some dummy shells, and they cycled just fine.

Hopefully I'll be able to test fire it this weekend.

My clinger pic (can't be bitter - I got a new gun!)

IMG_2095A.jpg

Took mine out this week. Deburred, cut two coils off the recoil spring and went to the range. Liked the federals better than Winchester bulk 3 dram stuff. Still 1 in 10 would hang up at 1 o'clock trying to get into the chamber. There's a sharp edge right there that I may break and see what happens. NC +4 tube and springs from Kirk on the way. I picked up some 980 fps AA's to try with the new springs :)

Keith

Oh jeez, lmao... I got my nordic tube and follower today, only to find out the mag tube in the 712 is narrower than the extension, and the nordic low drag follower doesn't fit int othe tube. Did any of you guys run into this?

FWIW, I had to shave off the first 1/16th of hte mag tube to get rid of a circumferential lip.

Does anybody have any reference if this is a better 3 gun shotgun than a 1187 as far as reliability or durability? I am going to use my 1187 that I just put an extension on but am a little nervous to use it very long when I read about issues over the long run with the 1187.

Does anybody have any reference if this is a better 3 gun shotgun than a 1187 as far as reliability or durability? I am going to use my 1187 that I just put an extension on but am a little nervous to use it very long when I read about issues over the long run with the 1187.

All I can give you is our experience. My son has been shooting his in 3-gun for about a year and a half now. Lots of rounds.The gun functions and shoots great. An occasional hiccup now and then with ammo, but no more than my Winchester SX3. It works. Have not seen anymore problems than with any brand.

gerritm

The 11-87 is a great shotgun, like any gas operated system the o-ring is the weak link so keep it clean and oiled up and you should be fine just get out there and shoot :-)

I know my little CZ has a mess of rounds thru it and I'll have to say that I'm pretty impressed! I have actually tried to make it fail so I could figure all the bad things about the shotgun, these are just simple great little shotguns that are very underrated since it's not a Benelli or other big name and don't cost a bunch, I guess people just think nothing good could come from a cheap shotgun.

Like all shotguns when it comes to 3 gun ya gotta remember that we are pushing these things way beyond what they were inteded to do, how many times do you know a bird hunter or anyone else for that matter that goes out and runs 20 - 25 rounds as fast as they can then chunk the dang thing in a barrel or on a table LOL. Later,

Kirk

So... have anybody found that their CZ712 magazine tube has a narrower inside diameter than the extension tube?

Can anyone put a set of calipers on the inside diameter of their mag tube for me, please?

The only solution I think I have is grinding a slow slope like a funnel going into the mag tube so rims don't get hung on that lip...

55 round stage sounds like fun!

I always dremel an angle at the end of the mag tube, just makes the transition that much smoother so things don't get hung up. As for the diameter differences I've never checked it myself but I happen to have one I can check I've even got a Nordic follower I can take a look at and I'll get back to ya. Later,

Kirk

So... have anybody found that their CZ712 magazine tube has a narrower inside diameter than the extension tube?

Can anyone put a set of calipers on the inside diameter of their mag tube for me, please?

The only solution I think I have is grinding a slow slope like a funnel going into the mag tube so rims don't get hung on that lip...

I've got .920 on the gun, .935 on the Nordic tube. Various followers run .912 to .916. Just put a slight bevel on the tube like Kirk said,...gtg.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone bought the ALS and had it cut down yet? I want the ATI stock and after getting the barrel cut it would be about the same as a utility that I would have to add the stock too, but I could have a 22 to 24 inch barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to try a match and shoot it with bird-shot. It is definitely too heavy to cycle for the light loads. What are you guys doing? I think I read earlier taking a couple full coils off the recoil spring and opening the gas ports. Any more details? It was basically a single shot, lol. I also had to almost always remove the partially ejected hull too.

On birdshot it should run a majority of the loads that are 1200fps or faster. I've been running the federal #8 1 1/8 oz loads bulk packs for the past year with the spring and gas ports stock. These loads are easy to handle as well.

I've heard a couple guys that got lucky and had the bulk pack shotshells run awesome in their 712's most well not so much! the reason I made the springs :-)

My stock spring I eneded up cutting 3 coils off but now wish I hadn't as I enjoy shooting the full house slugs and buck from time to time and my springs are too light, awesome for birdshot and reduced recoil stuff but I'd be afraid the full house stuff would beat up the action, a few from time to time is not bad.

The first run with my shotgun I did the same thing as you, I had a single shot with a mag tube lol. Later,

Kirk