Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

For those of you out there that thought about trying the Nordic bolt handle I vote to pick one up. Put mine on and very happy with it. It's not like the typical Nordic handle. Very smooth and large. It sits nice and close to the bolt and barely clears the receiver.

Thanks Nordic!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found out a little issue with the CZ this weekend, I shot the High Plains Challenge last weekend and the CZ was running great then IT happened! gun don't go boom! squeezed the trigger and it wouldn't budge! jacked the shell out and no boom again! well the first thing that came to mind was to say foul, foul, filthy, foul for about 30 seconds then walked off with my head in shame. I was shooting with Ben Fortin and he saved my ass! went to his truck grabbed his other Benelli and told me to shot it the rest of the match so I did finish Saturday just not with the CZ so if anyone see's Ben shake his hand.

Got the CZ back over to Kurts after the match and we tore into the CZ well there is a little spring under the trigger that is the trigger return and the small hole it sits in I never thought it would really matter but it did! that spring popped out and wedged under the trigger and wouldn't allow it to move. We drilled the hole a touch deeper and I finished the last 3 stages Sunday without issue. As many times I've been in my trigger and the couple I have put together for folks I NEVER thought something like that shallow spring pocket would stop the shotgun but ya know what it did! I don't know the depth it was drilled but fella's it happened and I thought I'd pass the word.

Ryan is right the bolt knob from Nordic is nice! I never thought I would ever need one and couldn't see what good it would do and if you read back when I posted about it I said I would try it out see how it works and go back to my stock bolt knob! ok I'm not going to lie I'm still running it hehe last I talked to Tony he said he only had like a couple more, there were only 10 made that I know about so might be a good idea to send a few e-mails to the good folks at Nordic if you'd like a chance down the road to get one of these for your shotgun. Later,

Kirk

Thanks for the spring heads up, I'll check it out the next time I have it apart.

You guys think a mag clamp is necessary? I have the +4. It seems fairly solid as is, and with the 20" barrel I couldn't get it very far out from the nut anyway.

We have mag clamps on our shotguns. Main reason for me is tha when you dump the shotgun in a transition or swing it against a wall or object I don't want to take a chance on knocking or bending the mag tube. Cheap guarantee to prevent a disaster. I have a Briley tube on my SX3 and it is not very thick at the threads. The Nordic on the CZ is a little stiffer.

gerritm

We have mag clamps on our shotguns. Main reason for me is tha when you dump the shotgun in a transition or swing it against a wall or object I don't want to take a chance on knocking or bending the mag tube. Cheap guarantee to prevent a disaster. I have a Briley tube on my SX3 and it is not very thick at the threads. The Nordic on the CZ is a little stiffer.

gerritm

I had that thought too. I've only ever shot one multi-gun match before. That particular match each time we dumped the shotgun we left it on a table. We did dump the rifle in a barrel once. I think I'd be alright with doing that with the NC tube, I'd just do it gently. I'm not going to being winning any matches yet anyway, I'm not worried about a spare second taken to go easy on the tube. ;)

Got a match coming up this Sunday. I just ran about 50 rounds through my 712U again tonight to give the mag extension a test and try out the new ATI stock. No issues of any kind with the shotgun or the mag. And I have to say, that ATI stock is well worth the money. The difference in comfort between the factory stock and ATI stock is huge.

• 3 weeks later...

Try grabbing it with your pliers and then wiggling back and forth and pull like hell. Mine was tight the 1st time but gets easier the more you do it. Also try and put a drop of oil down the hole.

Schultz

I found a good way to get it out. Assuming that your right-handed try putting the butt of the stock on your workbench, pull the spring assembly down while holding the gun with your left hand until the holes line up between the bolt and bolt assembly. Take a pair of pliers and like sschultz said pull hard and wiggle back and forth. Nordic's handle goes in and out relatively easy if you plan on using that. I tried everything else though, even tried using a vice but nothing has worked as well as this.

Edited by suesstech

thanks guys!

right now, i've found that the lip in the mag tube goes all the way around, not just a simple tab. d'oh! in addition, the tip of the bare tube to the muzzle is 7-1/8". the nordic +5 will come out about 4 inches past the muzzle. right now i see brownells has a norci +4 listed for the beretta which is slightly shorter and actually in stock, i'm wondering if that'll also work for my 712?

how do i get the follower and spring out of the mag tube? forgive me, i've never tried disassembling a shotgun before. it sure seems a lot simpler than a pistol. it seems liek there's a special tool i'd need to use on a nut that joins the mag tube to the receiver?

when I did my tube I ended up pushing the spring in and then I cut the end of the tube off. Then took a dremel and beveled the inside of the tube. I run with the +5 on mine and let it stick out past the barrel. I am also using a a carlson extended choke. I put a Champion easy hit on mine and it was taped sticky taped on. Its never budged.

Schultz

Guys,

The Hi-Vis comp sight is nice. Its got a larger bead size which makes it easier to spot on shots. Bead comes off and it screws on. Don't forget a little red loctite.

