Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top 10 Low Pass Flyby's of All Time

Wow! Those are amazing. When I was growing up my neighbor's brother flew A-10's. We lived in a valley next to a lake and he would pop over the ridge, drop down below the tree level and power out of the valley with no warning. I used to love that!

My cousin was a Marine pilot and flight instructor for most of his career, and he says these are excellent examples of pilots with NAFOD - No Apparent Fear Of Death.

Apparently that gentleman standing there in #3 has none either. :surprise:

Good stuff.

Being involved with aviation for most of my career I've seen some cool stuff in person and on video. One memorable one is an F-15 doing a low pass over the runway here in Indy and about half way down the landing area he pulls back, fires off the burners and goes straight up until he was almost out of sight. We were probably too close cause we could feel the heat! Another is an old grainy video a Boeing rep showed at a training class years ago of a Boeing test pilot doing a barrel roll in a B707. It was before the web so the video might be somewhere out there, but the neat part at the time was that it was kind of a long story told in the industry. ( commercials aren't supposed to be able to do acrobatics!). Lots of guys didn't believe it cause they didn't see it. The Boeing guy blew us all away when he showed the video proving it had been done!

Good stuff.

Being involved with aviation for most of my career I've seen some cool stuff in person and on video. One memorable one is an F-15 doing a low pass over the runway here in Indy and about half way down the landing area he pulls back, fires off the burners and goes straight up until he was almost out of sight. We were probably too close cause we could feel the heat! Another is an old grainy video a Boeing rep showed at a training class years ago of a Boeing test pilot doing a barrel roll in a B707. It was before the web so the video might be somewhere out there, but the neat part at the time was that it was kind of a long story told in the industry. ( commercials aren't supposed to be able to do acrobatics!). Lots of guys didn't believe it cause they didn't see it. The Boeing guy blew us all away when he showed the video proving it had been done!

is this the 707 Roll your talking about?

Great Find!!!

Yea that was it. It didn't have the commentary from the pilot when I saw it. The Boeing rep kinda told the same story thou...

Too cool. Probably not super impressive to a non aviation type as fighters and stunt planes do rolls all the time. Commercial aircraft are not built to handle attitudes like that. In fact crashes have happened because a commercial will get in an unusual attitude and the structure will start coming apart. Not good!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All nice!!

The lowest, fastest low-level I was in was a CH53A at 5 feet at 170kts over a lake. I was the crew chief, not the driver.

Here is what the old BUFF could do.

Sorry, only 1 BUFF, and it ain't a heliccopter. :sight: I've seen tree debris stuck in radio and ECM antennas on the belly of a B-52 one time, after landing. No, I wasn't flying :blink:

And one crusty old stan/eval pilot who could dish out (think partial barrel roll) a BUFF 160 degrees or so but, without taking it over all the way (he swore he could do the full roll but thank god I wasn't onboard if he ever did). There is no film of any of that of course.

I did have some low pass footage for a few B-52s clearing a ridge somewhere, pretty low, 50 to 75 feet maybe, but its on tape. Let me see if I can find it.