Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I too wan to buy the 712 als and have the barrel shortened to 24 inches.. would this work? wold there bee any problems doing that? I feel like the 20 inch barrel is too short, JMHO!

For 3-gun I think the 20 inch barrel is great. My son shoots it and has absolutely no problems. He uses the CZ internal Mod choke that came with the gun. The 20" barrel makes the gun very fast to handle and easy to point and shoot especially in tight areas. Hits steel, clays, and poppers hard at any distance.

We spent a day out at the trap range shooting clays and I have to tell you after about 250 rounds the 20" barrel with mod choke has no problem reaching out and hitting the long ones. We played around with longer shots and were able to hit the clays hard at 30 plus yards to see what it's max was.

He uses Winchester and Federal 7.5 and #8 loads. Only time he changes is for the MGM spinner and Texas star where he will load full brass Remington #6's.

He can get 10 rounds in the tube with the Nordice extended cap.

Great little gun.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

Only reason I'd go with a 24" is to slow my swing down some and be able to get 2 more rounds in the tube. I have seen a mess of little shotgun stages with 10 or 11 rounds and MY thinking is just load a couple more after the buzzer goes off.

Not a thing wrong with the 20" barrel. I have for the most part went with a LM extended choke tube and the only time I touch it is to be sure it's screwed in tight LOL Later,

Kirk

Just picked up my 712U from the FFL today. Went out and tried a quick 7 rounds when I got home to see how it functioned with cheap ammo I had laying around. So far so good. ;)

What length Nordic extension are you guys using? I see a number of people saying they're using +4s? Based on the measurement on Nordic's site, it seems like that will stick out pretty far past the end of the barrel. I figured a little bit would be alright, but that length has me concerned. I've seen a couple mention a +3 extension, but right now Nordic's site isn't giving me that option. It's either +2 or +4. Are they not making the +3 anymore? Or will the +4 be fine? I'd rather be able to fit more in the mag anyway if I can.

Thanks

I run a +3 and with an extended choke it's for the most part even, the length of the tube past the muzzle ain't no big deal! just figure out how many rounds you want to run. I went +3 cause of the 8+1 starts. I know Jesse runs a stupid long extension and a 21" barrel on his Benelli and hasn't blown it off yet LOL. Later,

Kirk

Do they make another extended tube ;) yes it's Nordic and I bought one of the Carleson LM choke tubes. Later,

Kirk

The reason I asked is because Nordic's site doesn't show a +3 available for the CZ now. I'm just wondering if they're out of stock or something, or if they've stopped making a +3 assembly for the 712. I might have to give them a call and find out.

You can always do what I did and get a Nordic +5. It sticks about 4 inches past the barrel and allows for 9+1. 8+1 at make ready, load another after the buzzer, and the ability to reload 10 on big shotgun stages. Shot doesn't hurt the mag tube at all. A lot of guys do this with all different guns.

Ordered up the NC +4 extension tonight. Next I just need to decide on a front sight, a side shell holder, and I'm starting to contemplate picking up one of those ATI stocks.

Edited by PA452

Sights just go with the Hi-Vis and I just gotta ask why the side shell holder? Later,

Kirk

Any particular model of Hi-Vis that you like?

Side shell holder just for faster reloads. I'm new to the 3-gun game, been to one match last October. I remember watching guys reload and it seemed like the guys with extra rounds right on the gun appeared to be the fastest. I had borrowed some caddies from a guy, but they weren't helping me much. I'm sure that would change with practice, but it seemed like the holder on the gun and loading one at a time would be a better (and cheaper) option for me right now.

Get you some shotshell caddies and weak hand loading 3 seems fastest for me. Those side shell holders look too tactical timmy for me! sorry no offense but I've seen guys with them and the get in the way more than they help.

I don't recall the exact Hi-Vis pn I got but it's the one with several different fibers and it just replaces the bead sight. I'll check when I get a touch of time but gotta do some work so I can pay the bills. Later,

Kirk

Ordered up the NC +4 extension tonight. Next I just need to decide on a front sight, a side shell holder, and I'm starting to contemplate picking up one of those ATI stocks.

Great stock, my son runs it on his CZ. Gives some adjustment to length of pull, the original stock was too long. This gives a better/firmer repeatable cheek weld, also.

He has the same Hi Vis front sight. Very easy to see and works good for slugs.

He has a plus 4 Nordic tube with the extended cap, so he can get 10 rounds in it. Sticks out about 3-4 inches from the end of the barrel and other than getting dirty from the powder, no problems. Cut the Nordic spring at about 13-14 inches from end of tube, and replaced the stock follower with the Nordic teflon coated one. Feeds and loads very well.

The 3x3 API shell caddies are great, easiest to use and 3 is about my limit, any more and I tend to fumble the shells. I have a 5 shell holder on my SX3 stock and rarely use it. Sometimes to put slugs in it to keep them separated. The 2 shell holder on the body of the shotgun is really only for emergencys or if you run out at the end of a stage and need 1 shell to finish.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/767274/hiviz-compsight-front-sight-for-shotguns-with-vent-rib-and-removable-front-bead-fiber-optic-with-8-interchangeable-lite-pipes

Link to the sight. Be sure and lock-tite that sucker and I drill a 3/32" hole and pin the sight so it stays where you want it, I had one that just would never stay straight so it's just something I do now. Later,

Kirk

so i am picking up a 712 utility....

since i only need 8+1, i'm thinking of ordering the +4 nordic extension, then getting the hiviz tricomp front sight (i liked the ones i've been using on borrowed benellis). the only question is now i'd want a rear sight to go with it. i tried browsing around for a plain black rear sight for a vent rib but they all use light pipes. i was hoping to avoid having to dovetail a 10/22 rear sight in. any suggestions? also, if i missed it, a +3 nordic with an extended cap makes 4 with a shorter length?

Since you will be past your barrel, Nordic recommended doing +4 so it's one contiguous extension tube. That's what they recommended to me when I called months ago. I need to sell my CZ712 since I made the move to Open. Shot less than 10 rounds in mine! I harvested the NC tube for my Benelli SuperNova.

Anyway, I wanted you to know what NC recommended to me a while back.