Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much of a rollover are you guys finding on the end of the factory mag? I just took the plug out of mine. I didn't have to pry anything, I just pushed in the tabs on each side of the plug and took it right out. I don't see any rollover that was intended to hold anything in. A very, very slight burr on the edge...maybe, but certainly no rollover intended to hold anything in.

I definitely do have at a minimum a very slight burr at the end of my mag though. I just put it all together, loaded the mag up and then emptied it just to try it out. The follower did hang up in the tube somewhere once, I'm assuming it was at that burr. I'll smooth it out when I get the chance, and I might also look into a NC follower.

I noticed the retaining mechanism used for the original nut is going to be useless for the NC extension. Anyone had problems with the NC extension backing off while shooting?

PA542, mine was an older 712 Utility, purchased a couple years ago. It definitely had a roll over at the end of the stock mag tube. I used a cone shaped grinder on a drill to get rid of mine. I also got a different follower, not the NC one though, but my stocker was working fine, just wanted a red one. Shot my fourth 3 gun match with it today. Took a buddy and his son to the match. Lot of shotgun today, 50 rounds of birdshot. My buddies Remmington choked on the first stage so I let him shoot the CZ, along with his son. All three of us shooting it, that thing got hot! No problems, but it likes heavy reloads. I've went through two 500 count bags of claybuster white wads now, with load developement, practice and matches.

The NC extension springs sticks out about two feet past the mag tube with the cap off. Has anyone shortened theirs? What is the total spring lenght you have?

Edited by deputygene

The NC instructions recommended starting with 16" of spring hanging out of the tube. I started with 18" to be safe. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though. I need to clean the burr off the factory tube and then I'll give it a try.

I actually have another older 712 I bought back in 2006. I think that was probably when they were somewhat new. I'll have to dig it out and see if it has a rollover. I'm just curious now if they've changed the design to accommodate mag extensions more easily.

Nope they haven't, finished one for a guy and it was bought a month ago, got a 720 I'm working on for just because and the crimp on the end was worse than the 712 and the shotgun was rough! pretty sure the guy was busy that day with something other than de-burr LOL but I got it licked and it's a hoot to shoot.

Hey guys anyone who got the springs of mine what's your thought's? I've heard back from a couple of you but what about the other guys, ya like them or not? I don't have anymore and just curious if I should make some more? Later,

Kirk

Nope they haven't, finished one for a guy and it was bought a month ago, got a 720 I'm working on for just because and the crimp on the end was worse than the 712 and the shotgun was rough! pretty sure the guy was busy that day with something other than de-burr LOL but I got it licked and it's a hoot to shoot.

Hey guys anyone who got the springs of mine what's your thought's? I've heard back from a couple of you but what about the other guys, ya like them or not? I don't have anymore and just curious if I should make some more? Later,

Kirk

We are running the yellow spring and it works great. No problems, have about 300 rounds thru it.Works great, cycles much faster than the stock spring.

gerritm

Bam! But, I don't think it'll be ready in time for the multigun matches coming up the next two Saturdays. I want to put a lot of rounds through this thing. It'll be like a doorknob, everybody gets a turn. :devil:

Oh snap, I think I just named it. The Doorknob!

Blend that loading port!!!!

LOL.... LOVE the name!

i haven't had the time yet to send stuff out, i hope to hop to that in the enxt couple days. there's a shotgun only match on the 30th and we've got about 5 or 6 people that can share the shotgun. if it dump we'll have a couple benellis to back us up. should be at least 500 through the gun that way. 600 if we can't shoot to save our lives. :cheers:

In all honesty my first 712 I had the lifter welded and it was just because everyone said you needed to do it, the last couple I've not done anything but polish up and get rid of the burrs so you don't hang a fingernail as I hear that rather hurts LOL

If you are running the stock spring shoot me a PM unless your gonna run those heavy loads, I'll give you a thing you can do to make you a much happier person ;-)

To make things easier I'd for sure have the loading port opened up a touch. It's gets rid of the sharp corners and a bigger hole is easier to get those shotshells in.

Good luck to ya! Later,

Kirk

Can someone school me on welding the lifter? What exactly are you guys referring to? What needs welded on it?

The open fork part is closed by welding a piece of metal across it. Conceptually it's nothing complicated. But I can't weld!

I just pulled out my old field model 712. I bought it I believe back in 2006. There is definitely a major difference in the rollover on the mag. That shotgun has a very defined and obvious rollover. My new 712 Utility has little more than a burr, at most.

It also uses a different system for holding the mag spring and plug in. That's something they needed I think too, even for the stock gun. The plug on my first 712 broke with very little use just a year or two after I bought it. I had to stick a wooden dowel rod in as a replacement.

Edited by PA452

I just took pics of both. I'll post them tomorrow, maybe tonight if I get to it. They are very different. My bet is they're starting to make the 712Us now with the redesigned mag to make it easier to install extensions.

Do you have the spring-loaded detent for the mag cap on the mag spring retainer or the forearm?

Edited by PA452

So despite not having a rollover at the end of my tube, I unfortunately will still probably need to do some dremel work. The Nordic tube fits over top of the factory mag, and it leaves a small ridge that the follower hits in the return direction. Hopefully I won't have to take off too much to get it working.

Bought the 712 about a year ago. Finally put the yellow spring, that i bought from Kirk, in last night. I also purchased a new low drag follower and a new bolt handle that I bought from Tony at Make ready Pro shop. I will be taking it out to the range, this weekend, to run it through its paces. Will let you know how it goes.

Joe

Edited by JHolmes

I just put 100 rounds through my 712 Utility shooting some clays tonight. I took the mag extension off until I get a chance to make it work. Had one failure to eject out of the 100 rounds. I think that's pretty decent for a brand new gun that's not broken in yet. Did alright on the clays too considering it's probably been a couple years since I've done that kind of shooting.

Edited by PA452

Just ordered the ATI stock. I like what I read about the recoil pad, but even more so I'm looking for some adjustment, and I really like that the comb is adjustable. I'd kind of like to get just slightly lower. With the factory stock, I'm having to really kind of push down tight against the stock to be looking down the rib correctly.

Edited by PA452