On the mag tube I run a +5 as well and it sticks past the barrel. No problems to worry about there.

Edited by suesstech

thanks guys!

right now, i've found that the lip in the mag tube goes all the way around, not just a simple tab. d'oh! in addition, the tip of the bare tube to the muzzle is 7-1/8". the nordic +5 will come out about 4 inches past the muzzle. right now i see brownells has a norci +4 listed for the beretta which is slightly shorter and actually in stock, i'm wondering if that'll also work for my 712?

how do i get the follower and spring out of the mag tube? forgive me, i've never tried disassembling a shotgun before. it sure seems a lot simpler than a pistol. it seems liek there's a special tool i'd need to use on a nut that joins the mag tube to the receiver?

You don't really need to worry about the mag extension going beyond the muzzle. I called Nordic for an order status update and while I had the guy on the phone I asked him at what point it was a problem for the mag to extend beyond the muzzle. If I remember correctly he said it will be a problem at about 4 feet. ;)

As for getting the follower and spring out, you don't need to cut anything and you don't need to take the tube off of the receiver. I've seen two different styles of mag tubes on the 712s. Does yours have a black plastic end piece holding the plug in? Does it have two tabs sticking into two recesses on the sides of the mag tube about an inch from the end? If so you just need to push in on both of those tabs and turn the black tube a bit, then carefully pull it out. This is the way it was on my 712U. My older 712 had a metal plate holding the spring and plug in. That may require grinding the lip out of the tube to get the follower out, I'm not sure. I never did any work with that one other than replacing the plug after it broke.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading this thread with great interest as I am on a low budget myself. I have seen a few people, or is it one person several times? State that the 712 is better than a Mossberg. I am NOT trying to be confrontational, but I would like to know in what way(s) is the CZ a superior choice for 3- gun over the 930 JM.

I checked the respective prices on Buds the 930 showed at 599 and the CZ showed 489 with the ATI stock. Add the NC mag extension for 30 bucks and the difference narrows to 30-ish bucks. If I am missing something here will someone please let me in on it? Again, not trying to fling poo, but it seems to me the 2 guns are pretty comparable price wise, by the time you get the CZ kitted out. I eagerly await enlightenment!

:)

Well I think the main problem is that you are a little late for the party. I bought my one of my 712Us end of last year for $335. the other I got equiped and ready to go for $400. I think that makes a bigger difference. Also the 930s weren't available yet. I have also read that some people are having problems with their 930 JMs but I have no personnal experience. I also have not had any problems with my 712s yet either. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably go 930 and be done with it.

Okay, maybe I'm raining on everyone's 712 parade, but only because I really like the looks of the gun: wouldn't the ATI adjustable stock with a mag extension be a 922® issue?

I'd love to be wrong, but everything I've read supports this.

An update on my son's CZ. He is still running the yellow spring and the gun is working great.

We shoot a long range very tough 3-gun once a month put on by a sadist who loves to challenge all. Not your typical 3-gun with no paper targets and rifle shots offhand to 250 yards and prone and supported shot out to 500.

He came up with a killer shotgun stage. Start fully loaded with birdshot and hose 20 clays, reload with 10 buck and shoot 10 small poppers at about 30 yards around some bigger poppers protecting them as no shoots, reload bird again and hose 20 small steels, finish with birdshot at a MGM spinner and 2 slug shots out at about 50 and 80 yards. Had a table in the center to keep shells on cause no way to carry that many. Whole stage was shot at 4 postitions within about 5 feet.

Bottom line is the CZ functioned perfect even with all the transitions to different shells. Great shotgun.

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...

I have a good feeling that due to the lack of interest in the 712 there are not going to be many things built or made, gotta think who wants to build stuff and it sit on the shelves? I doubt you'll see much as much as I hate to say. Later,

Kirk

Kirk, what lack of interest, 14 pages and still counting. Problem is CZ doesn't seem to promote the 712. Shot this weekend and saw several new Mossbergs have problems. Need to get the word out. Owners know how good they are. Just not the "in" shotgun.

gerritm

Also part of the problem is at a quick look a lot of people assume they are Benelli M1's until they take that closer look. I get that often. I too have seen some frustrated Mossberg JM owners. Then when you tell them CZ, they say they didn't even know CZ made a tactical shotgun. C'mom CZ, step it up.

I know 1 person at CZ that might want to do something but the others don't want to step it up and get with the right people to get something going, the springs I came up with while they work very well I'm not just going to give CZ my information and that's what I was ask to do grrr. I had 10 sets of those springs made and it took 3 months for them to go to new homes, the price from my supplier has gone up $70 per 10 sets due to not enough volume, I've not heard anything from Nordic about bolt knobs.

This is what I know, the shotgun is a good product, there are some things that need attention and several folks have figured out how to make the little shotguns run like champs cause we've put the time in and put up with the headaches of figuring them out. 14 pages and how many on that turd the 930? I never did find out how much Mossberg gave Jerry to put his name on that thing but it was money well spent!

There is a way to get the word out but this everyday Joe just doesn't have the funds to make that happen. Later,

Kirk